Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
10521 - 10540 of 10619 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Double Din mod on a early 1999 ( lots of filing and cutting, complete custom job ) with a cheapie Carplay unit.. looks great. Works well and matches illumination. You can still see my custom usb port in the dash from my car computer 20 years ago, literally a Celeron 300a in a BookPC chassis. View attachment 104032
Any advice/tips on how you added the USB port to the "blank button"? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Any advice/tips on how you added the USB port to the "blank button"? Thanks in advance!
I started with a usb extension cable I then "unfolded" the outside 90 degree bends on the female end to make it like the male side as a visual, if that makes sense? I used a template, dremel and some filing to make it really snug. Finally, I poked it through folded back the parts to finish the mount and used some stif hot glue sticks to tack the corers from the back to hold it... 20 years and it is still there. Thank for the question and good luck!

·
Registered
951 Posts
Reactions: VAGguy

·
Registered
468 Posts
I grabbed a bunch of radio control knobs from the junkyard.

If I remember correctly, someone(s) was looking for these. Let me know and I can mail them out to you.
I have 3 complete 5-knob sets. 1 was hiding when I took the photo ( camera shy?).

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,480 Posts
I grabbed a bunch of radio control knobs from the junkyard. View attachment 104213
If I remember correctly, someone(s) was looking for these. Let me know and I can mail them out to you.
I have 3 complete 5-knob sets. 1 was hiding when I took the photo ( camera shy?).
[mention]AndreasPassat [/mention]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Dropped the gas tank in my daughter's wagon to try to finally find the source of the EVAP leak. The good news is I think I found the leak. The bad news is that I busted the suspect part while trying to remove it. It is of course NLA so it's off to the junkyards tomorrow to look for one.

If you squint just right you can see a bubble behind the hose in front, sort of in the back corner. It wasn't much but it seemed to be moving during the EVAP test and I've eliminated everything up to this point.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Dropped the gas tank in my daughter's wagon to try to finally find the source of the EVAP leak. The good news is I think I found the leak. The bad news is that I busted the suspect part while trying to remove it. It is of course NLA so it's off to the junkyards tomorrow to look for one.

If you squint just right you can see a bubble behind the hose in front, sort of in the back corner. It wasn't much but it seemed to be moving during the EVAP test and I've eliminated everything up to this point. View attachment 104214
So… what’s the part that’s NLA?

·
Registered
951 Posts
Speaking of NLA parts. Does anyone know where they can find a 4Mo driver’s side rear Brake splash shield? It’s 8E0615611E. None left at any dealer in N/A… if there’s a good one in a dry region junk yard someone might be able to find? I’m looking for really good shape used or new. 😌

·
Registered
28,510 Posts
Speaking of NLA parts. Does anyone know where they can find a 4Mo driver’s side rear Brake splash shield? It’s 8E0615611E. None left at any dealer in N/A… if there’s a good one in a dry region junk yard someone might be able to find? I’m looking for really good shape used or new. 😌
Seems unlikely that they actually have one. It's best to call to confirm:

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
Went to start my 98 GLS after months of sitting. Dead battery.
It's funny, this exact car sat for a year in my driveway up in WI and it started just fine.
Down here, these summer temps just sap everything out of everything.

Reactions: Rob.Achmann

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
Was able to jump start the car without much effort. Aired up the tires and gave it a 40 mile drive out on the breezeway.
Now it drives like it's got round tires again.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I grabbed a bunch of radio control knobs from the junkyard. View attachment 104213
@AndreasPassat
VAGguy thought you might be needing these?

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
@AndreasPassat
VAGguy thought you might be needing these?
Well I'll be a monkeys uncle. Yes I do.
I got a set from another member Iowegian a couple weeks back.
But I could use another 2 sets if somebody wants to part with them.

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
Just another example of the AZ sun and what it can do.

Got in the W8 today and there was this... :confused:

You know, one of the reasons I moved down here is because I'm tired of my cars rusting away. I don't have any more rust, but the sun is destroying my cars in other ways. Just can't win.

Reactions: PZ and axenstar

·
Registered
327 Posts
I charged the battery to one of my W8 cars, and started it. It's one I bought from a member here, I've been debating parting it out and doing the 6 speed swap into one of my other W8 cars. It's just so much work to swap, but should be fun.

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
I charged the battery to one of my W8 cars, and started it. It's one I bought from a member here, I've been debating parting it out and doing the 6 speed swap into one of my other W8 cars. It's just so much work to swap, but should be fun.
A manual 6 speed is awesome. I would never have it any other way.

Reactions: Airkewld38
10521 - 10540 of 10619 Posts