Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

10301 - 10320 of 10347 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Put on new running board rear extension caps - more of the physical damage incurred by the previous owner’s son... I actually replaced the driver’s side as well as it was missing the front holding tab and was bent.... also got a new air box cover and emblem for the manifold cover... yeah - all truly unnecessary but I want to spend some time making the car look less like I found it abandoned in a ditch. I have a new wheel fender liner for the passenger front - again part of the ravages of poor driving and judgement... So that’s going in sometime this weekend.

Reactions: cchief22

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Put on new running board rear extension caps - more of the physical damage incurred by the previous owner’s son... I actually replaced the driver’s side as well as it was missing the front holding tab and was bent.... also got a new air box cover and emblem for the manifold cover... yeah - all truly unnecessary but I want to spend some time making the car look less like I found it abandoned in a ditch. I have a new wheel fender liner for the passenger front - again part of the ravages of poor driving and judgement... So that’s going in sometime this weekend.
They have emblems ???? where ? what? how?

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
The only time I can remember seeing a VW emblem on the engine cover is on a new car.

·
Registered
28,209 Posts
I know on one garage day we found multiple missing 1.8T VW emblems stuck in the heat shields of the oil lines above the turbo on several cars. I know my V6 still had it's emblem, but my 1.8T swap did not have an engine cover, I liked the look of the red topped coils better.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,200 Posts
definitely gonna get one, puts a little pazzzzaaaazzz under the hood.
I replaced mine too. Definitely completes the package.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I finally figured out how to use the built in garage door opener! Now my sun visor opens both doors (one at a time lol). It's a two stage process - first synch the visor (home link?) buttons to the real remote control from the instructions in the Passat manual. Then, after that, then you turn on the learning mode of the actual garage door opening machine thingy and follow its steps to add a new controller. Voila! Now my original controller can go in my other car. The only caveat is that the car must be in the ON position to get battery power for the home link to work.

Reactions: PZ and twowagens

·
Registered
844 Posts
I repaired the ripped off fog light wiring harness plug with a replacement from aliexpress.com (many cheap parts for these things) and used the shrinking-self soldering wire connectors - and caved and bought proper 55W halogen bulbs - BOY the fogs are bright now!!

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
Well, I almost got my coilovers installed. They're put together, I just am waiting on the four upper control arms and bolt package to finish installing everything. Stupid bolts all seized and broke. I had to cut the arms off just to remove them.
If the upper control arms are junk anyways, just busting them off is the fastest way to go.
I usually drop the whole strut assembly by removing the (3) screws from the shock tower (engine area) and then just twist off the upper control arms from the ball joint socket. They come apart surprisingly easy.

Reactions: Rob.Achmann

·
Registered
281 Posts
Sadly the bolts broken trying to remove them. They weren't bad, but they definitely are now. Plus, new ones won't hurt to be installed.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I finally figured out how to use the built in garage door opener! Now my sun visor opens both doors (one at a time lol). It's a two stage process - first synch the visor (home link?) buttons to the real remote control from the instructions in the Passat manual. Then, after that, then you turn on the learning mode of the actual garage door opening machine thingy and follow its steps to add a new controller. Voila! Now my original controller can go in my other car. The only caveat is that the car must be in the ON position to get battery power for the home link to work.
I tried it once and gave up - didn't think to try it with the key ON though.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I thought that VCDS-Lite would at least scan your codes... NOPE!

VCDS-Lite Version: Release 1.2
Thursday, 03 June 2021, 21:57:13.

Chassis Type: 3B - VW Passat B5
Scan: 01,02,03,08,15,16,17,19,35,36,37,46,47,55,56,57,58,75,76,77

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine Labels: 078-907-551-ATQ.LBL
Controller: 3B0 907 551 DB
Component: 2.8L V6/5V G 0010
Coding: 07751
Shop #: WSC 05311
VCID: 66BF359B117F
WVWYH63B54E061834 VWZ7Z0C7859077
3 Faults Found:
16825 - EVAP Emission Control Sys: Incorrect Flow
P0441 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
17584 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P1176 - 35-00 - Please Register/Activate
16523 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P0139 - 35-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent
Readiness: 0000 0000

Address 02: Auto Trans Labels: 01V-927-156.LBL
Controller: 3B0 927 156 BA
Component: AG5 01V 2.8l5V USA 2222
Coding: 01102
VCID: 66BF359B117F
No fault code found.

Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 4B0-614-517.LBL
Controller: 4B0 614 517 H
Component: ABS/ESP allrad 3428
Coding: 04257
VCID: 263F759BD1FF
No fault code found.

I am so F*#&^()!% tired of crappy [email protected])(&# companies with click bait apps. I want to &@^$(@*^%$% their @&^#&%@ mother&^%@&^$%#$ (@*&)(@&@ @(&@&^@$%@ BEEEEEEEEEP BEEEEEP BEEEEEP

.. uhh ok, got that out of my system...

Those @(#&$#%^@ DI@&#^$% @*&@^#^#

nope, there was still a bit...

better now,,.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
uhhh...I think VCDS is a great product and if you have ever written firmware you would understand why it costs money. Yeah, the freeware version is a bit of bait to get you to buy the real thing but the real thing is so worth it. It should serve you well for a long time and it well worth the $$ IMHO. Now I feel better too ! ;)

·
Registered
844 Posts
uhhh...I think VCDS is a great product and if you have ever written firmware you would understand why it costs money. Yeah, the freeware version is a bit of bait to get you to buy the real thing but the real thing is so worth it. It should serve you well for a long time and it well worth the $$ IMHO. Now I feel better too ! ;)
I completely understand the effort of writing such an interface and application. I’ve built similar ones that were dually certified by the network system provider and the Government of Canada. I applaud their efforts. I do not deny the value it offers. [FSO] However, also consider that the application is 10 years old, with zero work done on it since the last build. They DO allow for 3rd party cables, not just their cable, and their ‘free for personal use’ policy is plainly rubbish. It’s old school boy mentality from the 1970’s and frankly childish. [FSO]

Edit: Ross-tech did get back to me. I’ll have to try it, but they said you can go into each module individually and read all codes that way. Ok, that’s fair. Annoying, but I can live with that. But they say you still won’t get all the details per DTC. So again, the purpose of the application is not free in the lite version.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,200 Posts
I completely understand the effort of writing such an interface and application. I’ve built similar ones that were dually certified by the network system provider and the Government of Canada. I applaud their efforts. I do not deny the value it offers. [FSO] However, also consider that the application is 10 years old, with zero work done on it since the last build. They DO allow for 3rd party cables, not just their cable, and their ‘free for personal use’ policy is plainly rubbish. It’s old school boy mentality from the 1970’s and frankly childish. [FSO]

Edit: Ross-tech did get back to me. I’ll have to try it, but they said you can go into each module individually and read all codes that way. Ok, that’s fair. Annoying, but I can live with that. But they say you still won’t get all the details per DTC. So again, the purpose of the application is not free in the lite version.
you get the codes, that is what matters. It won't tell you what they are, you'll have to look them up. I rarely use VCDS now. I primarily use a cheap wifi OBD dongle and Carista app on my phone. OBDeleven is also an alternative.

·
Registered
844 Posts
you get the codes, that is what matters. It won't tell you what they are, you'll have to look them up. I rarely use VCDS now. I primarily use a cheap wifi OBD dongle and Carista app on my phone. OBDeleven is also an alternative.
Yeah, considering the single VIN limit on the registered VCDS and highly limited reporting and automation in the lite version, I bought the Ancel VD700 - it can even bleed the ABS unit, retract brake pads on later models, register batteries, write module codes (adaptation), and many more functions for unlimited VINs.

10301 - 10320 of 10347 Posts