Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

10261 - 10268 of 10268 Posts

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
This is taking me down memory lane for sure.

I thought I had an actual picture of this, but can't find it at the moment.

This part circled in red is transmission hydraulic fluid filter base for Caterpillar.
Part# 245-6517
Used on the 777 mining dump truck transmission and the D9 bulldozer transmission.
Mass is 24lbs.

The blue arrow is a cutaway view of the filter base.
Item 10 is a spool and item 11 is a spring.
The spool dia is 1.250"
The spool bore as it's called goes through multiple internal webs of material. The material type is heat treated Nodular Iron and it's a bastard to machine.
Every time you pass through a web of material you get a piece of material that breaks off. (just like the shaving posted by 2PassatsGuyCT)
I remember having to take trips down to Joliet IL because of broken of chunks of material being left inside the part.

Little informative tidbits.
The filter cartridge is about 3 feet long and about 8" dia.
Oil pressure through the filter is 400PSI.

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 Passat 1.9 TDI
8 Posts
Someone changed the antenna by making it longer and outside the rear bumper (under the bumper cover). Search for that post. I bought a new key fob from Amazon and it’s at least 3x the range of the VW fob
That makes sense. I took the car to the car wash a while back and the antenna broke. Didn’t really think about that, thanks!

·
Registered
746 Posts
That makes sense. I took the car to the car wash a while back and the antenna broke. Didn’t really think about that, thanks!
I think you’ve broken off the radio antenna in the car wash. Wrong antenna, As the key fob antenna is under the skin - I think the original key fob antenna is up the inside of the driver’s a/pillar?? Search for the post : it was moved to be under the rear plastic bumper cover on the bottom of the car

·
Registered
2003 Passat 1.9 TDI
8 Posts
I think you’ve broken off the radio antenna in the car wash. Wrong antenna, As the key fob antenna is under the skin - I think the original key fob antenna is up the inside of the driver’s a/pillar?? Search for the post : it was moved to be under the rear plastic bumper cover on the bottom of the car
Of course... I’ll have a look. Thanks again!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Well today I get to figure out how to remove some ever so common broken bolts. We were trying to get the control arms and tie rods off to install the coilovers and every bolt has broken off. So now I'm not sure what to do about it. A bit frustrating really. I'm looking for replacement bolts but all I can find are ones that come in an entire kit with new arms for the front end. Oh well I guess.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,102 Posts
Well today I get to figure out how to remove some ever so common broken bolts. We were trying to get the control arms and tie rods off to install the coilovers and every bolt has broken off. So now I'm not sure what to do about it. A bit frustrating really. I'm looking for replacement bolts but all I can find are ones that come in an entire kit with new arms for the front end. Oh well I guess.
I have a bunch of leftover bolts from previous installs. Many are reusable. Let me know which ones you need and I can look through what I have. Cost of priority shipping is what I'd need. Or you can get something like this. Audi VW Control Arm Bolt Kit - Febi 21497

Google "B5 suspension hardware".

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
I'd just cut all the bolt heads off, scrap them and buy that new kit from FCP Euro that VAGguy posted. Then reward yourself with your favorite beverage.

Reactions: Airkewld38

·
Registered
44 Posts
Finally put my NY Registration sticker on it from the 10 day temp one from when I bought the car new on March 8. Figured about time to put the proper one on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

washed it..... now clean and happy.

10261 - 10268 of 10268 Posts