Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

10241 - 10260 of 10268 Posts

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
Not today, but last night...
I washed my 1998 GLS (daily driver) pretty sure for the first time this year. Yeah that's right.

We went out to eat for early dinner last night, not thinking I parked under an advertising sign.
When we came out to the car we noticed the pigeons repainted my car.
Right after we stuffed ourselves with Mexican, my wife insisted we wash the car ASAP.

Have to admit, it feels pretty darn good to have a super clean car.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I today had one of those rare cases where everything made sense and the fix actually seems to work. Got a CEL with the P0456 code. Already had replaced the o-ring on the gas cap so checked the EVAP purge valve. Car has 210k miles and still had the original valve. Used a hand vacuum pump to test and indeed had a slow leak. Ordered a new part, received it today, and installed it. Then ran block 071 and now seems to be fixed. Reset the fault codes so hopefully will be back to normal tomorrow. Got to use my tools, was quick, and actually seems to have fixed the issue.
Should have known better after 19 years with this car. Nothing is ever simple or quick. CEL came back during drive today. Have not yet gotten the courage to check but I'm sure it is my good friend P0456 again so will have to dig deeper into the tank/filling area like the earlier poster.

·
Registered
28,069 Posts
Not quite work on the Passat, but next to the donor car :) Our external garage door opener died. Last month, I found a new one for $10, but the seller said it was not the right one for his opener based on the "learn button" color. Sure enough, when I got home and checked, it was the wrong one for mine. Today I finally felt well enough to do a little work. I pulled the old opener apart and it broke as it's glued together. The new one uses screws. I removed the old circuit board, cleaned it and installed it in the new opener with the new keypad. Works great and I am happy to be able to do at least something after the last 2 weeks.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I am gonna guess something off a bearing but could not locate it. Pretty thin pieces, very hard. Maybe something from turbo? I was baffled myself
turbo impeller? wow

Reactions: 2PassatsGuyCT

·
Registered
50 Posts
turbo impeller? wow
Still takes off pretty strong when I put the hammer down so I have to count my blessings and keep an eye on this. I should have installed one of those magnetic oil pan plug. May have helped in this case for sure.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Still takes off pretty strong when I put the hammer down so I have to count my blessings and keep an eye on this. I should have installed one of those magnetic oil pan plug. May have helped in this case for sure.
Wouldn't those pieces be aluminuminum? Magnet wouldn't help

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
I am gonna guess something off a bearing but could not locate it. Pretty thin pieces, very hard. Maybe something from turbo? I was baffled myself
I just wonder if it was left over from the original machining at the factory suppliers machine shop.
Those look just like shavings from a cutting tool.
Has this engine ever been opened up before?

Reactions: 2PassatsGuyCT

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,102 Posts
Valve cover gasket was leaking down the front at the corner by the exhaust cam. Put it back together and forgot the cam baffles on the intake cam. D’oh! Seems to be holding fine after a quick r&r to correct. Everything runs great, no odd sounds, oil pretty fresh. Cam lobes are smooth as a babies butt.

177k miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just realized that I have only driven it 1k miles in 7 months since this post. just about to hit 178k.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just wonder if it was left over from the original machining at the factory suppliers machine shop.
Those look just like shavings from a cutting tool.
Has this engine ever been opened up before?
Never truly opened up engine for any major service. Car only has 86k on it. I’ll have to keep a close eye on next oil change

·
Registered
50 Posts
Maybe part of the seal from a bottle of oil? Is it hard, soft, metallic, ?? Inquiring minds want to know....
I am adamant about those oil can pieces never getting close to the car, but the pieces I found were very hard. A couple pieces about 1/2-3/4” with a few much smaller pieces.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Wouldn't those pieces be aluminuminum? Magnet wouldn't help
I did not put a magnet to them but when cleaning the pan I took my magnet to the corners and caught a fine little collection of filings. Definitely metal. Clutch slips a little so possibly something from there.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Sorry, turbo impeller was a dumb idea of mine. Thinking of flow- air inlet -> turbo -> intake -> valves -> cylinder-> exhaust -> turbo -> tailpipe. Unless your piston rings somehow let metal bits slip by them, nothing from the turbo is getting into the crankcase.

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
Never truly opened up engine for any major service. Car only has 86k on it. I’ll have to keep a close eye on next oil change
All the more for me to conclude it's from the original machining process.

·
Registered
746 Posts
All the more for me to conclude it's from the original machining process.
Sure, but original machining process of what? Would a mechanic have slapped it on the car with anything in it or anything in the pan?

·
Registered
2003 Passat 1.9 TDI
8 Posts
Replaced the battery in the key fob, which helped a lot. However, I’m not impressed with the range of the signal. If I’m standing more than six feet away the doors won’t lock or unlock. Is this to be expected or can this be fixed/improved?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Replaced the battery in the key fob, which helped a lot. However, I’m not impressed with the range of the signal. If I’m standing more than six feet away the doors won’t lock or unlock. Is this to be expected or can this be fixed/improved?
Someone changed the antenna by making it longer and outside the rear bumper (under the bumper cover). Search for that post. I bought a new key fob from Amazon and it’s at least 3x the range of the VW fob

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
Sure, but original machining process of what? Would a mechanic have slapped it on the car with anything in it or anything in the pan?
During the mass production of either the engine block or cylinder heads (I'm leaning towards cylinder head). The reason I say that?
That chip or shaving is 100% conducive to what kind of machining gets done in the cylinder head.
They chunk this stuff out by the hundreds per shift.
It's up to somebody to visually check for debris. Easily missed when the chip / shaving falls into some crevice and then compressed air pushed it in even further.
Trust me, this is a very real scenario and it happens. Back in WI I was involved with many production lines and you'd be surprised as to what gets past the "inspection process".
When I was involved with producing transmission oil filter bases for CAT, they had actually had an allowable PPM particulate contamination (leftover debris from machining) called out right on their blueprints.

·
Registered
746 Posts
During the mass production of either the engine block or cylinder heads (I'm leaning towards cylinder head). The reason I say that?
That chip or shaving is 100% conducive to what kind of machining gets done in the cylinder head.
They chunk this stuff out by the hundreds per shift.
It's up to somebody to visually check for debris. Easily missed when the chip / shaving falls into some crevice and then compressed air pushed it in even further.
Trust me, this is a very real scenario and it happens. Back in WI I was involved with many production lines and you'd be surprised as to what gets past the "inspection process".
When I was involved with producing transmission oil filter bases for CAT, they had actually had an allowable PPM particulate contamination (leftover debris from machining) called out right on their blueprints.
That’s really cool - scary - but cool!

10241 - 10260 of 10268 Posts