Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

10021 - 10038 of 10038 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
So... I thought the smell I was experiencing was coolant leak... I’ve been tearing apart the engine over and over again to find it, and going extra lengths to ensure no leak. There truly is no coolant leak now as the level never drops... so what’s the smell? My wife went for a trip with me and when the smell came again - after heavier acceleration- or slowing down greatly after highway speeds - she said that’s a gas smell. As soon as she said that, it took me a while to come around, but she’s right ( the injector washers I need to replace too, like Tortellini just did. So that’s interesting though. Because I was expecting coolant smell, that’s what I smelled? Damn weird. I think the pattern of it occurring maybe reflects the high fuel pressure state until the fuel pump settles down into regular pressure mode in slower speeds? The return line can’t take the fuel back as fast as it should because of the weak worn out o-rings on the injectors?

Reactions: cchief22

·
Registered
383 Posts
I had good luck at the junk yard today. Found a door panel :

...with NO sagging !

Also found a cargo cover(?).

Mine never had one when I bought it. It might need to be re-tensioned, but I think I saw a "how-to" somewhere.

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
So... I thought the smell I was experiencing was coolant leak... I’ve been tearing apart the engine over and over again to find it, and going extra lengths to ensure no leak. There truly is no coolant leak now as the level never drops... so what’s the smell? My wife went for a trip with me and when the smell came again - after heavier acceleration- or slowing down greatly after highway speeds - she said that’s a gas smell. As soon as she said that, it took me a while to come around, but she’s right ( the injector washers I need to replace too, like Tortellini just did. So that’s interesting though. Because I was expecting coolant smell, that’s what I smelled? Damn weird. I think the pattern of it occurring maybe reflects the high fuel pressure state until the fuel pump settles down into regular pressure mode in slower speeds? The return line can’t take the fuel back as fast as it should because of the weak worn out o-rings on the injectors?
Those o-rings on the top of the injector are pretty important. The fuel pressure is right around 60psi at all times - while the engine is running.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Those o-rings on the top of the injector are pretty important. The fuel pressure is right around 60psi at all times - while the engine is running.
So I have the fuel rail unbolted, all injectors disconnected, vacuum disconnected... how do I lift off the fuel rail? Might the old o-rings be ‘stuck’ to the manifold? How much force should I use to pull up the fuel rail and injectors form the manifold? Or is there some disconnection thing you have to do with the injectors? Should I remove the safety clips holding the injectors to the rail first?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Yep, for the 2.8 you need 12 total. I didn't buy new clips - mine were still in good shape.

Question for anyone who has done this - how the Hell do you get those little filter baskets out ?

<edit> #8 x 1 1/2" wood screw did the trick.
How do you lift off the fuel rail? Just pull up?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Reactions: VAGguy

·
Registered
383 Posts
I'm not a morning person. But it looks like you got it figured out. I trust that you cleaned out w/ compressed air before you removed the rail ?

When I re-installed them, I coated the new o-rings with motor oil and I also gave the manifold injector seats a coat too. They will noticeably pop back into place so you know they are fully seated. I moved the rail around a bit to make sure, but probably not necessary.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I'm not a morning person. But it looks like you got it figured out. I trust that you cleaned out w/ compressed air before you removed the rail ?

When I re-installed them, I coated the new o-rings with motor oil and I also gave the manifold injector seats a coat too. They will noticeably pop back into place so you know they are fully seated. I moved the rail around a bit to make sure, but probably not necessary.
Yeah, I was very happy at how much fatter these o-rings were, and they did ‘pop’ in. After bolting down the rail, I gave a small tap with the end of a screwdriver to jar each of them down a smidge. No more smell when stopping from highway speeds!! Whoohoo!

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,960 Posts
I bought some o-rings for my 1.8T months ago. I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend. Also, pulse cleaning of the actual injector tip.

Like this: starting @15:00. I like that gadget.
Anyone have a recommendation on injector cleaner in a spray can? Maybe TB or Carb cleaner?

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
For the last few months I was stressing over the timing belt on my 1998 GLS V6 as it was in spring of 2014 the last time the timing belt was changed.
So today I finally popped the timing belt covers off for a quick timing belt inspection. To my utter amazement the belt still looks brand new.
I was expecting all kinds of cracking on the belt from the extreme under hood temperatures during the summer months down here.
As it turns out I've only put around 50k miles on it after digging around through my records.
I'm good for a nice long road trip. Hint hint.

Sent you a message PZ.

Reactions: Rob.Achmann and PZ

·
Registered
590 Posts
2 days and still no leaks... and funny, that blue racing timing belt that added 50 HP to the GLX V6 is as silent (more silent?) as ever!

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
2 days and still no leaks... and funny, that blue racing timing belt that added 50 HP to the GLX V6 is as silent (more silent?) as ever!
Yeah well...
I'm certainly glad it worked out for you. There must have been some kind of weird wear pattern on my cam pulleys cause the shrieking that was coming of those pulleys was downright unnerving.

Reactions: Rob.Achmann

·
Registered
590 Posts
Yeah well...
I'm certainly glad it worked out for you. There must have been some kind of weird wear pattern on my cam pulleys cause the shrieking that was coming of those pulleys was downright unnerving.
lolol I'm just yankin' yer chain... but if you need me to properly change your belt next time, leave me a note!

Reactions: PZ

·
Registered
5,977 Posts

·
Registered
27,871 Posts
That reminds me, I doubt I will ever change another Passat belt. The remaining one is my older son's 2001.5 V6 fwd 5sp manual and we changed it at 57K when we bought the car about 4.5 years ago. I doubt it has much over 82K on it now.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Bought some Bilsteins & Lesjofors for when the weather stays warmer. Also, bought a VAG Tacho cable which arrived today. Plan on cracking open an ECU or 2 this weekend.

10021 - 10038 of 10038 Posts