Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

9981 - 10000 of 10038 Posts

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
When you do the rad support, can you show pics of how to disconnect the various non-coolant hoses from the rad? The two on Passenger side back of the rad. I couldn’t see how to get those off once the nut is loose. What - power steering coolant? Or? The transmission cooler pipes go around in front of the rad on the driver’s side, so I’m not sure what they are... oh, something with A/C? No - they go to the condenser out front too...
It's all hind sight now.
I just swapped out a radiator in my wife's car a couple of months ago.

Reactions: Rob.Achmann

·
Registered
27,870 Posts
I thought there were 2 bolts holding the trans cooler lines to the trans. One at the bottom, another near the top. For the a/c, you just remove the condensor from the support and flip it to the side. The lines go around the support, not through it. You can see it on the bottom left of these pics:

·
Registered
590 Posts
I thought there were 2 bolts holding the trans cooler lines to the trans. One at the bottom, another near the top. For the a/c, you just remove the condensor from the support and flip it to the side. The lines go around the support, not through it. You can see it on the bottom left of these pics:
View attachment 102278 View attachment 102279
Sure, but I’ll take a pic of the lines into the back of the rad (not the rad support) in the morning. I’m positive it’s nothing to do with the A/C

·
Registered
9,735 Posts
Sure, but I’ll take a pic of the lines into the back of the rad (not the rad support) in the morning. I’m positive it’s nothing to do with the A/C
The 2 lines that connect into the back of the radiator on the passenger side (US), are the transmission cooler lines.
The 2 lines that go in front of the radiator on the driver side are the power steering cooler lines.

·
Registered
590 Posts
A number of things..

new fuel filter in..

new oil cooler gasket - you can see how the old one separated so I couldn’t seat it properly anymore... also very much over-torqued...

new... reset.. sender hose. I took out the hard pipe to clean up the thingy where the quick connector does it’s thing - and like the lower water pipe that now does NOT leak, added a layer of rust/heat paint with a brand new gasket.

replaced the broken valve cover breather hose.. the one I got is like OEM but after shipping - and the resulting shape - I needed to bake the tube at 121.6F (lol) 120F to allow you to bend and twist the thing to proper shape. You can see the before pic here how it won’t sit right at 38F after shipping.

but really, I think I’m procrastinating from dealing with this stuff..

Reactions: axenstar and PZ

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Where's that hose?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Haha - no, it’s just not all together yet. I leave that off so when I fill it with coolant, I can easily bleed the nut down on the hard pipe. It’s just pushed back a bit into the dark. Someone said they don’t need to. You DO need to. When I bleed that back one, I can add at least 1.5 more litres of coolant (and more if I had removed the oil cooler)

Reactions: VAGguy and PZ

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Haha - no, it’s just not all together yet. I leave that off so when I fill it with coolant, I can easily bleed the nut down on the hard pipe. It’s just pushed back a bit into the dark. Someone said they don’t need to. You DO need to. When I bleed that back one, I can add at least 1.5 more litres of coolant (and more if I had removed the oil cooler)
All righty then, carry on.

Reactions: Rob.Achmann

·
Registered
590 Posts
Took it out for a test drive... fingers crossed, but it seems all fine... quieter? With a new fuel filter, it doesn’t seem to be struggling to get fuel? I have NO idea if that is a reasonable assumption... a couple of drips down on the oil pan and cooler, but not sure if those are from residual oil I couldn’t get to to clean up - the power steering (??) or AC compressor (??) right above it didn’t look any messier after I cleaned what I could there and the surrounding pipes also look clean.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Did you have to buy a new bracket or was yours still in one piece? Mine was MIA and I had to use zip-ties to secure the new filter.
The closure seems to be missing for the filter bracket, and the previous mechanic used a zip tie to tie it closed. I figured the same would work again, so that’s what I did. Nice and snug.

Reactions: VAGguy

·
Registered
590 Posts
Someone in my Facebook Passat group bought a 2004 V6 with less than 50K original miles. An old lady owned it all her life. Hasn’t been driven since 2016.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beautiful! Do they want to sell? 🤩

Reactions: axenstar

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
What a W8? Oh it's a wagon, I'll let this one pass. :LOL:
Seriously, that would be a good car to get. Wonder if it had recall/service bulletins taking care of?

·
Registered
250 Posts
If that were a W8 wagon I'd be all over it. That's The exact color I want. Looks nice.
I'm trying to remove a radio, and it seems like the clips won't budge. I've used two different types of tools to remove it but still won't go. Any ideas from you all about it?

·
Registered
590 Posts
If that were a W8 wagon I'd be all over it. That's The exact color I want. Looks nice.
I'm trying to remove a radio, and it seems like the clips won't budge. I've used two different types of tools to remove it but still won't go. Any ideas from you all about it?
Push it more in first, then use the clips? Maybe it want seated correctly?

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,960 Posts
Pop out the switched on either side and try to push in the spring retainers. You can see them @1:22 in this clip.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Post 10K! I should rename my ID to 10K

Reactions: VAGguy
9981 - 10000 of 10038 Posts