Moderator/Administrator
24,872 Posts
A few random shots from Snorkfest 2011:
View attachment 101860
Wagons Ho, mine, a W8, a 1.8T, not sure and a B6:
View attachment 101861
Scott's Supercharged V6:
View attachment 101862
Ha! That Blue Silver Wagon is mine. I think I was in between suspensions and wheels. Was it only 2011? I thought it was farther back than that. First time I met you. I think that was the year we all put Matt's Baja up on the big rock in Jay's yard, no?

Edit: It was 2011, and matt's baja was on a rock a time or two prior. Snorkfest V announcement! They were all so fun, I started hosting my own. SF IV was out of control though. Me and Matt (vwb5t) were so hammered, we couldn't see the numbers on the hotel room doors and just started wiping our cards until one unlocked. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Iowegian

·
Registered
531 Posts
My son works as a security guard for a COVID testing facility, and on his break, walks over to the coffee shop. There was a homeless guy there and my son gave him his half pack of cigarettes. He then asked the guy if he needed any money. He said he ate at the shelter at lunch time, but if he could have a dollar, that would be great. He’s a bit hungry again. The man did look like he was hurting and looked like he could use more food. My son gave him a twenty for some food. The homeless man was very thankful. ... I just thought I’d share a moment from my son’s day. It’s cold here, and he looked out for some guy he didn’t know. Nice. Merry Christmas guys.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
Pretty sure it was a 390. It had been swapped from a manual to an automatic. It used a rope rear mail seal, so I had to lift the motor to drop the pan and rear crank cap, then push the new seal around the crank from below. Ne need to remove the trans.
Nice.
Yeah my first '66 Ford pick-up had a 352 in it with rope rear main seal. I converted it to the rubber lip seal. Pull off the main bearing cap and push the new seal from the bottom, same as doing the rope seal.
My current '66 Ford pick-up also has a 352 in it. Whenever I get it shipped down here I'm going to have to start working on it. It needs major work.

·
Registered
27,757 Posts
Ha! That Blue Silver Wagon is mine. I think I was in between suspensions and wheels. Was it only 2011? I thought it was farther back than that. First time I met you. I think that was the year we all put Matt's Baja up on the big rock in Jay's yard, no?

Edit: It was 2011, and Matt's Baja was on a rock a time or two prior. Snorkfest V announcement! They were all so fun, I started hosting my own. SF IV was out of control though. Me and Matt (vwb5t) were so hammered, we couldn't see the numbers on the hotel room doors and just started wiping our cards until one unlocked. :ROFLMAO:
Yes, it was 2011 according to the date taken. We drove in from my parents house in Ohio and stopped overnight nearby, then headed to Tanglewood that night as my son was playing there the next day.
I was also there for putting the Baja on the rock too in 2008. It was a mess as we were in Bar Harbor for vacation when my son got a call, they needed him to play at Tanglewood the next weekend, which was the day before we were to arrive in Ct. We had to drive back to Boston on a Friday, pick up his tux and drive to Tanglewood. The Mass turnpike was a parking lot, so we got there around 2 or 3 am Saturday, slept a few hours and drove down. I was really out of it, despite not drinking. I missed one after that when we moved my son from Boston to Philly, a week before Snorkfest.
2008 SF pics:

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Got tired of driving with the stiff behind aftermarket rack and pinion I installed some months ago. Found brand new looking original ZF one today. No leaks, no damage at all.
The only thing is the inner rods move up and down rather easily with little resistance. Is it normal? Or should I replace them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27,757 Posts
You mean the move easily or there is up/down play on the inside joint ? No problem if they move easily, but play in the inner joint is an issue.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Got a dash light on my fuel cap. Not a surprise for aHave to get a new one. But omg, where am I going to find one that big!?!? (Matching Code for very small vacuum leak. But that could be from my hack job of a replacement for the ones between my combi valves

Reactions: PZ

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
Got a dash light on my fuel cap. Not a surprise for aHave to get a new one. But omg, where am I going to find one that big!?!? (Matching Code for very small vacuum leak. But that could be from my hack job of a replacement for the ones between my combi valves

View attachment 101980
At least now you know that light works. But then again, the error lights are the most durable part on a Passat.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,872 Posts

View attachment 101980
Clear it and see if it comes back. I used to have that happen to me about once a year. Never an issue beyond that. If it comes back then, plug the line from the Evap purge valve on the fender side, clear the code and see if it comes back. Search for the code to see more diagnostics.

Reactions: Rob.Achmann

·
Registered
531 Posts
Clear it and see if it comes back. I used to have that happen to me about once a year. Never an issue beyond that. If it comes back then, plug the line from the Evap purge valve on the fender side, clear the code and see if it comes back. Search for the code to see more diagnostics.
I’ve replaced the valve already, but there may truly be leaks in the hose from there to the throttle body- that hose looks awful - but I wish I had a smoker to test the rest. The actual hose from the blue connector coloured solenoid T-connection that goes along the side of the manifold to the vacuum pump by the ABS pump is no longer available from VW - but there is a part number for 3mm ‘hard’ tube available in 5m lengths; the difference being that there is no ‘bump’ at the connection to better hold it into the 5mm soft tubing it goes to. Should I use cinch clamps then? (The nasty ear clamps)

·
Registered
531 Posts
is there a way, via VIN, or knowing that it’s a B5.5 ATQ V6 4Motion GLX Wagon, whether or not my oil pan has a oil level sensor? (Yes, I’m too lazy to walk to the garage and look under...)

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
PZ, that "bug" looks hilarious. Thanks for the laugh.

I looked at my B5 today, with it's clearcoat mostly gone, and got depressed. I walked away. I have the red Colorado defective paint job. VW should offer some special discount to those of us who got a defective paint job.

·
Registered
9,685 Posts
is there a way, via VIN, or knowing that it’s a B5.5 ATQ V6 4Motion GLX Wagon, whether or not my oil pan has a oil level sensor? (Yes, I’m too lazy to walk to the garage and look under...)
I don't know if this helps, but...
My ROW B5 2000 V6 FWD Auto, has the oil level/temp sensor in the bottom of the oil pan.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Today, finally attacking that last coolant leak... got OEM heater core return hose... will rip out hard pipe to clean it up for proper seal. Will test connection out of car with almost boiling water...

·
Registered
531 Posts
Today, finally attacking that last coolant leak... got OEM heater core return hose... will rip out hard pipe to clean it up for proper seal. Will test connection out of car with almost boiling water...
So - see red mark in pic - that’s aftermarket quick connector and the stop and o-ring is farther away that OEM (green) from the spring clip. So the aftermarket can never seat properly against the pipe properly... I hope this finally solves the leak issue. Looks like it might

Reactions: VAGguy

·
Registered
5,821 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
That's exactly why I spend the extra money on Genuine.
I know others here have used aftermarket with success but my luck has run against me.

9881 - 9900 of 9946 Posts