Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

9761 - 9780 of 9791 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
You had me at “Passed inspection “. 👍

I agree on this one. Look in the rear spring lower area for a possible broken piece of the spring. Just happened to me 👍. Good luck
I replaced the spring on the driver's side rear and this noise is on the passenger rear side. It did pass inspection, but perhaps they missed that spring? They did miss the front driver's spring as that was the first spring I replaced... I'll check - and get the new rear shock mounts

These are actually the ones that fit the 4-Mo:

·
Registered
486 Posts
Just thought I'd mess with everyone's minds today with some Euro fun...

Reactions: axenstar

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,746 Posts
I don’t think we have this engine in North America, do we?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nope!

Damn! Makes me want to do a black interior swap now!

Reactions: AndreasPassat

·
Registered
486 Posts
You can order 'factory' Recaro seats for the W8 as well, from Europe... same heat cable hookups, just diff style of seat adjusters

·
Registered
486 Posts
NOT that I'm thinking about ever getting anything like that, or a W8...

Reactions: Franksdubinthebuf

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Reactions: Rob.Achmann

·
Registered
486 Posts
Good timing on the serpentine belt & tensioner. As soon as I ordered the part kit, I started to get that weird howling noise from a bad bearing lol The old one’s free wheel just spun and spun. Obviously dead. No more howl!

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Damn! Makes me want to do a black interior swap now!
You'll come around sooner or later and then realize I've been right all along. :p

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,746 Posts
You'll come around sooner or later and then realize I've been right all along. :p
My A4 is mythos black on black leather. Wife's Q5 is black int as well. I always have liked black. Just wasn't any around when I got my passat.

Reactions: AndreasPassat

·
Registered
27,577 Posts
Washed mine yesterday and vacuumed out the interior. Ran some errands and after the 4th start, the battery light came on and the "alternator workshop" popped up on the dash. They both went off as soon as I touched the throttle.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Washed mine yesterday and vacuumed out the interior. Ran some errands and after the 4th start, the battery light came on and the "alternator workshop" popped up on the dash. They both went off as soon as I touched the throttle.
Did they ever come back yet? That’s wild

·
Registered
486 Posts
Hot tip to remove rad hose. Use half of a adjustable wrench:

and use it to pry off the quick connector:

and it pops off when you pull the hose from the back!

Reactions: PZ

·
Registered
486 Posts
Hmm old vs new:

yeah, new is on top... SAME part number. Wow, the old one had, what, 100 km left on it??

Reactions: axenstar

·
Registered
27,577 Posts
Did they ever come back yet? That’s wild
That's what happened in January, but the light would take one run to redline or 2-3 minutes to go out then. Eventually it died a few minutes from home. The alternator and battery were dead. I got a new battery, but parked it for 6 months before replacing the alternator. It did the same warnings 3 weeks ago after I got it inspected. I only drive it once a week to keep the battery charged and stop the rotors from rusting. Once my rib cage gets better, I will check the wiring and voltages during multiple starts.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Hmm old vs new:

View attachment 101626

yeah, new is on top... SAME part number. Wow, the old one had, what, 100 km left on it??
It's amazing how these hoses can swell up. I remember the very first coolant hose I changed on my 1998 V6. I thought I had gotten the wrong hose cause it was so much different.

Reactions: Rob.Achmann

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Curious to see how this goes for you.
I was going to do this to mine but I ran into some small snags. I gave up on mine as I'm restricted to the apartment parking lot. (n)
Ultimately this is the way to go seeing as the W12 thermostat is significantly cheaper than the W8 thermostat. Figure that one out.
Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeah, the W12 part seems to be the way to go. Cheaper, and generally more available from what I could find online. The inlet has a couple of alignment pegs on it that are different from the W8 part, I just ground them off and everything fits up nice and snug. The harness is different too, but plugs right into the pigtail coming from the ecu on the car, you just end up with a bunch of extra wire to tuck away on the firewall.

She's back together, fresh coolant and running cooler than ever now. Not too bad of a job, but yeah, not fun if you don't have a garage and a couple of days to pick away at it. I suspect the old thermostat was slowly getting worse for a long time before it actually threw the code up.

9761 - 9780 of 9791 Posts