Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

9721 - 9740 of 9792 Posts

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,746 Posts
Does anyone know a really good brand of H3 style fog lights that are actually bright enough to make a difference? I'm having trouble as the ones I have bought are honestly dimmer than my nightlights in my hallways. They say 75W, but my marker lights are about twice as bright as these foolish bulbs. I bought Hella 75W halogens. Totally useless! There's no way they are 75W. I just stuck them in and secured the clip. I didn't think I put them in wrong... but who knows!
You should not go over the manufacturer standard wattage. The wires cannot handle that much current. That said, It sounds like you are expecting more of a driving light duty out of these rather than fog light. Have you tried re-aiming them?

Reactions: axenstar

·
Registered
486 Posts
You should not go over the manufacturer standard wattage. The wires cannot handle that much current. That said, It sounds like you are expecting more of a driving light duty out of these rather than fog light. Have you tried re-aiming them?
What is the wattage for OEM fog lights? I'd figure these fog lights were actually useful when new. That's all I want now - useful. :) - But no - I want fog lights - not beauty lights. I always end up in fog. I need something that helps. I heard that PIAA Ion Yellow fog lights are better than the clear ones - I wonder if anyone has had experience with them?

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,746 Posts
What is the wattage for OEM fog lights? I'd figure these fog lights were actually useful when new. That's all I want now - useful. :) - But no - I want fog lights - not beauty lights. I always end up in fog. I need something that helps. I heard that PIAA Ion Yellow fog lights are better than the clear ones - I wonder if anyone has had experience with them?
55 watts is oem.

·
Registered
27,577 Posts
Does anyone know a really good brand of H3 style fog lights that are actually bright enough to make a difference? I'm having trouble as the ones I have bought are honestly dimmer than my nightlights in my hallways. They say 75W, but my marker lights are about twice as bright as these foolish bulbs. I bought Hella 75W halogens. Totally useless! There's no way they are 75W. I just stuck them in and secured the clip. I didn't think I put them in wrong... but who knows!
You missed the really small decimal between the 7 and the 5 :p 7.5W is a bit more than average for a nightlight.

·
Registered
486 Posts
You missed the really small decimal between the 7 and the 5 :p 7.5W is a bit more than average for a nightlight.
Nope. I fully meant what I wrote: these fog light bulbs give out as much light or less than my night light

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Nope. I fully meant what I wrote: these fog light bulbs give out as much light or less than my night light
Maybe they are 7.5 W which would be a little brighter than a parking light or number plate light.
Or maybe they are 75W which is way too high for the wiring. The small wires would cause a voltage drop that might make them quite dull,
this could also set the car on fire.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would try Leds much brighter and pull less amps . I put some in my passat they are much brighter but looks like I need to change the housings if I want to get the most light.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Maybe they are 7.5 W which would be a little brighter than a parking light or number plate light.
Or maybe they are 75W which is way too high for the wiring. The small wires would cause a voltage drop that might make them quite dull,
this could also set the car on fire.
This makes sense and I’ll update to the proper ones. This is actually useful information.

thanks!

Reactions: Tomvw

·
Registered
486 Posts
Is there an LED kit for the dash? Or do I have to purchase a new cluster?

not very clear to see here but the LED’ are dead in various spots: top middle, a various other spots

I remember one of the youtubers named
M539 restorations bought an LED kit for cheap for his 750il but was wondering if there was similar for the Passat?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thats not individual bulbs .It is an LCD panel that has to be soldered in .
Clusters by Litske does some amazing work but doesnt come cheap .

·
Registered
486 Posts
I realize it’s a panel. I didn’t use my words. :). I had replaced one in a Volvo V70 and it was about $1800 new. I guessing somewhere similar here. Perhaps a repair kit is cheaper but I don’t know where to find them. And then what if you mess up the replace / install of the panel.. almost thinking new is just easier lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
Clusters by Litske around $700 to start with new custom MFD really cool features . Has a waiting list . Go into his Facebook page and check it out .Im trying to decide between updating mine or selling and buying a Tiguan .

·
Registered
21 Posts

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,746 Posts
Clusters by Litske around $700 to start with new custom MFD really cool features . Has a waiting list . Go into his Facebook page and check it out .Im trying to decide between updating mine or selling and buying a Tiguan .
He does the replacement half screens as well, IIRC. Or, you can get a used cluster that has the full height MFA and he can clone yours to it. I did the latter and still had to replace the screen, but full height screens are much cheaper and easier to find.

·
Registered
486 Posts
He does the replacement half screens as well, IIRC. Or, you can get a used cluster that has the full height MFA and he can clone yours to it. I did the latter and still had to replace the screen, but full height screens are much cheaper and easier to find.
Can you actually get a full-height MFA for the B5? Can you put up a pic of yours? If I read correctly, you did that?

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,746 Posts
Can you actually get a full-height MFA for the B5? Can you put up a pic of yours? If I read correctly, you did that?
W8 cluster is all I know of in NA. Much more common on higher trim levels in Europe though. Pic below. I also had Litke do the needle sweep for me and take the dead zone out of the temp gauge. It now reads true to temp instead of hanging out at 190°F all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27,577 Posts
Posted it for sale. :(

9721 - 9740 of 9792 Posts