Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

9641 - 9660 of 9795 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
When I accelerate, there’s a bunch of rattling under the car.. heat shield loose? Muffler loose? It’s like a squirrel trying to hold on to the drive shaft when I get going - oh sorry, ahem.. like a beaver holding on... (this is Canada after all)
I found some of the problem: the trailer hitch ball is really loose! It’s smackin around and it noisy - once tightened I’ll see what noises are left!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Curious if you checked the rear springs to see if one of them broke. I recently had one of mine brake and it was about 3” of spring from the bottom that broke. Bought new replacements and do them in pairs Good luck on this one
I already replaced the driver side front and rear - I’ll check the passenger side! Since it was inspected Im assuming that they are ok. But you never know...

Reactions: 2PassatsGuyCT

·
Registered
5,582 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Replaced heater hoses . I have been trying to figure out where it was leaking a small amount of coolant for some time . I knew it was leaking somewhere at the back of the head but could never isolate exactly where. After replacing the plastic housing with an aluminum one last year I thought I was done . Everything was good for a while but then started loosing coolant again . I was about to reseal the housing again when I noticed the plastic collar on the heater hose at the head was split . When I removed the other heater hose the connector at the head was also cracked . I am so glad to have finally fixed my coolant leak . If I had it to do all over again I would have replaced the heater hoses when I replaced the housing . 20201019_205241.jpg 20201019_205217.jpg

·
Registered
487 Posts
Replaced heater hoses . I have been trying to figure out where it was leaking a small amount of coolant for some time . I knew it was leaking somewhere at the back of the head but could never isolate exactly where. After replacing the plastic housing with an aluminum one last year I thought I was done . Everything was good for a while but then started loosing coolant again . I was about to reseal the housing again when I noticed the plastic collar on the heater hose at the head was split . When I removed the other heater hose the connector at the head was also cracked . I am so glad to have finally fixed my coolant leak . If I had it to do all over again I would have replaced the heater hoses when I replaced the housing . View attachment 101103 View attachment 101104
Mine broke n the same spot before replacing them

·
Registered
487 Posts
Oh, currently, my SOP is that if I’m in any particular area and there’s an old hose, it gets replaced. With all the various levels of kits you can buy for doing the timing belt, I’m surprised to not see a full kit with all the hoses for say, the oil cooler. Or why isn’t there one for ALL engine hoses, or all vacuum lines. You know that VW itself, here in Fredericton no longer has any idea what the part number is for the vacuum lines going from the manifold driver, or the vacuum pump up to the solenoid valves sitting above the throttle body?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I replaced the oil cooler hoses a couple of years ago . When changing the oil filter I noticed bulges and soft spots . When I purchased the car I replaced the timing belt kit and water pump . I also replaced the PCV system with the kit from 034 Motorsports with aluminum pcv valve and simplified silicone hose system. Several of the check valves were blown . Should have replaced the heater hoses at the same time when it finally started leaking bad enough to figure out they were leaking my wife was driving it . Fortunately she was smart enough to keep it from extremely overheating. It would have been ashamed to have blown a head gasket over a couple of heater hoses.
Really love the way the car drives . Its really amazing that a 17 year old car still runs and handles like it does . The paint is still in great shape and the leather interior still looks great . I would really love to have the cluster modded by Litke . It would give my old car a more modern feel .
Screenshot_20201021-094856.png

·
Registered
487 Posts
New mirror "floating" turn signals...
ok, how did you embed that video? I wanted to let the folks hear the extra 50 HP I got from my Blue Timing Belt

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
ok, how did you embed that video? I wanted to let the folks hear the extra 50 HP I got from my Blue Timing Belt
I think what you're really after is showing me how quiet the belt is after I said it would make squealing noises.

Reactions: Rob.Achmann and PZ

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Oh I forgot, make sure you trim off any of the extra little 'hairs' from the edges of the belt, that'll net you another 5-7 hp. :p

Reactions: Rob.Achmann

·
Registered
487 Posts
God damn...

power steering fluid... well, I shouldn’t be surprised as THOSE parts & hoses are original and so 16 years old... now to find what’s exactly wrong...

Nope.. coolant! WTH??

·
Registered
487 Posts
Your only option seems to be the electronic power steering conversion!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, it was coolant. It was from the very first set of hoses I replaced months ago. But I was never very happy with how they sealed. Time to do it right this time.

Reactions: axenstar

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
God damn...

View attachment 101145

power steering fluid... well, I shouldn’t be surprised as THOSE parts & hoses are original and so 16 years old... now to find what’s exactly wrong...

Nope.. coolant! WTH??
I was going to say, that looks a little to far back to be power steering fluid, assuming you didn't move the car and it has a slight colored hue to it.
Better check your coolant reservoir and heater hoses.
Man I hope for your sake it's not the hard pipe on the back of the engine. That would really suck.

Reactions: Rob.Achmann

·
Registered
487 Posts
I was groping around back there with a piece of paper towel and the only moisture I could find was from the heater core return hose at the hard pipe connection. I’ll check again once I have it ripped apart. I also hope it’s not the hard pipe, but I replace ALL those o-rings and every other hose and connection works perfectly. Surprisingly there were zero leaks around the water pump and thermostat! I’ve never done that sorta thing before and just wouldn’t be shocked at a leak there. But that’s all good so far... knock on wood..

9641 - 9660 of 9795 Posts