Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

9601 - 9620 of 9650 Posts

·
Registered
27,411 Posts
Sorry to be annoying again
I saw this coilover kit today at the used car parts store
They are Kw coilovers and the seller said they are in good shape
Do you think that they would be a better fit then the Bilstein b4 /eibach pro kit combo

(they are two times cheaper then the new b4/eibachs)

What do you guys think? Go for it or nah?
The rust is ugly, but you just need to clean and seal that. The mounts are a bonus, saving a lot of work on the install.

Reactions: Nisam_kreativan

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm only barely trying to get it over 400. The other option is to find some from a 4.2t Audi.
On the other hand, I had a question about some paint. I'm painting the V6 hood, it's an olive green car, but I'm doing it in black. My question is, should I paint the whole hood or follow the body lines in the hood leaving the outer parts green?

·
Registered
1998 Passat GLS Wagon AEB , 2003 Ford Ranger Edge
186 Posts
I chaged my back bumper with the one with parking sensors and added new exuast pipes

before:
View attachment 100820

View attachment 100821

Here is a after

View attachment 100822

View attachment 100823

Edit: I need to round the exuast cutouts a bit better
But it looks nice
Fixed the mail box using some 10mm Passat bolts.

Used thread locker and torqued to specs per the Bentley.

USPS approved!

Now I need to maintain the mailbox every 30 to 50 days for tightness and leaks. It’s officially a VW mailbox!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haha love this. This is why when I go to the wrecking yard I pick up fist fulls of bolts.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Havent posted in a while. Ive had non stop cars coming in to repair. By the way I will never work on a 3.0/3.5 2nd Gen Montero ever again. It makes me yearn for the engineering flops of VAG cars.

But yesterday was a me day so gave my baby a much need wash and half ass wax job and deleted rear muffler and welded in some new pipes. Today is oil change and new plugs.

Hope everyone has been doing great!!

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
I'm not a wagon guy but I must say it looks good.

Reactions: axenstar

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Havent posted in a while. Ive had non stop cars coming in to repair. By the way I will never work on a 3.0/3.5 2nd Gen Montero ever again. It makes me yearn for the engineering flops of VAG cars.

But yesterday was a me day so gave my baby a much need wash and half ass wax job and deleted rear muffler and welded in some new pipes. Today is oil change and new plugs.

Hope everyone has been doing great!!
That’s a sexy Wagon!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Had some time to throw some black on the hood. Just need to sand it now. And wash the poor thing. The green is dirty from the primer.

I'm also going to paint the front of the bumper inside of the headlight area to match the hood. I went with flat black.
Also, does anyone know what green this is? The tag in the trunk is gone.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Had some time to throw some black on the hood. Just need to sand it now. And wash the poor thing. The green is dirty from the primer.
View attachment 100984

I'm also going to paint the front of the bumper inside of the headlight area to match the hood. I went with flat black.
Also, does anyone know what green this is? The tag in the trunk is gone.
Ive always liked that green. Looking good. I cant stand doing body work. I was a painter for years but you couldnt pay me enough to prep haha!!

·
Registered
Passat 3BG 1.9 TDI 180hp 4motion
28 Posts
The coilovers i orderd came today
This is the first time Im seeing coilovers in real life (or any suspension element tbh..)

Anything I should do or check before installing them? I added some pictures so you guys could have a better look

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm not a wagon guy but I must say it looks good.
Yeah ive always been a wagon and hatchback man.

That’s a sexy Wagon!

Thanks guys means alot, you already know how much love and work ive put into it.

So im working on a MK4 Jetta wagon and the owner wants it balls deep low. He put the coilovers in himself, and over torqued one and didnt even bottom out the strut mount to the top of the shock piston. I dont know if you guys have worked on these but if you want to slam it you need an aftermarket sway bar that loops under the axle. He wont buy it and he is too much of a Sally to let me take the sway bar out completely. I atleast got him to buy the ECS adj. end links. So I just took my grinder to the bar for a bit more clearance and painted it but told him MK4 owners break axles on the regular. Also changed out the oil pan cause the previous owner used a heli coil for the drain plug haha. Told him I can just drill and tap it but he bought a new pan. Oh and I snapped 1 of the 38 pan bolts, easy to extract but just a pain didnt even get to 15ft lbs before it snapped. Smart design using aluminum bolts though so you break a bolt before stripping out the block.

What it normally looks like...(You can see the axles are already F'd up)

So I just ground it down to be even with the hoop and painted.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The coilovers i orderd came today
This is the first time Im seeing coilovers in real life (or any suspension element tbh..)

Anything I should do or check before installing them? I added some pictures so you guys could have a better look
View attachment 100986

View attachment 100987

View attachment 100988

Yes completely disassemble them, I mean even remove the locking perches springs etc. clean them with some brake clean and a brush. Then slather anti seize on all the threads, reassemble and put new upper strut mounts, then install 👍

Edit: Also be sure to get any new bolts that are one time use and locking nuts when installing!!

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Came to Florida. Tried to resuscitate the dead battery on my 98. It was bone dry.

Put some distilled water. No avail!

The trickle charger won’t be able to charge above 8V and shows bad battery.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
If it was REALLY bone dry just adding water won't do anything. Hydrochloric acid needs to be added to the mix for the chemical reaction to produce the electrical charge in the battery.
Messing around with Hydrochloric acid produces very volatile (explosive) gases when inside the battery. The danger / risk factor involved isn't worth it. I know from personal experience.
When I was younger, some donkey decided he was going to help me with charging a battery. Long story short, the battery exploded causing extensive damage to the car and sending me and the other person to the hospital with acid burns to our torsos, arms, face and eyes. It was not a fun experience by any means.
You could take it to an old school battery place and they could probably do something with it.
At that point in time with all the hassling around, just picking up a brand new one at the store makes way more sense.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
If it was REALLY bone dry just adding water won't do anything. Hydrochloric acid needs to be added to the mix for the chemical reaction to produce the electrical charge in the battery.
Messing around with Hydrochloric acid produces very volatile (explosive) gases when inside the battery. The danger / risk factor involved isn't worth it. I know from personal experience.
When I was younger, some donkey decided he was going to help me with charging a battery. Long story short, the battery exploded causing extensive damage to the car and sending me and the other person to the hospital with acid burns to our torsos, arms, face and eyes. It was not a fun experience by any means.
You could take it to an old school battery place and they could probably do something with it.
At that point in time with all the hassling around, just picking up a brand new one at the store makes way more sense.
I knew something was missing. And after what you said the battery is officially a recycled item.

And, SOME DONKEY!

Omg, laughed so hard on that...

9601 - 9620 of 9650 Posts