Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

9581 - 9600 of 9650 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thought you guys might like an update about my unlucky journey with the fuel filter. So, I bought a fuel can, and 4L of fancy premium diesel, cause' why not. My girlfriend came with me, and she filled up the can and accidentally poured a small amount of diesel on my hands, pants and shoes. So now I smell like somebody who took a bath in the a bathtub full of diesel. Anyway, I got home, filled up the fuel filter, AAAAAND tried to start, it cranked, but sill nothing. I checked the fuel filter, and yea, small amount of air because the car tried to bleed the air from the fuel system. I filled it up, and tried again, and here is the "joke", the battery died of course. I heard a few, and small "vrm vrm", so I guess it will work after I put back the fully charged battery. Sorry for the long story, and if you have any advice how to remove the smell of diesel, let me know please. :D

The lesson is: If you want to replace the fuel filter, no worry, it's not that hard BUT FILL UP THAT crappy thing.

tl;dr: I'am braindead and unlucky, and thought I am pro enough to do something simple.

UPDATE:
She is alive! I couldn't be happier!

She got new (MANN) fuel filter, premium diesel, and JLM injector cleaner.

·
Registered
27,411 Posts
That came with the Equus boost gauge. Been holding up ok for 2 years. Planning on replacing the oil pressure hose with a metal one tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You have oil in the hose to the gauge? They are very dangerous, nothing like 220 degree oil spraying on you if it breaks or you crash. I thought everyone had switched over to sensors and wires by now. I had one like that in my 1st car, but it was a 69 Chevelle.

·
Registered
27,411 Posts
I don't know what would work best against diesel smell, but I would try Gojo.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
You have oil in the hose to the gauge? They are very dangerous, nothing like 220 degree oil spraying on you if it breaks or you crash. I thought everyone had switched over to sensors and wires by now. I had one like that in my 1st car, but it was a 69 Chevelle.
I have been wanting to switch to copper. I know it’s not a good idea to let oil reach all the way to the cabin but I will install the copper after I m done with the solenoids.
It’s safer than hard plastic.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't know what would work best against diesel smell, but I would try Gojo.
Thanks for the advice, we have "Ultra Derm" here, I think it's the same. I used it like 3 times, but didn't help. But it's almost gone, thankfully.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,573 Posts
I have been wanting to switch to copper. I know it’s not a good idea to let oil reach all the way to the cabin but I will install the copper after I m done with the solenoids.
It’s safer than hard plastic.

Why not use a regular wired gauge?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Got the filter and gasket. About to commence solenoid replacement.

You have to be a Navy guy.
“Prepare for solenoid replacement!”
“Prepare for solenoid replacement. Aye, Sir!”
“Sir, ship is ready for solenoid replacement!”
“Very well. Commence solenoid replacement!”

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
You have to be a Navy guy.
“Prepare for solenoid replacement!”
“Prepare for solenoid replacement. Aye, Sir!”
“Sir, ship is ready for solenoid replacement!”
“Very well. Commence solenoid replacement!”
“Commencing countdown, engines on (five, four, three)”

·
Registered
443 Posts
Got the filter and gasket. About to commence solenoid replacement.

Solenoid for what?, asks the rookie from his igloo... his dogs bark, annoyed at his stupidity

Reactions: axenstar

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,573 Posts
Solenoid for what?, asks the rookie from his igloo... his dogs bark, annoyed at his stupidity

Reactions: Rob.Achmann

·
Registered
27,411 Posts
Not much fun, they are almost as hard to work on as the W8.

Reactions: axenstar

·
Registered
182 Posts
See, I'm not worried about how hard they are to work on, it's gotta be smiles per gallon with this one.

Going to end up parting the whole car out anyways. But if I can get the twins to fit in a W8, with k04's I'd smile lots.

·
Registered
27,411 Posts
Oh, you mean to put the K03s on the W8, not the whole motor? They will be too small as they are only good for a little over 300hp, they are much smaller than the k03 in a 1.8T. You would need C5 RS6 sized turbos, good for about 550hp.

Reactions: AndreasPassat

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Or an Eaton M112, not quite as bolt on though.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I need the turbos to help build the kit is all. I'm not using these specific ones on the W8. The k04 should be good enough for a mild setup shouldn't they? This motor, and by that I mean just the setup, is going in my wife's A4 in the end.

·
Registered
Passat 3BG 1.9 TDI 180hp 4motion
28 Posts
Sorry to be annoying again
I saw this coilover kit today at the used car parts store
They are Kw coilovers and the seller said they are in good shape
Do you think that they would be a better fit then the Bilstein b4 /eibach pro kit combo

(they are two times cheaper then the new b4/eibachs)

What do you guys think? Go for it or nah?

·
Registered
27,411 Posts
I need the turbos to help build the kit is all. I'm not using these specific ones on the W8. The k04 should be good enough for a mild setup shouldn't they? This motor, and by that I mean just the setup, is going in my wife's A4 in the end.
K04 would be good for a mild setup, about 400+ crank.

9581 - 9600 of 9650 Posts