Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

9521 - 9540 of 9586 Posts

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
I was noticing the crankcase on yours and mine. That looks likes it's pretty much the same design after all these years.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Today I replaced some of the old vac pipes, because they were in very bad shape, and I installed an oil catch can. I think I'll buy a new, red pipe for the catch can.
I'd like to change the power steering fluid and clean the whole engine bay, but for today it was enough progress. :D

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Today I replaced some of the old vac pipes, because they were is very bad shape, and I installed an oil catch can. I think I'll buy a new, red pipe for the catch can.
I'd like to change the power steering fluid and clean the whole engine bay, but for this day it was enough progress. :D

View attachment 100804
I have always found Diesel engines scary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27,380 Posts
I have always found Diesel engines scary.
They are great if they are well designed. It was the Olds/GM Diesel V8 fiasco in the 70s that scared everyone away.

Reactions: G3ph4z and axenstar

·
Registered
1998 Passat GLS Wagon AEB , 2003 Ford Ranger Edge
180 Posts
Here's mine.
I was getting it bolted down on the pallet for my move out of the house in WI and down here to Phoenix.
Air compressor is still back in WI in storage. :(
It'll be coming down here soon though.

View attachment 100799

I dug up my paperwork - brochure.
It's actually a 120 gallon tank. For some reason I thought it was 80 gallon.
You can see the 3 phase contactor relay in the electrical box.
It's kind of weird how it's wired for single phase. If you look closely, you can make out the jumper wire on the contactor relay. It's really running on 2 of the 3 'legs'. One leg is never used in a single phase configuration.

View attachment 100800
That is super clean what year is it and yeah i see you showing off the 3 phase haha. How much that going to cost to transport?

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
That is super clean what year is it and yeah i see you showing off the 3 phase haha. How much that going to cost to transport?
I bought the air compressor fall of 2003 right from the Ingersoll-Rand dealer.
I've got a 20' x 20' storage unit chuck full of everything I own that I had in my house.
It'll come down on a regular moving company semi.
Shipping costs for the whole shebang will be a couple grand.

Reactions: Rob.Achmann

·
Registered
Passat 3BG 1.9 TDI 180hp 4motion
24 Posts
I bought a roof spoiler for my Passat but it seems like its 4cm shorter Even tho on the pictures on the website it looks like its gonna be flush with the roof

Can anybody give ne info if the passat b5 and b5.5 are the same size?
Not sure if I messed up or the store.

·
Registered
1998 Passat GLS Wagon AEB , 2003 Ford Ranger Edge
180 Posts
They are great if they are well designed. It was the Olds/GM Diesel V8 fiasco in the 70s that scared everyone away.
Yeah the later 6.5 and 6.6 diesels were dogs. hate working on them. Unitl DMAX made the Duramax a chevy diesel youd avoid. 555 Cummins arent a blast to work on either. I tend to like to work on Cats, Detroits, Newer Cummins (not so much ISX), Ford/Internationals arent terrible not the PowerStroke those are fun to work on too.

·
Registered
27,380 Posts
That exhaust looks good, but I would return that roof spoiler. It does not fit well at all.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,502 Posts
Valve cover gasket was leaking down the front at the corner by the exhaust cam. Put it back together and forgot the cam baffles on the intake cam. D’oh! Seems to be holding fine after a quick r&r to correct. Everything runs great, no odd sounds, oil pretty fresh. Cam lobes are smooth as a babies butt.

177k miles

·
Registered
384 Posts
Valve cover gasket was leaking down the front at the corner by the exhaust cam. Put it back together and forgot the cam baffles on the intake cam. D’oh! Seems to be holding fine after a quick r&r to correct. Everything runs great, no odd sounds, oil pretty fresh. Cam loves are smooth as a babies butt.

177k miles

Amazingly clean! Looks good

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Valve cover gasket was leaking down the front at the corner by the exhaust cam. Put it back together and forgot the cam baffles on the intake cam. D’oh! Seems to be holding fine after a quick r&r to correct. Everything runs great, no odd sounds, oil pretty fresh. Cam loves are smooth as a babies butt.

177k miles

Now there's a person who takes care of his vehicle. That's pretty clean for that many miles.
I've seen cars with less than half that mileage looking 10 times worse on the inside.
It's also amazing how many billions (using that loosely) of revolutions those cams make and yet those lobes stay with the same profile with minimal wear.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,502 Posts
5k religiously. I’ve only used 4 different oils in its’ lifetime. Pentosynth 5w40, M1 0W40 , liquimoly 5W40, and now Castrol Edge 5w40.

That’s also the original CCT. Barely any wear on the pads.

I have had the oil light come on a couple times, but that was because the crappy M1 oil burnt off so quick and it was too low to register on the dipstick. Happened in a hard turn. I probably should check the oil level more.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
I've got it all backwards.

My wife's car, is lucky to see 20 miles a week. The only time it gets miles put on it is when we go over to Burbank.
That engine is just coming up on 5 years since the rebuild. Never any need for adding oil between changes. Yet I'm still popping the hood on regular occasion.

My daily driver on the other hand is a sad story of neglect. With an engine that's 20 years old, driven into the ground on a daily basis, gets looked at maybe every couple of months. :unsure:

Now that I'm sitting here typing this, the timing belt pops into mind.
It's been 7 years since the last service. I have no idea how many miles are on that thing. Would have to check the records for that. A horrible feeling of un-assuredness just came over me. 😬

Reactions: G3ph4z and PZ

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
5k religiously. I’ve only used 4 different oils in its’ lifetime. Pentosynth 5w40, M1 0W40 , liquimoly 5W40, and now Castrol Edge 5w40.

That’s also the original CCT. Barely any wear on the pads.

I have had the oil light come on a couple times, but that was because the crappy M1 oil burnt off so quick and it was too low to register on the dipstick. Happened in a hard turn. I probably should check the oil level more.

No more than 3000 miles here. Oil is cheap. It must be the advanced level of turbo paranoia!

I have realized my 1.8t is happier with 5W-40 than 0W-40.

And happier with LiquiMolly than Mobil 1.
I liked Pennzoil too.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,502 Posts
No more than 3000 miles here. Oil is cheap. It must be the advanced level of turbo paranoia!

I have realized my 1.8t is happier with 5W-40 than 0W-40.

And happier with LiquiMolly than Mobil 1.
I liked Pennzoil too.

Nah, 5k is just fine. 3k is for cheap Dino oil. You can go longer actually. Synth is plenty good enough to go 5k without issue. Not worried about the interval.

9521 - 9540 of 9586 Posts