Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

9501 - 9520 of 9586 Posts

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Took the exhaust out of my daily W8, and began to install a makeshift install of an exhaust, using mostly the original parts.
View attachment 100780
This is the picture we got to. The resonator and exhaust we're removed from another car, my exhaust just dropped right off and out of the way. I have the two glasspacks and the rest of the pipe we'll get it finished tomorrow. It sounds great though.
You made that mechanic’s pit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1998 Passat GLS Wagon AEB , 2003 Ford Ranger Edge
180 Posts
Yeah, but it's a chronic problem, not a new injury. It gets real bad sometimes and I can stand the pain, so I can't work. I've had it for several years on and off. It's one of the reasons I retired, the pain was too much at times and I am certain the work I did made it worse.
Yes, my wagon. I don't know if I had the swap done when you were here. It's been sitting for 5 months. I've only put 1K miles on it in the last 20 months and it sat for 3 months last year, so 1K in 12 months of driving. This should be the last repair needed mechanically, but then I have to start on the headliner and door cards. Still not sure what I will do with it as I expect we could easily make due with 1 car now. We only put 2K on the Tiguan in 12 months and that is with a couple of trips to Austin. I am sure that will change once a vaccine comes out.
See thats what im afraid of. Im 37 next month and Ive had a bad back since I was 16 (skateboarding, snowboarding........Greco Roman nude wrestling) You know stuff we all did as wee lads. Now it gets so bad that the pain will continue to to increase like there is no ceiling until I rest it. I want to say I can take the pain? For how long though, Ive even got a concierge Dr. as my GenPhysician so I could just ask him for painkillers w/o question but Im thinking of looking into some surgeries.

I even apparently found out I have a slight case of scoliosis so the exacerbates the pain. Have you looked into the non invasive surgeries?

Yeah.. it’s ok looking... lolol. I think it’s a great improvement!
You love it and you know it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
You made that mechanic’s pit?

Just looks like its on a 4 post lift. You want one? come to WA $200 you haul haha I need a 2 post!!!

I wish I could build a pit but then I would have to spend alot redesigning the oil/water separator.

·
Registered
180 Posts
So, I began stripping out the engine and everything to one car. Thought I'd do this just for some giggles.
View attachment 100752
Obviously doesn't fit. But I have some things in the works, like a shorter snout, and possibly a different unit, that will maybe work differently. This is the car I'm swapping over to a six speed, and this engine is okay, just needs the a/c compressor changed. Sad reason to just pull an entire engine out, but oh well.
I assuming thats an Eaton...is it an M90. You can definitely do a shorter snout. But it looks like clearance will suck. Have you maybe thought twin turbo :)

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Just looks like its on a 4 post lift. You want one? come to WA $200 you haul haha I need a 2 post!!!

I wish I could build a pit but then I would have to spend alot redesigning the oil/water separator.
That’s right. It’s on 4post lift.
I do want that. I need to calculate how much it wold cost to bring it to Georgia :))
Although I found this. I m not sure if $150 is ok.
Arms look flimsy too.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,502 Posts
I do want that. I need to calculate how much it wold cost to bring it to Georgia :))
Arms look flimsy too.

I always got a kick out of that town name :LOL:. Got a couple friends out that way.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,502 Posts
Intercourse, PA (in Leacock township), too. Right down the road from Blueball PA! Fertility, PA isn't far either. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
27,380 Posts
See thats what im afraid of. Im 37 next month and Ive had a bad back since I was 16 (skateboarding, snowboarding........Greco Roman nude wrestling) You know stuff we all did as wee lads. Now it gets so bad that the pain will continue to to increase like there is no ceiling until I rest it. I want to say I can take the pain? For how long though, Ive even got a concierge Dr. as my GenPhysician so I could just ask him for painkillers w/o question but Im thinking of looking into some surgeries.

I even apparently found out I have a slight case of scoliosis so the exacerbates the pain. Have you looked into the non invasive surgeries?
No, I have not looked into any surgeries. I know the steps, they start with rehab (exercise), losing weight (40lbs) and conditioning. I've been through them multiple times with both shoulders, leg and ankle. I have overpronation of my feet due to not having proper arches all my life. I put off any surgeries or rehab over the years just to continue working. I was taking 4 Advil alternating with 4 Excedrin every 4 hours just to get through the week. I ended up with esophigitis as they meds caused ulcers.

I just have not bothered to get started on anything and I know I need to. I've had sciatic pain since I was a teen and I was misdiagnosed with degenerative arthritis in my hips and knees at 17. I found out years later it was actually bursitis and caused by my foot problems. Eventually I will finally get motivated enough to start getting back in shape and that should help my back and feet. I was just so worn out from working so much (6 days a week for 30 years) that I just wanted to veg out on the couch (or computer) when I retired. That's pretty much what I have done, which does not help.

·
Registered
384 Posts
No, I have not looked into any surgeries. I know the steps, they start with rehab (exercise), losing weight (40lbs) and conditioning. I've been through them multiple times with both shoulders, leg and ankle. I have overpronation of my feet due to not having proper arches all my life. I put off any surgeries or rehab over the years just to continue working. I was taking 4 Advil alternating with 4 Excedrin every 4 hours just to get through the week. I ended up with esophigitis as they meds caused ulcers.

I just have not bothered to get started on anything and I know I need to. I've had sciatic pain since I was a teen and I was misdiagnosed with degenerative arthritis in my hips and knees at 17. I found out years later it was actually bursitis and caused by my foot problems. Eventually I will finally get motivated enough to start getting back in shape and that should help my back and feet. I was just so worn out from working so much (6 days a week for 30 years) that I just wanted to veg out on the couch (or computer) when I retired. That's pretty much what I have done, which does not help.
Before surgery, try chiropractic help. I had a kink in my neck for twenty years and my chiro Dr took 2 weeks after starting with her and finally fixed it. It was like I finally stopped carrying around a couple of concrete blocks tied to my neck. BUT don’t go to a chiropractor that does that ‘neural network’ type of adjustment- that is such absolute BS!! Just classic ‘back cracker’ work. You have to find the right Dr for it too. Man, I was sad when my Dr Eiht retired - she was amazing.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Arms look flimsy too.

Woof id be scared with a $150 lift. But he could be like me. I only have 3 bays and I need the lift out so I can bring in a 80 gallon Ingersoll Rand Compressor from the 70's and I can't get a forklift to the corner.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Reactions: DERK.B5.Passat

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Oh ive got plenty. The shop I bought used to be a repair shop. Only thing I need to do is replace motor which I have cause Its 3 phase.
So you have a 3 phase motor that needs to be replaced with a single phase?
Cause if you have 3 phase power, I'm seriously envious. Nothing like 3 phase power.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
I've got a Ingersoll-Rand compressor too.
80 gallon - 175psi in the tank - 35cfm. 90psi regulated coming out of the tank. It has a 10hp 3phase motor on it, all configurable by changing the taps and jumpers on the starter relay.
Currently wired for single phase. Pulls 46 amps continuous at 240 volt.

·
Registered
180 Posts
So you have a 3 phase motor that needs to be replaced with a single phase?
Cause if you have 3 phase power, I'm seriously envious. Nothing like 3 phase power.
I've got a Ingersoll-Rand compressor too.
80 gallon - 175psi in the tank - 35cfm. 90psi regulated coming out of the tank. It has a 10hp 3phase motor on it, all configurable by changing the taps and jumpers on the starter relay.
Currently wired for single phase. Pulls 46 amps continuous at 240 volt.
Unfortunately they converted to single phase like 5 years before I bought it, so I had to pick up a single phase 5hp motor from tractor supply. Just need to play around with some pulleys and belts. The walls are all plumbed with copper pipe inside for air already. Each bay has a quick connect sticking out the wall already.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Here's mine.
I was getting it bolted down on the pallet for my move out of the house in WI and down here to Phoenix.
Air compressor is still back in WI in storage. :(
It'll be coming down here soon though.

I dug up my paperwork - brochure.
It's actually a 120 gallon tank. For some reason I thought it was 80 gallon.
You can see the 3 phase contactor relay in the electrical box.
It's kind of weird how it's wired for single phase. If you look closely, you can make out the jumper wire on the contactor relay. It's really running on 2 of the 3 'legs'. One leg is never used in a single phase configuration.

Reactions: Rob.Achmann
9501 - 9520 of 9586 Posts