Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

9481 - 9500 of 9586 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Passat GLS Wagon AEB , 2003 Ford Ranger Edge
180 Posts
After more than an hour of highway driving, and a half hour more of city driving, not a single drop of oil or coolant was lost. I think it’s working...

I went for re-safety Today just to find that I also have to replace the rear spring...it’s broken too and as far as I understand, it’s much easier than the front.

The muffler fix had to be redone as it didn’t pass. The muffler shop did it properly the second time for free. Sounds amazing now
Did you get my injector clips yet? I know mail from the states to Canada has been slow recently.

I also have an an extra rear spring.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Did you get my injector clips yet? I know mail from the states to Canada has been slow recently.

No sign of the clips yet :) You have an extra single-orange-stripe 4B0511115DF rear spring?? Yeah, but it would probably be $120 USD to ship to igloo land with duty, etc...

·
Registered
180 Posts
No sign of the clips yet :) You have an extra single-orange-stripe 4B0511115DF rear spring?? Yeah, but it would probably be $120 USD to ship to igloo land with duty, etc...
Haha so true itd be so much money. I cant remember what the part# is. Could send you both haha

·
Registered
384 Posts
After a year of work, sure mostly part time, $3800 in parts, LOTS of learning from everyone here, THANKS!! The car is finally past inspection and ready for the road

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Now all you have to do is talk to the car everyday with a soothing positive attitude so it doesn't throw a CEL. :LOL:

Seriously, awesome job.

·
Registered
155 Posts
So, I began stripping out the engine and everything to one car. Thought I'd do this just for some giggles.

Obviously doesn't fit. But I have some things in the works, like a shorter snout, and possibly a different unit, that will maybe work differently. This is the car I'm swapping over to a six speed, and this engine is okay, just needs the a/c compressor changed. Sad reason to just pull an entire engine out, but oh well.

·
Registered
384 Posts

I finally received the clips! They were in yesterday’s mail. Thanks so much!

Reactions: cchief22

·
Registered
384 Posts
Haha! They just switched over to two year inspections in the last couple of months and the great government minds behind it probably didn’t think about reviewing what’s actually written on the window stickers. Yes, it should be bi-annual. Good catch!

·
Registered
27,380 Posts
I finally started working on my own wagon last Sunday and I was lucky enough to have "twowagens" over to help. I bought a near-new AEB alternator for my AUG. I did find the connector different, which was not hard to switch, but I did not notice the lower insert in the back was not threaded until after it was in the car. We had to pull it out and swap that over from the original. I did not raise the car on stands as I normally do and that was a big mistake. We dropped 2 sockets down to the belly pan and I managed to pinch a nerve in my back.

We were at it again this Sunday. This time I put the car on stands and we finished the alternator install. Ran the car and all was good, alternator is strong. Then I decided to swap the upper control arm mounting plate on the passenger side as one of the bolt holes was stripped. I changed the upper control arms on the driver's side and pulled the passenger side apart. I have to pull the other plate out of the donor car. By that time my back was hurting again. Car is still apart waiting on my back to heal again.

Reactions: Rob.Achmann

·
Registered
180 Posts
I finally started working on my own wagon last Sunday and I was lucky enough to have "twowagens" over to help. I bought a near-new AEB alternator for my AUG. I did find the connector different, which was not hard to switch, but I did not notice the lower insert in the back was not threaded until after it was in the car. We had to pull it out and swap that over from the original. I did not raise the car on stands as I normally do and that was a big mistake. We dropped 2 sockets down to the belly pan and I managed to pinch a nerve in my back.

We were at it again this Sunday. This time I put the car on stands and we finished the alternator install. Ran the car and all was good, alternator is strong. Then I decided to swap the upper control arm mounting plate on the passenger side as one of the bolt holes was stripped. I changed the upper control arms on the driver's side and pulled the passenger side apart. I have to pull the other plate out of the donor car. By that time my back was hurting again. Car is still apart waiting on my back to heal again.
Geez sounds like a good time. Stands suck, I need my lift up and running im tired of rolling under my car and im only 36. Ive noticed things are just the slightest bit off (between B5 and B5.5) or all together different. that double din head unit i just did was like a third of a dash swap. I hope everything goes better when you get back at it.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts

Holy cow Paul, you hurt your back again?
You gotta take it easy.
By any chance is the wagon you gave me a ride in? Not really relevant to anything, just curious as to which car it is you're working on.

Reactions: PZ and Rob.Achmann

·
Registered
643 Posts

Get well soon brother

·
Registered
Passat 3BG 1.9 TDI 180hp 4motion
24 Posts
Well Last year I saw a Passat B5 with audi Allroad fender flares and I thought it looked kind of cool and unique
Here is what Im talking about :

I got myself some Allroad flares and well it dosent really fit like i hoped it would.
(In my head i thiught i could just glue it on or something )

My first reaction was
Oh well I got them off a Audi a6 c5 allroad
I should have zaken them off a A4 thats why they so much bigger
But ..there isn no Audi a4 Allroad in this year Right? RIGHT?

Hmm I guess i actually have to cut the fenders and the car body to fit it
(Seems like a expensive mistake if i mess up..and I will.)

Do you guys have any ideas how i should do this? Any advice would be apriciated

Looking at this image seems like i got the right part

Here is one more image so you guyscan see what I have in mind haha

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
Well Last year I saw a Passat B5 with audi Allroad fender flares and I thought it looked kind of cool and unique
Here is what Im talking about :

View attachment 100772

I got myself some Allroad flares and well it dosent really fit like i hoped it would.
(In my head i thiught i could just glue it on or something )

View attachment 100773

View attachment 100775

My first reaction was
Oh well I got them off a Audi a6 c5 allroad
I should have zaken them off a A4 thats why they so much bigger
But ..there isn no Audi a4 Allroad in this year Right? RIGHT?

Hmm I guess i actually have to cut the fenders and the car body to fit it
(Seems like a expensive mistake if i mess up..and I will.)

Do you guys have any ideas how i should do this? Any advice would be apriciated

View attachment 100777
Looking at this image seems like i got the right part

View attachment 100778 Here is one more image so you guyscan see what I have in mind haha
I'm pretty positive you need to cut your fenders if i remember correctly then mold in the new ones. Thats why that blue Passat variant is like 1 of very few youll find. looks great though.

·
Registered
27,380 Posts
Holy cow Paul, you hurt your back again?
You gotta take it easy.
By any chance is the wagon you gave me a ride in? Not really relevant to anything, just curious as to which car it is you're working on.
Yeah, but it's a chronic problem, not a new injury. It gets real bad sometimes and I can stand the pain, so I can't work. I've had it for several years on and off. It's one of the reasons I retired, the pain was too much at times and I am certain the work I did made it worse.
Yes, my wagon. I don't know if I had the swap done when you were here. It's been sitting for 5 months. I've only put 1K miles on it in the last 20 months and it sat for 3 months last year, so 1K in 12 months of driving. This should be the last repair needed mechanically, but then I have to start on the headliner and door cards. Still not sure what I will do with it as I expect we could easily make due with 1 car now. We only put 2K on the Tiguan in 12 months and that is with a couple of trips to Austin. I am sure that will change once a vaccine comes out.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Its been in the high 90's and the wildfires smoke has kept me out of my shop. but atleast did some small things.

Before

After

Yeah.. it’s ok looking... lolol. I think it’s a great improvement!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Took the exhaust out of my daily W8, and began to install a makeshift install of an exhaust, using mostly the original parts.

This is the picture we got to. The resonator and exhaust we're removed from another car, my exhaust just dropped right off and out of the way. I have the two glasspacks and the rest of the pipe we'll get it finished tomorrow. It sounds great though.

9481 - 9500 of 9586 Posts