Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

9281 - 9300 of 9340 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Finally had a chance to get the laser machine to myself for a few minutes. Cut out a piece of cardboard for a trial part.
Did an overlay, looks pretty darn close to the original. Not bad for freehand CAD drawing.
I'll be test fitting tonight after work.

View attachment 100226
Looks Good!! You may have just made a product a few in the forums would love to purchase. Especially if you can do a few different materials.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
And here it is. I'd say it's a winner.
The face of the console isn't flat, so it appears as though there's a mismatch. If I could have 'stuck' it to the console it would have been perfect.
Now all I have to do is machine up a few pieces. ;)

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Government Jobs are the BEST!!!
You know it!
It's funny, I program $500,000 machines all day everyday making crazy expensive parts, with one chance to get it right to boot, but for some reason the simple little things for myself are the most fulfilling. :unsure:

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
You know it!
It's funny, I program $500,000 machines all day everyday making crazy expensive parts, with one chance to get it right to boot, but for some reason the simple little things for myself are the most fulfilling. :unsure:
it is the "pirate" in you ! Time to hoist the Jolly Roger !

·
Registered
27,226 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
The reason being?

I think W8 is a more intimidating endeavor than 2.7t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If things go to plan and thats a big "if things go to plan..But clear out my second bay at the shop (just cleaned half of it today) then I will bring in a '83 VW Caddy, swap my AEB from my B5 into it. Then find a wrecked Alltrac or A6 cheap for the 2.7TT love and bonus wide fenders from the alltrac!!. Then maybe next winter a 5.0 V8 from an Explorer into my '03 Ranger 👍

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Speaking of cleaning out for the second bay this has been what ive been working on getting this side of the shop set up better..Plans to redo the floors with epoxy after I get rid of the 4 post and bring in a 2 post bendpak.

I'm getting close to having my 'shop'.
Purchased a 30' x 40' building with 16' walls 2 weeks ago. Should take delivery in about 8 weeks.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
My 1998 GLS failed the test here in Phoenix. First time ever failing with that car.:confused:
They told me the car wasn't ready. Whatever that means. :unsure:
Haven't be been able to get back there to test again. When you're working 6 days a week, it's hard to get stuff done.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm getting close to having my 'shop'.
Purchased a 30' x 40' building with 16' walls 2 weeks ago. Should take delivery in about 8 weeks.
Thats gonna be so nice. Mine is 30×60. It has 3 bays and an office. Another huge perk is the oil/water separation tank. Life has been so much easier now since the carport days or before during the Seattle side street days before that to wrench.

Can't wait to see your shop! Which company did you go through?

·
Registered
114 Posts
My 1998 GLS failed the test here in Phoenix. First time ever failing with that car.:confused:
They told me the car wasn't ready. Whatever that means. :unsure:
Haven't be been able to get back there to test again. When you're working 6 days a week, it's hard to get stuff done.
They wouldn't give you the reason for failing the test? Thats whack. So you're just supposed to guess or do they do something like only give the info to licensed workshops to do the repairs?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Readiness wasn't set for some OBD parameter? That's a weird one. I wonder if it was operator error (meaning the test tech).

·
Registered
27,226 Posts
The reason being?
I think W8 is a more intimidating endeavor than 2.7t.
The 2.7T is a mess with the oil and coolant lines to the turbos. The turbos sit behind the head, on top of the trans. There are vacuum, electrical and PCV lines back there too. This is the engine without the PCV and the 2nd is with the manual trans (tip is much larger). The PCV had to be left off until after the install.

9281 - 9300 of 9340 Posts