Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

9261 - 9280 of 9340 Posts

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Finally got the last leaky pipe and had to remove the MS-201 oil filter (mobile1 code). So I figured I’d upgrade the filter to MS-301 for larger capacity

View attachment 100181

View attachment 100182

The old one was just spaying coolant everywhere down there!
"Sgt. Preston is relentless with his pursuit of justice" Tip of the hat from South of the border for your hard work on your car, amazing all the work that has been done.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
That old coolant hose/elbow looks pretty much standard.
I don't remember which one of my V6's I was working on but I had one where the hose was swelled up to almost 2x it's original size.
It's a wonder it was able to hold the pressure when at operating temperature.
They're not bashful about charging for them little guys either.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Oil, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter, pollen filter, two front calipers changed and rotated the tires.

The brake system was bled but I couldn't get the stupid plastic clutch bleeder loose as the corners rounded. I also tried to rebuild the shifter linkage but didn't have time to fiddle around trying to figure out how to disconnect the ball joint. After looking over the undercarriage and whatnot from the bottom, I think it is finally time to have the turbo rebuilt to stop the oil leak.

·
Registered
279 Posts
That old coolant hose/elbow looks pretty much standard.
I don't remember which one of my V6's I was working on but I had one where the hose was swelled up to almost 2x it's original size.
It's a wonder it was able to hold the pressure when at operating temperature.
They're not bashful about charging for them little guys either.
That little darling was $11 (8 USD), but you know, I just had the dealer order it and had them deal with shipping details. For items like this, I don’t care if aftermarket is half the cost; this is OEM for a part If rather have last longer. Not everyone thinks this way - I’m just weird!

·
Registered
279 Posts
"Sgt. Preston is relentless with his pursuit of justice" Tip of the hat from South of the border for your hard work on your car, amazing all the work that has been done.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Replaced the coolant flange on the manual with an AL aftermarket one. I think the problem was just a bad o-ring but since I already had the new flange in it went, with all new o-rings (2 from the FLAPS). While I was at it , I cleaned out one of the PCV hard pipes. I took a page from cchief's playbook and used oven cleaner. I do have some lye in the garage but that stuff scare me. I use it to dissolve aluminum parts when they stick to steel parts due to galvanic corrosion. It simply dissolves the aluminum in a matter of days. Yikes. Oven cleaner does a good job too and seems a little safer although it still needs to be treated carefully.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Finally got the last leaky pipe and had to remove the MS-201 oil filter (mobile1 code). So I figured I’d upgrade the filter to MS-301 for larger capacity

View attachment 100181

View attachment 100182

The old one was just spaying coolant everywhere down there!
Oh come on...a wee bit of duct tape wrapped around that hose and you could've gotten 10k more miles out of it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Oh come on...a wee bit of duct tape wrapped around that hose and you could've gotten 10k more miles out of it.
Don’t joke! When travelling with the wife & kids, the flexible weave portion of the muffler gave out and we had a hoot of a time making a ton of noise with the car. But we still had a way to go to get home and needed a break from the noise. I stopped at a service station but their repair guys were off for the evening. I found 4 pop cans and with a pair of metal shears, cut all of them into sheets of aluminum. I wrapped two layers around each flexible part of the mufflers (one broken, and one still good) and lashed them down with the screw type retaining straps, making them tight. We had a quiet ride home. When I had a chance to bring them to a proper muffler shop, the mechanic said the job I did was pretty cool; the inner layer got hot enough to melt a bit and make a perfect weld all around the broken part edges, and the outer layer had enough separation to be cool enough to continue to be a solid outer layer. I made a double layer self healing emergency muffler repair that would have been fine to last for the next 5K miles. Fun times

·
Registered
114 Posts
Installed bigger horns. One needs them in Atlanta traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In general I dont think our horns have enough oomph. Working as diesel mechanic I have access to plenty of air horns (and plenty of Holset HX35's ;)) so I plan on mocking something up here soon. Alot of cars can hear my horn but its not enough for when a semi is swerving into my lane.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
In general I dont think our horns have enough oomph. Working as diesel mechanic I have access to plenty of air horns (and plenty of Holset HX35's ;)) so I plan on mocking something up here soon. Alot of cars can hear my horn but its not enough for when a semi is swerving into my lane.
Looking forward to that. Truly the b5 horns are weak.

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
What horn(s) did you use, ax? My low freq. horn is weak sauce, but I don't want air horns. Maybe Audi horns...hmmm,

What I did recently? Got reminded of how poorly those damned air box clips were designed while changing air filter and vacuuming the trash (sand, leaves, etc.) out of my air box.
Guess I'll have an air box on the list for my next salvage yard visit...maybe I'll find one hit in front I can pull clips from, as dealer doesn't sell these individually.

·
Registered
VW PASSAT
5 Posts
Took my car to the local hand car wash & asked for no wax but they sprayed it on anyway. The trouble is the wax they use messes with my glass and takes ages to get it clreared of the wax as the glass seems dirty and I get terrible glare. Will be using a degreasers and then some Stoners Clear Glass cleaner on it tomorro.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
What horn(s) did you use, ax? My low freq. horn is weak sauce, but I don't want air horns. Maybe Audi horns...hmmm,

What I did recently? Got reminded of how poorly those damned air box clips were designed while changing air filter and vacuuming the trash (sand, leaves, etc.) out of my air box.
Guess I'll have an air box on the list for my next salvage yard visit...maybe I'll find one hit in front I can pull clips from, as dealer doesn't sell these individually.
They are aftermarket horns (as far as I see) that I found in junk yard. They are Made in France.
I got the wires from an Audi.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts

Your back? It's been a while.

·
Registered
279 Posts

I got Hella brand horns for the GLX. They’re downtown Euro-city loud. If you’ve ever been in a city in any European city and have an ambulance coming up behind you, you will hear these horns over the ambulance.

sorry - wrong link: use these...

Reactions: axenstar

·
Registered
279 Posts
Took my car to the local hand car wash & asked for no wax but they sprayed it on anyway. The trouble is the wax they use messes with my glass and takes ages to get it clreared of the wax as the glass seems dirty and I get terrible glare. Will be using a degreasers and then some Stoners Clear Glass cleaner on it tomorro.
Vinegar and water mix, clean off with Black & White newspaper print (No colours at all). Only way to clean auto glass

·
Registered
279 Posts
I think... I’m thinking it’s time to replace the sway bar links???

Reactions: Hirnbeiss

·
Registered
VW PASSAT
5 Posts
Thanks for that, it is just a pain as I’ve got to spend a lot of time redoing the windows inside out, now the is the problem I hate the smell of vinegar as it makes me gag. After a year of wax build up I had to result to desperate measure.wire wool deep glass cleaner with a battery drill and pad. I bought Stoners Glass Cleaner and was really impressed with its performance. Thinking of having the service what Halfords called Duxback offer, it’s the same as RainX but it’s used on airliners windows and they will do a three tier system.... Front windscreen then ...... Front window..... whole car.

Thank you and stay safe

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
9261 - 9280 of 9340 Posts