Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

9241 - 9260 of 9585 Posts

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Finally resolved the transmission low voltage issue.
Got wires from the junkyard and voila. No more code.
That had persisted since I bought the car in 2017.
But there still is this little jolt between 3rd and 4th gears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh man does that bring back some not so fond memories.
That 2001 GLS I had bought for my wife (her 1st Passat) had water ingres big time. There was inches of water on the passengers side. Could've stocked the floor pan with those Betta fish.
Took days with a huge fan blowing day and night to dry out. Then I chopped out a whole section of the TCM harness, soldered all the connections together, real pro like.
After I had got it all put back together, (finished shortly after midnight) I took the car out for a test drive. Car broke down a few miles away from home. Here's the kicker. It was cold as hell out that night, started to snow just a bit too.
Seeing as I was all comfy in my heated garage, I was in a short sleeve shirt.
I just jumped in the car and away I went. I had to do the walk of shame back home freezing my ass off.

All to find out the following day the harness had gangrene in it further up the line. :mad:
It was then that I accepted defeat.

That was car that I pulled the engine out and swapped into my 1998 GLS by the way.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Pulled the Passat out onto the street to get the Dakota in the garage but when I went to put it back in the driveway, it wouldn't start. I have 3 vehicles and when I don't have 2 out of 3 running, I get nervous. With a 1999, a 2001 and a 2002 it's like whack-a-mole fixing things.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Pulled the Passat out onto the street to get the Dakota in the garage but when I went to put it back in the driveway, it wouldn't start. I have 3 vehicles and when I don't have 2 out of 3 running, I get nervous. With a 1999, a 2001 and a 2002 it's like whack-a-mole fixing things.
Not liking the "did not start" scenario but the whack-a-mole is spot on, I call it Passat Roulette

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,498 Posts
carwash syndrome? how long did you let it run before shutting down? push the accelerator to the floor and keep cranking. It should clear the cylinders enough to fire up.

·
Registered
1998 Passat GLS Wagon AEB , 2003 Ford Ranger Edge
180 Posts
Ive got a 2001 Dakota myself. Its a great car part/toy hauler.

·
Registered
316 Posts
It is letting you know in "PASSAT TALK" , DO NOT ever park me on the street again, EVER !
She's probably still pissed at me for leaving her on the street when the line-painting truck went by and got her all covered in tiny white paint spray.

·
Registered
180 Posts

·
Registered
2003 | B5.5 | 1.8T | TREND | AWT | AUTOMATIC TipTronic |
14 Posts
Darn that was on the inside. If you still have them you should heat up the glue remove the lenses and try to wet sand and polish them. New ones look great👍
Thanks. Yup, might do that and perhaps be able to sell them or keep them as spares, who knows. 🤔

·
Registered
180 Posts
This is more of a what did you do to your passat this WEEK....

I Finished up most of the interior.

Always need a good pair of boots and service manuals for Alison transmissions.

Swapped out the old battery terminals for some gold plated ones.

I still need to modify the rain tray so I can put in the positive terminal and get to it without having to remove the tray everytime.

Also really loving the DV relocation, I dont have to get under the car to change out the springs now.

Then I debadged the PASSAT emblem and cut and polished the paint.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
I cleaned out my battery cowl area. Got half of a Home Depot bucket full twigs, leaves, pine needles and some other unidentifiable items out of there.
Took the battery out so I could air blast under the batter tray and drains with an air gun. Now I've got some kind of seed or tree nut rolling around in my blower motor. :(
Oh, and now got a CEL. That really made my Saturday after an emergency full shift at work. 😖

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I got the refund from FCP for my used tranny fluid!

Cost me $16 to ship to CT from Atlanta.

Basically I bought the original tranny fluid two years ago. I ordered another jug last month.

Drained the old fluid, pumped the new one in the tranny, poured the old fluid in the new jug, put it in the box it came in. Shipped.

I am liking this deal :)

P.S: they overnighted the pan gasket with no charge. The original one was rubber which leaked. Great customer service!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
384 Posts
Finally got the last leaky pipe and had to remove the MS-201 oil filter (mobile1 code). So I figured I’d upgrade the filter to MS-301 for larger capacity

The old one was just spaying coolant everywhere down there!

Reactions: DERK.B5.Passat
9241 - 9260 of 9585 Posts