Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

9141 - 9160 of 9174 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Have you ever pulled passenger seat and looked under carpet for water ingress (that has occurred at some point before you got the car,I know it has been in garage for awhile out of the weather). Look for potentially corroded splices (you will have to undo cloth "friction tape") and possible marginal corroded male and or female bayonet to the TCM connections in the harnesses plug in "bonnet". I do see you made it back home so I assume your brakes are working well and did not drive thru the back of the garage. lol .
Yeah, I already dried out the car completely in the fall. I basically removed most of the interior to allow the area under the carpet to dry up. I cleaned out the drains first under the battery. Now, I think any possible rusty connections are doing their thing. And yes! The brakes are great.

I had 3 items left: replacing the ignition coil from random misfires (picking that up on the 30th) replacing oil cooler gasket, and this TCM short thingme. Then it’s graduation day! (Plates/Safety/Insurance)

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Yeah, I already dried out the car completely in the fall. I basically removed most of the interior to allow the area under the carpet to dry up. I cleaned out the drains first under the battery. Now, I think any possible rusty connections are doing their thing. And yes! The brakes are great.

I had 3 items left: replacing the ignition coil from random misfires (picking that up on the 30th) replacing oil cooler gasket, and this TCM short thingme. Then it’s graduation day! (Plates/Safety/Insurance)
Check the sunroof and pollen filter housing too. If you need tcm let me know.

·
Registered
80 Posts
So after all the aggravation I went through replacing my K03 with a brand new MAHLE k03, the wastegate actuator was bad, pulled turbo out again and replaced the actuator with my old one put the turbo back in and after a week the compressor wheel started making contact with the housing. Fast forward 2 weeks and I'm almost done with the new setup.

I decided to do the right thing and drop money on a new Borg Warner K03. Since I had done a bunch of work previously and didn't want to pull everything apart again anytime soon I decided to do a front mount intercooler. Another problem I ran into when I setup my last turbo and new silicone intake was the power harness for the headlight was pushing in on the silicone intake. So I removed the plug receptacle and currently extending the wires to relocate the plug.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,165 Posts
love those wire strippers in the foreground !
They are really nice for wire taps (the ole' poke and wrap method). You can adjust the amount of grip they have when spreading the insulation to avoid breaking the wire.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Check the sunroof and pollen filter housing too. If you need tcm let me know.
Ok, where is pollen filter housing? Sunroof - the car actually hasn’t been outside much since March, getting things fixed as I can afford them... do a trial run, and burn down the list/add things to the list for stuff I need to do.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,165 Posts
Ok, where is pollen filter housing? Sunroof - the car actually hasn’t been outside much since March, getting things fixed as I can afford them... do a trial run, and burn down the list/add things to the list for stuff I need to do.
pollen filter housing is under the plenum/battery cover on the passenger side at the base of the windshield.

Reactions: DERK.B5.Passat

·
Registered
199 Posts
So after all the aggravation I went through replacing my K03 with a brand new MAHLE k03, the wastegate actuator was bad, pulled turbo out again and replaced the actuator with my old one put the turbo back in and after a week the compressor wheel started making contact with the housing. Fast forward 2 weeks and I'm almost done with the new setup.

I decided to do the right thing and drop money on a new Borg Warner K03. Since I had done a bunch of work previously and didn't want to pull everything apart again anytime soon I decided to do a front mount intercooler. Another problem I ran into when I setup my last turbo and new silicone intake was the power harness for the headlight was pushing in on the silicone intake. So I removed the plug receptacle and currently extending the wires to relocate the plug.
I don’t know, man, I see dirt around the valve cover nut. I’d be cleaning that sorry engine before trying to add a nice clean turbo in there... you wouldn’t even see it in all that mess. Sad. Some people’s kids...

·
Registered
199 Posts
They are really nice for wire taps (the ole' poke and wrap method). You can adjust the amount of grip they have when spreading the insulation to avoid breaking the wire.
I have to figure out the tension on mine... they just done break the cover and seem to slip (not same brand)

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Have two pairs and of course can only find one of them.......BUT did NOT even/ever think to use them for "wire taps" always trimmed/stripped them back with an exacto knife ......what a time saver THANKS !!!!!

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,165 Posts
Have two pairs and of course can only find one of them.......BUT did NOT even/ever think to use them for "wire taps" always trimmed/stripped them back with an exacto knife ......what a time saver THANKS !!!!!
It's really easy on large gauge wire, but the smaller .5mm wire, it has a tendency to snap the wire before the insulation stretches/pulls apart or buckles enough for a wide enough gap. Takes a while to get the tension just right. I always plan for the worst before trying. DO not attempt on CAN wires, because if it snaps, you could introduce extra resistance/electrical interference applying your fix by either the splice or a length being un-twisted.

·
Registered
80 Posts
love those wire strippers in the foreground !
I have to figure out the tension on mine... they just done break the cover and seem to slip (not same brand)
It's really easy on large gauge wire, but the smaller .5mm wire, it has a tendency to snap the wire before the insulation stretches/pulls apart or buckles enough for a wide enough gap. Takes a while to get the tension just right. I always plan for the worst before trying. DO not attempt on CAN wires, because if it snaps, you could introduce extra resistance/electrical interference applying your fix by either the splice or a length being un-twisted.
These automatic wire strippers are a godsend. Especially in one handed situations like under the dash. I used wire taps once and it didnt work out well so i will cut open to slip the insulation, wrap a wire, solder then slip heat shrink.

VAGuy is right definitely something not to mess with can bus wires with. Made that mistake on my old jetta. What began as a switch install turned into me replacing the dizzy, ignition switch, FP relay and a few others. This was years and less brain cells ago.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I don’t know, man, I see dirt around the valve cover nut. I’d be cleaning that sorry engine before trying to add a nice clean turbo in there... you wouldn’t even see it in all that mess. Sad. Some people’s kids...
You have no idea how much that dirt has been keeping me up at night. I will make it up to you, I just ordered a new valve cover gasket, chain tension gasket and half moon. It will give me the chance to clean that nut. Funny thing I daily this car at least a 100 miles a day, I'm missing my skid plate though. Ive been putting off replacement cause im looking for a decent metal skid plate that isnt rediculously overpriced. Might just need to take a stop sign from a busy intersection and use that to build my own 👌👍😉

·
Registered
80 Posts
pollen filter housing is under the plenum/battery cover on the passenger side at the base of the windshield.
Yeah since mine is a 98 (B5) it only had the small cover for the cabin filter and the rest of the cowl and battery are uncovered. So I grabbed a full rain tray/cowl cover from a junk yard b5.5, made a few cuts with my rotary tool and now fits into my B5.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I also had a issue with the new intercooler piping running into the power steering reservoir black plastic cover/surround. I grabbed one from a B5.5 that works perfectly and looks much cleaner. gotta love OEM+

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Received the tranny juice from FCP.

Waiting for the upgraded valve body pressure regulator to arrive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,165 Posts
Received the tranny juice from FCP.

Waiting for the upgraded valve body pressure regulator to arrive.

Funny, I received some tranny juice form them today as well. For my 8-spd Q5, though.

Reactions: axenstar

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Funny, I received some tranny juice form them today as well. For my 8-spd Q5, though.

Wow!
Good stuff.

Would you consider Pentosin the same as ZF Lifeguard?
Or the Q5 strictly requires ZF fluid?

ZF is considerably more expensive than Pentosin.

9141 - 9160 of 9174 Posts