Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

9101 - 9120 of 9174 Posts

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
To me, that looked rusty as I can see rust on the bottom of the trans mounts and on the heat shield nuts. We don't get even that much down here and it's not quite as hot as AZ. We did have rain last night for the 1st time in 24 days.
It lived most of its life in upstate NY, the snow capital, until 2015, by which time the driver moved to Atlanta. I have had my share of battling the rust in that car.
Replaced most body parts with those of Florida and Georgia Pasats. It's much better. ut still shows some rust here and there.
I will replace both fenders. They are being eaten away by rust close to the rocker panel.

·
Registered
27,066 Posts
That makes sense. Mine was always a local car. My son's wagon was from California, but he lived in Pittsburgh and Cincinnati the last 6 years so it has some minor rust underneath. The brakes were the biggest problem, the rotors rust out every few years.

Reactions: axenstar

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
The brakes were so rusty it began to leak brake fluid. I was confused when all of a sudden the brake buzzard came on. The rear right was leakin. I replaced all four.
I even had to replace the abs lines.
The wheel lug was rust welded and couldn’t remove the wheel. Took it to mechanic. Took 1 hour for them to remove it.
the original timing belt wason at 110,000 and full of cracks.
but the engine is solid with all cylinders 180psi. The reason I decided to buy it; for $250 :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Moving from Southern California to Utah was an experience. I didn't have to deal with snow. That alone is rough, but then people don't take care of their cars here, and everything rusts. Granted, not as bad as up in Wi, but it makes fasteners deplorable to remove. I'm spending today trying to find out why my wife's car still only starts on boom juice. Isn't the fpr part of the fuel pump?

·
Registered
27,066 Posts
FPR is on the intake manifold, it's a metal cylinder. On the V6, it's back right and on the 1.8T, it's obove the 4th intake runner.
V6:

1.8T:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks. It's the fuel pump again. It only team for a day, then gave up the ghost. Ordered a replacement under warranty, so here's hoping. Applied direct power and ground, wouldn't even try.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I posted some Passat parts on the PassatWorld Store section. Please take a look. :)
I can get rust free parts. Let me know if y'all need anything.
Ali

·
Registered
199 Posts
After replacing valve cover gasket with extreme patience and research (listening to many here) I saw more oil mess/leak to the tune of a half litre of oil after a short road test. So, put on my “I coulda avoided this by going to a shop” hat and started my investigation. One thing I’ve learned over the years is don’t assume anything and quickly told myself to shut it and changed the hat to “research and learn”. I actually watched the Humble Mechanic on YouTube to know how to investigate an oil leak as it was moderately informative. Remember, I do not know what I’m doing, so anything helps! HM could change his format slightly but he has lots to share. So I started to pull stuff apart and get busy. I started from the top and worked my way down. After putting my valve cover gasket job under a microscope I only saw the dry and clean corners I finished the job with, and that wacky trapezoidal gasket wedge was also surprisingly dry... what a dumb design. Anyway, a pat on the back and moved on down. The head gaskets also seemed as dry and clean as when I last finished cleaning there, and no pools under the inter-cooler. The rear main seal was also dry and no stains. But I start to see stains around the driver’s side and coming towards that front side, some drips. Then I see spray everywhere as I come forward... For 10 points, what am I looking at, if the coolant is completely bright pink? The oil pipes look drenched but in need of replacing, but behind the oil cooler, it’s a mess of new oil. I just changed the oil. So my very next project will be replacing the O-Ring ($3) on the oil cooler, the oil cooler itself ($160), the ‘fitting’ connector ($18) and those two lower hoses ($18 & $93 plus 4x smaller o-rings @ $2 each and that x plate for $4)...

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,165 Posts
Why replace the cooler? I wouldn't if there is nothing wrong with it. If it leaks externally, it is almost always the o-ring seal for it. Intercooler? On a V6?

Reactions: Hirnbeiss

·
Registered
199 Posts
Why replace the cooler? I wouldn't if there is nothing wrong with it. If it leaks externally, it is almost always the o-ring seal for it. Intercooler? On a V6?
Oh, that’s not an inter cooler then I suppose? Just a fancy integrated intake manifold?

Oil cooler. I’ve heard of so many issues of oil cooler failures and how long it takes to flush out the oil from the coolant once it does fail. I simply do not have the time for that. I’ll be replacing other stuff down there so it’s worth the peace of mind that I won’t be spending 4x as much time getting back in there to replace it AND so much flushing. I’ve heard some guys say 3 days worth. I don’t have endless amounts of time to spend and the point of this is to have a car to drive, not a car that sits in the garage :) I really didn’t mean to make this reply sound angry; much respect! I just want my son to drive the car and have some confidence it will be reliable. So, the oil cooler has to go.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,165 Posts
Fair enough. We all have our reasons. I'm prepping mine for the father-son changeover, but leaving that alone. It isn't too common, but your reason for replacing is sound. Not that you needed my validation ;) . Now I'm curious as to what appeared to be an IC. I can't think of what else would be around the V6 that looked like one besides the radiator and condenser.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Fair enough. We all have our reasons. I'm prepping mine for the father-son changeover, but leaving that alone. It isn't too common, but your reason for replacing is sound. Not that you needed my validation ;) . Now I'm curious as to what appeared to be an IC. I can't think of what else would be around the V6 that looked like one besides the radiator and condenser.
No, the fancy silver painted crossover integrated pipes sitting on top of the V6 that poke through the plastic cover. I think the throttle is integrated into them as well? Under that set of painted exposed pipes, there’s a place where oil could easily pool if the head gasket was compromised.

·
Registered
199 Posts
That’s the intake manifold. There are some coolant pipes that could leak there, but seldom oil.
If your AC is at all iffy, the compressor is right there at the oil cooler.
Yes, I might try to clean that up from the mess too.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I don't know much about the Great White North (except that I love it up there....) but here in 'the states' an intercooler is used to cool the intake air going into the engine. It's placed between the turbo and the engine air intake and is used to cool the intake air after it is compressed by the turbo since engines generate more power from colder air. Hence the confusion since a V6 has no turbo.

The other part is a oil/coolant heat exchanger. I've heard that its main purpose is to transfer heat to the oil from the coolant after a cold start to warm the oil up faster. In any case, it is a huge hassle if the oil and coolant mix so I don't blame you for replacing it now just in case.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I don't know much about the Great White North (except that I love it up there....) but here in 'the states' an intercooler is used to cool the intake air going into the engine. It's placed between the turbo and the engine air intake and is used to cool the intake air after it is compressed by the turbo since engines generate more power from colder air. Hence the confusion since a V6 has no turbo.

The other part is a oil/coolant heat exchanger. I've heard that its main purpose is to transfer heat to the oil from the coolant after a cold start to warm the oil up faster. In any case, it is a huge hassle if the oil and coolant mix so I don't blame you for replacing it now just in case.
Colder air helps any type of engine, naturally asp or turbo. I just didn't know what to call that piece of metal ontop of the V6

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,165 Posts
Colder air helps any type of engine, naturally asp or turbo. I just didn't know what to call that piece of metal on top of the V6
That is true, but the air will not get hotter from the air filter to the intake manifold on a V6 and thus would not get any cooler with an intercooler (unless it was a water spray setup) or at least not enough to make a difference. When the turbo compresses the air, it gets hotter, so there is a need for an intercooler to bring it back down to ambient before being ingested by the motor.

9101 - 9120 of 9174 Posts