Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

8981 - 9000 of 9033 Posts

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,016 Posts
Thinking of at least cleaning mine up today. Maybe subframe mounts.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
sized her up for a new set of shoes, low profiles on 20”s but i’m almost not feeling the 20”s anymore, plus I would have to fit her with adapters! the struggle is real 🤣

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well, had to tow the wife's Passat back home the other day. Got to it today, checked with some boom juice, and no fuel. So now I'm looking at either checking to see if it's another issue why it's not turning on, or the pump itself gave up the ghost. Replaced the fuel door with a color matching one, and then she filled the tank, so of course the pump had to go out.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Not so much today but in the last week ive been taking advantage of the quarantine and installing a bunch of stuff Ive been piling up...

Most of it was replacing or rebuilding much of the front end.

Rebuilt the axles which was a pain but cheaper...

Then replaced the lower control arms with TRW units, and adjustable upper control arms from KSP. My rack had been leaking so after going through 2 liters of CHF11s ($$$$) I finally replaced the power steering rack with a rebuild from The Rack Doctor. Which by the way I ordered a ZF rack but the sent me a KOYO that they painted silver. I tried contacting them over 3 times and no response. Luckily the rack looks fine and Im only using it till I rebuild the OEM rack I took out. Threw some Meyle HD TRE's on there. Raceland has a lifetime warranty so they sent me out some new shock bodies in 2 days (good service). I changed out the upper mounts while i was in there. Wheel bearings were getting up there in age so I pressed in some new FAG units.

I was gonna rebuild my k03 but when I took it apart there were alot of cracks on the exhaust housing so I went with a new MAHLE K03. Does anybody know how well these have performed, I mean I should be finding out soon myself haha.

Next few days will be finishing up a bunch of little things like rebuilding my calipers, new rotors and also building a bracket for my new intake setup.

·
Registered
67 Posts
sized her up for a new set of shoes, low profiles on 20”s but i’m almost not feeling the 20”s anymore, plus I would have to fit her with adapters! the struggle is real 🤣
I always felt like 18's (Maybe 19's depending on the style) look the best on the B5.5. A little drop and it hugs that size so well. I feel with the 20's you have to go so low profile. I personally am not a fan of the rubberband tires. It will be cool to see how yours turn out.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Well, I did something very simple...

Old:

Used this:

(follow instructions carefully)

Got:

Very impressed with results for the first time ever doing this kinda thing... taking sandpaper to headlights... yikes!

·
Registered
3 Posts
i’m weighing in on 19”s. i most definitely want that hugged look, without actually having to stance her out just yet 🤣. I was all about the 20”s with low
profiles but to achieve the ultimate look I would have to immediately do aftermarket front and rear bumpers, it’s a whole look a whole level. Looking for shoe inspo though 19”s, 18”s and depending on the shoe i might even consider 17”s
🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️
I always felt like 18's (Maybe 19's depending on the style) look the best on the B5.5. A little drop and it hugs that size so well. I feel with the 20's you have to go so low profile. I personally am not a fan of the rubberband tires. It will be cool to see how yours turn out.

·
Registered
4,837 Posts

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
Not today, but on Saturday. While over in Burbank, CA for the Memorial weekend, I went to Firestone service and had the wife's tires balanced.
Have been trying to get rid of a persistent wheel vibration since the beginning of the year. After 4 attempts (in the last 6 months) of standard balancing, I ponied up $20 per tire to have them road force balanced. Oh man, the car is like brand new. From zero to 120mph no vibrations what-so-ever. Turns out, one of the tires was getting to much weight put on it. The amount of weight on any one wheel is now 1.5 oz. or less. This also assured me that the 17 year old rims are well within spec for runout (virtually non-existent). (y)

Also, finally fixed the bad oil pressure sensor. No more beeping and telling me to STOP every time I pull away from an intersection! :p

·
Registered
67 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
i’m weighing in on 19”s. i most definitely want that hugged look, without actually having to stance her out just yet 🤣. I was all about the 20”s with low
profiles but to achieve the ultimate look I would have to immediately do aftermarket front and rear bumpers, it’s a whole look a whole level. Looking for shoe inspo though 19”s, 18”s and depending on the shoe i might even consider 17”s
🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️
I run 17x8 et 30 all around wrapped in 225/45's. I like really low but not tucking. This setup worked really well for what I wanted. For the B5.5's I think 18's can achieve that nicely.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Today I replaced most of the vacuum lines/tubes in and around the vacuum plate. I didn't tackle the driver unit yet - saving that for another day. Instead of using more plastic tube, I had some brake line laying around and I cut & bent it to fit. That stuff won't crack if it gets in the way of repair/maintenance work in the future.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I run 17x8 et 30 all around wrapped in 225/45's. I like really low but not tucking. This setup worked really well for what I wanted. For the B5.5's I think 18's can achieve that nicely.

Did you buy the smoked marker lights that fit in the bumper cover? That is one SWEET looking ride!!

8981 - 9000 of 9033 Posts