Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

8961 - 8980 of 9033 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hit the junkyard today to get a cd changer : $25,not bad. Also, while I was thinking about it, I pulled off a rear passenger wheelwell to get a good look at that plastic tube that, when it cracks, causes EVAP leak codes.
Here are the photos I took; which one(s) are most prone to break? By the way, disassembling these components was a PITA!

None of these were cracked.

·
Registered
752 Posts
It was baptized by my 17 year old daughter, who thought it needed a “posh and proper” name like an English Edward.
That's funny. :)

Mine was named "The Brick" by my kid. Isaac will be six in July.
Backstory: about 4 years ago, we're out for a walk. Get back to the house, Isaac stops. Points at my car.
Conversation goes as so:
Isaac: (points at Passat parked in the street.) Da car!
Me: Yes, Isaac, it's a car.
Isaac: Da daddy car!
Me: Yes, Isaac, it is daddy's car.
Isaac: (big grin on his face) Da bwick!

It's been 'the Brick' ever since.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
This weekend hopefully I'll have time to remove the pinch bolts and apply anti-seize in case I have to remove them in the near future.
Applied copper anti-seize to both the pinch bolts and the tie rod end bolts. I did both sides by jacking up each side until the tire was off the ground but didn't remove the wheel. Easy peasy

·
Registered
261 Posts
CD changer worked flawlessly. Now to find some spare magazines and a way to manually eject them.

No one can tell me where the weak lines are in the EVAP system that are prone to breaking in the wheelwell?
I can't see how any in my photos would break - they are quite tough. That plastic elbow might crack, but I'd like someone who knows to weigh in, if possible.

Thanks.

·
Registered
26,992 Posts
No one can tell me where the weak lines are in the EVAP system that are prone to breaking in the wheelwell?
I can't see how any in my photos would break - they are quite tough. That plastic elbow might crack, but I'd like someone who knows to weigh in, if possible.
Thanks.
Here are the two that I remember with the bad EVAP.

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
I don't really know of any cracking or breaking issues to the EVAP equipment in the rear wheel well.
I did have an issue with one of my cars a few years back. There is a paper filter element that allows the system to breathe. Mine was completely caked with road dirt and mud which essentially made an airtight cocoon around it. I changed out the filter element. Those elements are not cheap! I think I paid upwards near $50 which is absolute insanity. However, the old element lasted 20+ years so when I look at it that way it allows me to sleep a bit better.

Other issues are those people that deem it necessary to fill the gas tank right up to the gas cap. Doing so allows gas to enter the EVAP system which will cause all sorts of issues.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Replaced the driver door on my son's wagon. He helped a bit by holding the door while I removed the bolts holding to the frame and doing the same while I re-installed the new door.
There was only some minor rash from a side swipe but I had the new (used) door sitting in my garage for so long that I really just wanted to get rid of it. My HOA had a cleanup weekend complete with a metal recycling bin so that was the nudge I needed to get it done.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
CD changer worked flawlessly. Now to find some spare magazines and a way to manually eject them.
I probably have one. And let me know what you find about the EVAP. I've had a very small intermittant leak for ever on one of my wagons. I was thinking of putting soapy water on the connections and then running the test manually with VCDS to see if I can find the leak but I don't know if that would help or not.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I don't really know of any cracking or breaking issues to the EVAP equipment in the rear wheel well.
I did have an issue with one of my cars a few years back. There is a paper filter element that allows the system to breathe. Mine was completely caked with road dirt and mud which essentially made an airtight cocoon around it. I changed out the filter element. Those elements are not cheap! I think I paid upwards near $50 which is absolute insanity. However, the old element lasted 20+ years so when I look at it that way it allows me to sleep a bit better.

Other issues are those people that deem it necessary to fill the gas tank right up to the gas cap. Doing so allows gas to enter the EVAP system which will cause all sorts of issues.
Would that filter be on the LDP behind the driver's rear wheelwell? And did changing it get rid of your EVAP leak CEL?

I did pull a spare charcoal canister a while back. If I get ambitious enough I will drive her up on the platform and take a look back there for either a saturated canister or charcoal plugging up the lines.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I probably have one. And let me know what you find about the EVAP. I've had a very small intermittant leak for ever on one of my wagons. I was thinking of putting soapy water on the connections and then running the test manually with VCDS to see if I can find the leak but I don't know if that would help or not.
I am seriously thinking of having my shop do a smoke test to pinpoint the problem(s).

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
Would that filter be on the LDP behind the driver's rear wheelwell? And did changing it get rid of your EVAP leak CEL?
Yes it was.
I can't remember the exact code but it wasn't a CEL for leakage.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
That's funny. :)

Mine was named "The Brick" by my kid. Isaac will be six in July.
Backstory: about 4 years ago, we're out for a walk. Get back to the house, Isaac stops. Points at my car.
Conversation goes as so:
Isaac: (points at Passat parked in the street.) Da car!
Me: Yes, Isaac, it's a car.
Isaac: Da daddy car!
Me: Yes, Isaac, it is daddy's car.
Isaac: (big grin on his face) Da bwick!

It's been 'the Brick' ever since.
That reminds me of Max, now 21, when he was 2 and I had a ‘95 Benz E320 (W124). Walking through a Kroger parking lot he says, “‘nudda ‘cedes car”, me: “Yeah, Max, it is. You like Mercedes?”, him:”Ya!”, me:”Why?”, Max, thinking a bit:” ‘cuz dem have lots of but-tons!”

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought a chrome Light switch
The seller said it was for a Audi a4 I figured it will work

When I pluged the switch in All the lights turn On and they cant be turned off

Any ideas if that mean the switch is defective or could it be that the Audi wireing is differend?

I also bought some vyn wrap to wrap the wooden trim inside but..itd dint end up that well
Its a lot harder then it looks

Anyways hope someone has a idea for the light switch or should i trow it away

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,563 Posts
Anyways hope someone has a idea for the light switch or should i trow it away
First install the old switch and observe the matching color of wires to the pic. Then install the new switch and see if they exactly match in terms of their location. Also check the number of pins on both switches.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Instead of trying to find junkyard pieces in good shape, I am thinking about painting some of the interior trim pieces that are looking rather worn. Has anyone had any luck with Krylon Fusion?

8961 - 8980 of 9033 Posts