Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

8901 - 8920 of 9007 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Last week installed new fan bearing, outside in the cold.. Several trips to the hardware store to pick up various bolts, nuts, washers, spacers, etc to press the old bearing out and the new one in without brinelling the bearings. No noise or play now.

Yesterday, changed oil and noticed the coolant hoses to oil cooler were very soft, bulged. I suspect oil had softened up the rubber.. Glad I noticed it! Local parts warehouse had the hoses in stock so changed those out.

Noticing a faint clicking noise on the R side around the turbo, can't figure out exactly where it's coming from..

·
Registered
252 Posts
One would think that with all this down-time, we would be doing a lot of maintenance on our Passats. I wish : instead, I have been re-wiring my house and laying down some plywood in the attic. Think I will replace some deck boards next. Or maybe replace some carpeting. Or maybe paint the kitchen. Or maybe re-do the cabinets. Or maybe install a new countertop. Or ...........

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,545 Posts
One would think that with all this down-time, we would be doing a lot of maintenance on our Passats. I wish : instead, I have been re-wiring my house and laying down some plywood in the attic. Think I will replace some deck boards next. Or maybe replace some carpeting. Or maybe paint the kitchen. Or maybe re-do the cabinets. Or maybe install a new countertop. Or ...........
I am so pissed off. I spend the entire last Summer finishing my basement. I wish I could have done it now.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Drove the darn thing to work. Oil leak is very slow, and I want to get the seafoam moving around in there before I get to the real work this weekend. Drove great; now have CEL P0112 to deal with as well, but pretty sure that sensor is just dirty.

·
Registered
26,965 Posts
I have not touched mine since the battery and alternator went out a few weeks ago. The good news is that Passat #3 is arriving tonight (along with my youngest son). Out of work for 4 weeks already and that will last another 2 months at least. 6 people living in a 5bd/2ba apartment is not where he wants to spend every day. The good news is that he is considering taking the 05 Golf back as it only has 64K vs the 270-280k on his wagon.

·
2,545 Posts
I have not touched mine since the battery and alternator went out a few weeks ago.
I came to Toronto a few weeks ago to see the kids as a short Weekend visit. Then they shut down the border and could not return to U.S. Currently I'm a prisoner in Canada until the borders open up. By then when I return I think the battery of Passat will be dead (which is already 8 years old). I wouldn't mind to get another battery but I hope other things won't go south by not starting the car for God knows how long from now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Didn't know none-essential item stores are open due to COVID-19 government closure mandate.
Yeah.. "non-essential" seems to have a wide range of meanings. Auto parts and hardware stores are apparently essential. I sure would have been up a creak without them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I came to Toronto a few weeks ago to see the kids as a short Weekend visit. Then they shut down the border and could not return to U.S. Currently I'm a prisoner in Canada until the borders open up. By then when I return I think the battery of Passat will be dead (which is already 8 years old). I wouldn't mind to get another battery but I hope other things won't go south by not starting the car for God knows how long from now.
Ouch! Sorry you're stuck.. Last battery I got was from rockauto, cheaper than any of the stores around, AGM battery so not hazmat and free shipping. So far so good after 2 years.

·
2,545 Posts
Ouch! Sorry you're stuck.. Last battery I got was from rockauto, cheaper than any of the stores around, AGM battery so not hazmat and free shipping. So far so good after 2 years.
AGMs are too expensive. I will look for a temp solution that can take me 2 more years before I retire her. The car is getting old although in a good shape. So any cheap battery that would last 2 years will do the job. Wal Mart and Costco have low priced batteries.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Took me five hours, but got the valve cover gasket, cam seal, and cap done on the driver's side. Could not get at the CCT gasket; timing belt cover would not come off, and the little piece that the cam chain sits on decided to break off a bit. Got it back in there, and released the tool, and it's sitting tight now. Cam seal & cap were the easiest part of the whole thing. Cap was super loose when I took it out, bet that's where the smoke was coming from. Cleaned the heck out of the valve cover, got all of the gunk out of it (surprisingly there wasn't much, just some carbon and some globs), used the sealant where I was supposed to, and got the cover torqued back on. Now we wait until tomorrow morning when I start him up and see where I screwed up, if I did. Cam chain didn't move a tooth so there's that. Oh, also the stupid plastic clamp thing on the PCV broke. It's in there and not going anywhere, but I'll have to do something about it I'm sure.

Was planning to do both sides today, but I'm slap out of brake cleaner (not to mention patience) and too proud to go ask the neighbor for some; also I'm dead tired. 52-year-old woman can only do so much in one day.

·
2,545 Posts
I'm dead tired. 52-year-old woman can only do so much in one day.
Yeah but you have saved enough money by DIY this that you can easily buy two tickets to Hawaii for a two weeks vacation and let your tiredness sink away.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Reset the wipers on the Passat my son drives (I'm still not quite ready to call it his car...). It was the first time in a long time that the job went as easy as expected. It probably took about 15 minutes total to pull the wipers, pull the plastic trim pieces, loosen the bolt, reset the linkage, tighten the bolt, test the motion, re-install the trim and wipers and put the tools away. It certainly helped that someone (probably me but I don't remember it) put anti-seize on the wiper arm posts. They just popped right off with a bit of a wiggle. Even the plastic rain tray just lifted right off easily. In fact, it was a bit loose IMHO but at this point, I'm not complaining.

·
Registered
2003 1.8T Passat sedan
1 Posts
Today I replaced the OE (RIP) snub mount on my 5 speed '03 B5.5 1.8T sedan. Result of baddd chatter getting into 1st gear cold, and noticed my shifter heaving forward a bit in response to acceleration. Most seen in 2nd gear. I still need to inspect my tranny mounts.

Got to pull the radiator support panel for the first time, and one of the whopper T45 bolts for the passenger side shock absorber stripped its head. Turned an easy job into a teeth gritter.
Extracted the bolt, disconnected/slid everything forward on the schwaben tools.
cut off the old mount, removed the housing from the oil pan to clean it. new mount in with silicone grease.
Reassembled with all 3 new housing bolts into the oil pan. Bolts snug not tight, you want a little slip for the housing to align.
Revved engine to around 3k (high range of normal driving conditions) several times.
Car off, back under to mark the housing's position on the oil pan for the future.
Torqued bolts with blue loctite to ~20Nm. Everything marked bright pink so I can peek right underneath in a week or two.
Drove the car and even the interior trim is quieter. feels like the car is on rails when shifting spiritedly.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sadly this morning I have to change yet another ignition coil. It started to have an intermittent miss. Would misfire, then go away, then come back. So now I'm on number three coil. Only five more to go I guess. And then I'm going to the dentist... I'd rather change the coil... :mad:

·
Moderator/Administrator
23,982 Posts
Damn, that is one Cleeeeean front end!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
2,545 Posts
Sadly this morning I have to change yet another ignition coil. It started to have an intermittent miss. Would misfire, then go away, then come back. So now I'm on number three coil. Only five more to go I guess. And then I'm going to the dentist... I'd rather change the coil... :mad:
Usually the best thing is to change all coils together. Mixing new with old ones may not be the best practice.

8901 - 8920 of 9007 Posts