Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

8881 - 8900 of 8900 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
I'm still a little pissed at myself I didn't grab a W8 Sedan a couple of weeks ago for 2600.
Maybe it's for the best. Fate keeping you from a possible disaster? :)

Me:
Well, the front diff leak has gotten a bit worse over the last few months. And, I'm currently laid off (as is a good chunk of the state.) Ordered parts to do said right diff seal. Should have those by the beginning of next week. At least I'll have something to do in all my downtime......

·
Registered
26,821 Posts
Check for movement on that flange too. A new seal will work, but may not last as long. I've even had one car that I had to swap the flange out with a spare as it leaked even with a new seal. I used my old trans as the donor.

·
Registered
26,821 Posts
Did not work on it, but now I expect I will be keeping it and selling the Golf instead. Possible major lifestyle changes coming in the next year or so as the oldest is considering having a baby. This would result in us commuting 200 miles each way per week to look after it.

My wife does not want to drive her Golf there (she hates driving on the highway anyway), but she would take the Tiguan. This leaves me with the Passat as I will not drive the Golf if I can avoid it.

We don't want to move there as we have so much time/money invested in the house and it's paid off in 2 years. That said, she does not want me to spend more money on the Passat. I am unlikely to install the 2.0 block and GTX2863 as it will result in spending more for a 3" exhaust, upgraded fuel pump and injectors. I don't really need 400 hp and I would probably want better brakes and an even better suspension with that much power.

I might just chip it and fix the interior, but I will keep the FrankenTurbo just in case I want more power. I've lived with 150hp a long time. I expect 215 hp will be a huge improvement. I do have a K03 sport in it from a B6 Audi, so it's a bit better than a stock K03.

·
Moderator/Administrator
23,739 Posts
Nice! I had them on my wagon. The pagids were a little dusty, but stop well.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Nice! I had them on my wagon. The pagids were a little dusty, but stop well.
"Dusty" might be an understatement. I'd liken them to 'classic '90s-'00s German pad compound.' Quiet, great feel, works regardless of temperature - and, dirty.

I love those pads (same set on my wagon, too) - but, teamed up with matte-silver wheels.... It's frustrating how quickly they get the wheels dirty.

·
Registered
26,821 Posts
I am happy with my EBC Reds up front, no noise and no dust. The PBR deluxe on the back are also not dusty, but I get an odd squeal from them under light braking at certain times. My older son has not complained about them and has them on all 4 wheels as I knew he would never clean his wheels.

·
Moderator/Administrator
23,739 Posts
You had an original one in there? IIRC, they were originally black and then changed to green with future revisions.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Husband and I got bonuses at work (for showing up, I believe, during the current crisis) so I ordered the VCG kit from ECS - $72 delivered early next week, it was on sale. Will have to get the CCT gasket tool from somewhere because I forgot to order it, and don't want to pay shipping on it.

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,407 Posts
Will have to get the CCT gasket tool from somewhere because I forgot to order it, and don't want to pay shipping on it.
May be you can borrow the tool for free from Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts stores near you.

·
Registered
742 Posts
If you're only doing the CCT gaskets (and not the CCT itself)…. If you're careful, you actually can replace the gaskets without pulling the tensioner(s). BTDT on both a 1.8T (AWM), and a 30V V6. ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you're only doing the CCT gaskets (and not the CCT itself)…. If you're careful, you actually can replace the gaskets without pulling the tensioner(s). BTDT on both a 1.8T (AWM), and a 30V V6. ;)
Yeah, but what happens if I get in there and I can't get the gasket out without compressing the CCT? That's what scares me, have everything apart and I can't get the gasket out. Is there a trick? Enlighten me?

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
You can compress the CCT, to aid you and keep the cam chain from slipping on the cam teeth, use paper towel or a rag and shove it in between the cam chain and the side of the head. This will keep the cam chain pressed against the cam sprocket.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You can compress the CCT, to aid you and keep the cam chain from slipping on the cam teeth, use paper towel or a rag and shove it in between the cam chain and the side of the head. This will keep the cam chain pressed against the cam sprocket.
Thanks, that did worry me a bit. Will mark it with whiteout just in case. FYI, gotta love ECS Tuning, I ordered the parts on Friday and they'll be here tomorrow without having to spend a lot on shipping. Still can't do the work until next weekend but at least I'll have the parts here.

8881 - 8900 of 8900 Posts