Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

8861 - 8880 of 8900 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Every time I see a picture of a car in this situation I get so incredibly intimidated by its sheer task of getting it back together in a way that it runs normal again. I would never for the life of me be able to do it.
Yeah it is daunting. Being 25 degrees last night and no heat in the garage, I started and then was like nope, right now I need to wait until I'm not hating every second of this or else I am going to get pissed off and do something stupid. So I called it a night after some cleaning and some other little things.

I am sadly going to have wait over a week before I have a day off and it is over 30 degrees.

not having a garage sucks, but I have a friend who is letting me use her half of the garage for a while. The problem is it is 40 minutes from my house...and not heated!!!

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,407 Posts
I have a friend who is letting me use her half of the garage for a while. The problem is it is 40 minutes from my house...and not heated!!!
I don't even have that luxury. My own house garage is 250 miles away and in my rented condo they don't allow working on cars. So whenever I ignore their rule and work on my Passat it is open air and is subfreezing. So I would say an unheated half garage is way better that subfreezing open air.

·
Registered
408 Posts
So I would say an unheated half garage is way better that subfreezing open air.
Fact. But you probably know what you are doing.

But still not the thing you want to deal with starting at 8 pm at night after work all day. I spent most of last Feb and March working in 25 degree air inside the garage, with my electric heater going. was so sick of my hands going numb, things slipping, seeing my breath that I really didn't want to go through it again. also, the joys of lying on that 20 degree concrete slab were something I could do without again.

·
Registered
26,821 Posts
oh they were leaking slowly....but not sure when, the driver's cap either popped off or something, because there is a ton of oil back there now.

This pic is from one of the sides, and both looked this way. Right now the driver's side is way worse.

View attachment 98755

Yes, the cam caps are also being replaced. I had lost the original pair that came with the Blauparts kit, so I ordered two more from RA, lost those, immediately found the first set. they are now taped to the car.
I look at it as a rust prevention leak, but it does not seem to be working right on yours :p

·
Registered
26,821 Posts
I did not touch my Passat, but I did buy a nice used air compressor for only $90. It's a Sanborn Black Max 3hp. 22 gallon unit that was sitting in a garage for over 20 years and only used to air up tires. It looks like this one, but no rust and is covered in dust/dirt with spider eggs underneath. Now I need to buy air tools :)
It came with 2 hoses, air nozzles and extra gauges/parts.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I look at it as a rust prevention leak, but it does not seem to be working right on yours :p
there was a lot of prevention going on in other places.

Dude nice snag on the compressor.

also not my Passat but my B6 A4...no more lights!

now I just need to fix the brake pads that had the sensor wires ripped from the harness side when the previous owner had the CV axles replaced. I will need to go grab two sets of brake pad wires from the scrap yard so I can do the shortcircuit bypass until I change my pads (pads are relatively new).

Unless someone here has some old brake pads lying around that they want to cut the wire and harness thingie off and mail them to me. Bueller? Bueller?

·
Registered
26,821 Posts
For the pads, I just connected a wire between the 2 sides on the connection and taped it up.

·
2,407 Posts
I did not touch my Passat, but I did buy a nice used air compressor for only $90. It's a Sanborn Black Max 3hp. 22 gallon unit that was sitting in a garage for over 20 years and only used to air up tires. It looks like this one, but no rust and is covered in dust/dirt with spider eggs underneath. Now I need to buy air tools :)It came with 2 hoses, air nozzles and extra gauges/parts.
It's a good brand. But the question is if the previous owner had changed the oil on regular basis. Also the 22 gallons now a days have become quite cheap although not with the 3hp engines. That is a lot of power.

I got rid of all my air tools and replaced them with an arsenal of DeWalt 20V brushless tools. So much better and practical.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I use cordless tools a lot but a compressor is useful for a lot of things. My tip would be to get a big set of the plug-together connectors. Different brands don't always interchange well and can leak or pop apart and getting enough the in one batch will eliminate that. Have fun with it. An air-gun is a great little tool as well, when cleaning out the garage or driveway, dirty engine bays, etc.

·
Registered
26,821 Posts
All they ever used it for was the occasional tire fill and I expect they get that from the dealership now. I don't know if they ever changed the oil (I doubt it) and I suspect they never drained the water as I could hear liquid moving around on the drive home. I don't think the oil would be that thin.
I have a 1/2" electric impact wrench that I used to compress coil springs, but I had always did everything else by hand. It's not quite strong enough for breaking loose lugs. Now things hurt more and I don't work consistently enough to keep strong. I'll use it for rotating tires, maybe suspension work and of course, adding air to the tires.

·
2,407 Posts
is it fixable?
Not sure if I understand it but are you asking if you can fix the warped rim or fix the damage?

Evidently, you need a new rim. You can buy a fender and side panel from the junk yard (or new from dealership) and paint it yourself. The broken tie rod doesn't look good but it's a cheap fix. It's not an expensive part. But you need to carefully evaluate all possible/hidden damages to the suspension and related parts.

·
2,407 Posts
I suspect they never drained the water as I could hear liquid moving around on the drive home.
The liquid is the air moisture turned to water. It is easy to drain it but what is worrisome is the length of time the water has sit inside the tank. It causes rust and if it sits there long enough it can erode the inner wall and at high pressures increases the danger of the tank wall be compromised. To be on the safe side, I would place it in a far corner of the garage and use long air hose to use the air tools.

·
Registered
85 Posts
So, today I hope that I fixed my wife's Passat. It's had a rather difficult to trace down oil leak. I thought it was just the valve cover, but it continued. So with the help of a small inspection camera, we found that the cam plug on bank two was leaking. Oddly, it pushed itself out of the bore, so I grabbed a new seal and siliconed it back in. So far it hasn't leaked. I also got her fog lights working.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Solved the “rear door won’t open” malady.

So I had the right rear door card off a few weeks back to try (unsuccessfully) to improve a luggish remote locking function. Unfortunately it seems I was recklessly negligent in reinstalling the hooked cable to the chrome handle. Next symptom was of course that the locked door wouldn’t open at all, and I could tell the inside handle had no real pull to it.
I had a moment of despair thinking I couldn’t get the locking pin up without hot gluing something to it, or drilling a screw into the top of it, but I was able to remove the trim ring around it and pull the pin up with needle-nose pliers. Door card off, and cable reattached correctly, within minutes, to allow the inside handle to open the door when locked.

It still doesn’t work well when locking by remote, but I don’t feel like throwing money at the latch on a door no one uses these days.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So, today I hope that I fixed my wife's Passat. It's had a rather difficult to trace down oil leak. I thought it was just the valve cover, but it continued. So with the help of a small inspection camera, we found that the cam plug on bank two was leaking. Oddly, it pushed itself out of the bore, so I grabbed a new seal and siliconed it back in. So far it hasn't leaked. I also got her fog lights working.
Sounds like a versatile small camera a good trick on taking a closer look. We'll gonna check my uncle's Passat right after we finished installing the brake kit and ironman tires on the current truck project. His Passat has this unknown leak for sometime now, gonna try that small camera trick.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sounds like a versatile small camera a good trick on taking a closer look. We'll gonna check my uncle's Passat right after we finished installing the brake kit and ironman tires on the current truck project. His Passat has this unknown leak for sometime now, gonna try that small camera trick.
So it's a camera you can buy at like harbor freight, only about $80. It has a 90deg mirror. It's a bit cramped, but was easy to see.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Not B5.5, but hey it’s Corona season and you guys are dying for some new content, so here’s some Audi B8 stuff.
2015 A4. Daughter calls, “Daddy, can you come here? I rear-ended a car.” Anger. Frustration. $-bill signs. Turns out it was fairly minor, just a cracked headlight (also some broken plastic mounting parts) and a bent hood. Fortunately the Exploder she hit was a junker that only had a few scratches to accompany the many dents it already had.
Me: “That headlight will be expensive, probably $500.”
Google: “Think again. List price $1420.-“. That’s right, the prick at Audi aftermarket parts pricing jacked up the price on probably the most common crash part to one thousand four hundred twenty dollars for one headlight. Needless to say, I’m going the used route.

The tie-in to the B5: daughter says “You could get 2 Edwards (our B5’s name) for 1 headlight.” Probably true.

·
Registered
85 Posts
That's rough man, that's half what I paid for my W8!
Which here my Segway, I got a badgeless grille and got it put in my car today, in between grades and such.

Now my poor car just needs a bath. I was debating repainting and reinstalling the W8 badge on the grille, thoughts?

8861 - 8880 of 8900 Posts