Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

8781 - 8800 of 8821 Posts

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Because the rear wheel bearing project was aborted, I decided to take care of some of the 'to do' items that I've been to lazy to do for the last few months.

Brand new coolant tank. Old one was seeping coolant when hot. Had your typical cracks in it.

Brand new N80 valve.

Replaced the old rubber strips on the sides of the windshield.
If I were selling the car, this would be a must do. It really dresses up the appearance of the vehicle.

·
Registered
26,644 Posts
Wow, my rubber windshield strips are still in good shape and I don't garage my car. The door bottoms look horrible though.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Wow, my rubber windshield strips are still in good shape and I don't garage my car. The door bottoms look horrible though.
Yeah most what you see is from down here. The top edges were just starting to show signs of decay when I was still in WI. The last 2 years down here have REALLY accelerated the aging process on the rubber trim pieces.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I crept up on one of these on the highway yesterday. I thought the design looked good from the back, but had forgotten how fugly the front was:

Had a '93 with a spoiler that was blast to drive, had owned domestic up until then, put some Michelins on, first car I owned that I could four wheel drift in

·
Registered
340 Posts
I spent three days getting the right pinch bolt out so I could replace the rest of my control arms/links.

Steering much better. I also pounded out the dent that cut my tire.

I did not have a chance to get to the other things I needed to do like the thermostat/housing/timing belt/water pump & also flex pipe.

While underneath the car I noticed some oil leaks that do not look new. I think they are coming from the bottom of both Kombi valve gaskets. Is this a known issue?
078 131 120D/M and 078 131 120E Ordered

Where did you buy these?

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Did you have to remove and replace any sealant ?
No
There is a plastic strip that gets laid in (and glued) with the windshield, that plastic strip is what these edge strips snap into.

Mine are still in good shape, but they seem to have pulled away from the windshield.
These are supposed to be tight against the glass, aren't they ?
Pretty much.

I'll snap a couple of pics for better visualization.

·
Registered
26,644 Posts
I spent three days getting the right pinch bolt out so I could replace the rest of my control arms/links.

Steering much better. I also pounded out the dent that cut my tire.

I did not have a chance to get to the other things I needed to do like the thermostat/housing/timing belt/water pump & also flex pipe.

While underneath the car I noticed some oil leaks that do not look new. I think they are coming from the bottom of both Kombi valve gaskets. Is this a known issue?
078 131 120D/M and 078 131 120E Ordered
Where did you buy these?
The combi valves should not leak oil unless the head is cracked near the air ports in the head. I've never see it happen. I expect the cam caps or valve covers are leaking.

·
Registered
26,644 Posts
Drove my wagon again, got the same Alternator Workshop warning and battery light on for the 1st couple of miles. I'll test it in a day or two as we have 3 cars and only 1 driver for now while my wife heals.
I also drove the Tiguan and it's got me spoiled. It's smoother, quieter, faster, newer and gets 7-8mpg better on the highway. The Passat gets better mpg in short city driving due to the manual trans and lighter weight. It's also much more fun to drive.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Changed the pre-cat O2 sensor on the FIL's Passat today. 2001 B5.5 AWT 1.8T. I had the wonderful surprise of actually being able to remove the old one with, wait for it..... a 22 mm open end wrench!

I used a Bosch specific sensor and was really surprised all the fastening accessories were included. Even the little plastic clamp-on ring used to protect the wiring from the metal retainer clamp.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Played with the EVAP system and found that the problem is in the tank area. This thread P0456 - Small leak detected - Not N80 valve was a great help and unfortunately, my problem is in the same area. I'll probably drop the tank to see what is going on eventually but for now I'll just live with the CEL.

I also changed the wheels over to snow tires and discovered that one of the outer CV boots is starting to rip and is just starting to throw grease. I guess I'll order a boot kit for that before my wife takes it in and gets a 'new' axle put on.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
I also changed the wheels over to snow tires
That's ironic. Just this weekend I was thinking I'll have to switch back to summer wheels here. Over the weekend several records were set for high temperatures with the highs over 18 C. There hasn't been any snow this winter.

Pretty soon I'll feel like I'm back in Kuwait, or at least my birth place in Texas.

·
Registered
26,644 Posts
Not as wild here. 81 yesterday, 65 today and Tuesday. 36 Wednesday with rain, ice and snow possible. So glad I don't have to go to work.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Freeze warnings tonight for Phoenix. :oops:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Because the rear wheel bearing project was aborted, I decided to take care of some of the 'to do' items that I've been to lazy to do for the last few months.

Brand new coolant tank. Old one was seeping coolant when hot. Had your typical cracks in it.

Brand new N80 valve.

If I were selling the car, this would be a must do. It really dresses up the appearance of the vehicle.

View attachment 98308

View attachment 98309
Yep, those are disintegrating at such a rate that I can't even separate a piece to look at the profile. If I could, there is at least one aftermarket supplier that sells a lot of weatherstrip at reasonable prices: Windshield Weatherstrip by the foot:

The weatherstrip is likely not the source of the leak, once it's removed, what kind of sealant/caulking into the area above the middle of the windshield where it's been leaking?

8781 - 8800 of 8821 Posts