Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

8761 - 8780 of 8984 Posts

·
Registered
26,960 Posts
Not mine, but checked a noise on "twowagens" car as he was nearby. I only found the front nut missing on the belly pan, hopefully that was it. Sent him home 30 mins before the tornado sirens started going off. Funnel cloud spotted south of Ft. Worth (about 25 miles away) but it looks like it fell apart as it neared DFW airport. No hail, but plenty of rain here.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Good Lord AR
For those of you in the Pics or didn't happen, sorry it's late but just took this:

also, for those of you with too much time on your hands, I didn't get a chance to swap over the tires because the guy said they were more offset than they were, so I need a little bit of space. I have some 10mm spacers coming Monday.
sorry a bit rainy and my keys were inside, so took it through the window:

·
Registered
26,960 Posts
Bought more parts that I will not install anytime soon. This time a JHM Short Shifter, I already have the solid linkage and cross-over (not installed). I did not want the Delrin bushings as I don't want more vibration.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have some 10mm spacers coming Monday.
So the people that sold me the spacers (from amazon) actually sold me adapters. so they were useless and were returned. 15mm spacers from another company came in last night and I got the blizzaks on her before the snow started coming down. She looks much better with the bigger tires.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Even made where you live. Keeping your dollars local. (y)

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
VAG sources quite a few parts from here. There's even an assembly plant in the northwestern section of Hungary.

More than once Johnny Cash's song, "One Piece At A Time" has crossed my mind.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Had it towed as I think it was my thermostat housing that blew up today on my drive into work. I have no idea what I am going to do now. I now have 0 working vehicles.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Had it towed as I think it was my thermostat housing that blew up today on my drive into work. I have no idea what I am going to do now. I now have 0 working vehicles.
I've been there before too!
Back in 2004 I had seven vehicles sitting in my driveway. There was a period of time that every single one of them were out of commission. I was dumb founded, I remember thinking how the hell did this happen. I know this doesn't help your current situation, but I can tell you I feel your pain and frustration.

If you've got the V6 in your car, switch to the aluminum thermostat housing. I've done it to every V6 I've owned.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Aluminum Thermostat Housing

Don't worry about the VIN up to or whatever notes. This housing fits on ALL V6's AHA or ATQ engines.
Duly noted. unfortunately, it will be a while before I can do that upgrade. The problem with 0 working cars, is I live in the middle of nowhere VT, and my office is 13 miles away.
just been a horrible last 16 months for me. if it wasn't for bad luck, I would have none at all.

·
Registered
26,960 Posts
Had what I thought was a minor issue last week after not driving the car for 2-3 weeks. Started the car and got the "Alternator Workshop" and battery light in the dash. A few minutes later, ran it to redline in 1st and 2nd getting on the highway and the light went out. No issue the rest of the day running errands.

I drove the car again this morning. I drove my wife 20 miles to the surgery center for rotator cuff repairs in my car as she already has trouble climbing into the Tiguan. Started the car and the warning and light comes on again. Due to drizzle and fog, I had the lights on, but they did not dim at all. After a few miles the warning lights go out. Then I hit the windshield single wipe and the instrument cluster died right after the ABS Beep and brake light flashed. No lights, no tach, no speedo for about 15 seconds. Then everything came back and no issues the rest of the day apart from the car door auto-locking before I even drove anywhere. That's happened a few times over the last few years, not sure if it happened only after the swap. I don't know if the ABS module has ever been replaced, but it has not in the last 15 years I have owned the car (surprising considering the stiff suspension and high speed driving on dirt roads). The auto-lock problem usually comes up as a failing cluster (center readout was replaced years ago) as it does not show any speed when the doors lock, so it's not the VSS.

I'll see if the light comes on Friday, as my wife can't drive for a month (more damage than expected). I do have the cluster out of the donor car I could test out, but it has a broken plastic cover. I was worried about breaking down on the way to the surgery center and am pretty frustrated in general (almost to the point of deciding to sell again).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Been here before for different reasons, think today might be the end of repairs to get my 2.8 01 Passat sound.

When I first got this car, PCV was wrapped in electrical tape end to end. Close inspection realized that it needed replacing, everything was fine for a week. Then she started smoking. Frustration built, car sat, and finally we determined our "cause" to be leaky valve gaskets. Replaced, drove for a week, smoking stopped and then came back. One more time on the gaskets last week, as we were unsure if they were actually the issue. Replaced cam seals and caps all the way around just for good measure. Smoking stopped for a day, then she threw codes. First one was 1338, realized cam position sensor didn't get plugged back in all the way. Second one was 1411, discovered a cracked line running from SAIP into the air box.

Also decided to pull the PCV vacuum valve and test for clogs. Lo and behold, the cause for my crankcase pressure. Replacement comes tuesday.

Also worth noting, replaced bank 1 cam chain tensioner shoe. Noted that when we were trying to wedge it in, the middle cam on that side popped over one tooth ? Tuesday she gets TDC check for alignment, but the noise is troubling. Only thing I cant figure out is why this car clacks when started from cold. After turnover, I can turn it off and start it again and no noise. Only when it sits. ?‍♂?‍♂?‍♂ trouble in B5 mechanics paradise

·
Registered
249 Posts
Been here before for different reasons, think today might be the end of repairs to get my 2.8 01 Passat sound.

Also worth noting, replaced bank 1 cam chain tensioner shoe. Noted that when we were trying to wedge it in, the middle cam on that side popped over one tooth ? Tuesday she gets TDC check for alignment, but the noise is troubling. Only thing I cant figure out is why this car clacks when started from cold. After turnover, I can turn it off and start it again and no noise. Only when it sits. ?‍♂?‍♂?‍♂ trouble in B5 mechanics paradise
I do believe that the CCTs need oil pressure to work properly. I think they're supposed to hold that pressure for a while. Yours may be leaking down too soon - might be a sign that new ones are in your future. If they fail, it may be too late.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Noticed a grinding in the rear passenger brakes when applying. Have to investigate tonight or tomorrow. Hope it's just a case of the assembly not sliding freely on the guide pins.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
I do believe that the CCTs need oil pressure to work properly. I think they're supposed to hold that pressure for a while. Yours may be leaking down too soon - might be a sign that new ones are in your future. If they fail, it may be too late.
That would be correct. During or while the car is running the CCT's are pressurized with oil. When the car is not running, the CCT's have a spring inside that spread the top and bottom shoes out away from each other, that in turn keeps the cam chain with tension on it. It is imperative that the cam chain stays taught. If there is any slack, you risk jumping teeth on the cam sprocket(s).
That spring tension is the only thing keeping the cam chain wrapped around the cam sprockets until the engine has started and is delivering full pressure to the CCT's. Albeit, it only takes a couple of seconds to get full oil pressure throughout the entire engine, but for those couple of seconds, there is an awful lot of shyte going on inside that motor.

Low oil pressure delivery to the head can cause a CCT to fail or not operate as it was intended to do.
A piece of dirt or uneven wear inside the CCT can cause it to fail also. This would be indicative of a cam chain with slack in it while the engine is off.
If the cam chain has slack in it while the car running. then you've got some serious issues that need to be addressed. Either oil starvation or completely failed CCT.

I posted this some years back. I'll bring it back to the forefront. This is a brand new CCT I had installed on one my V6 refresh projects. It turns out that CCT was obviously dropped or crushed by someone / something during assembly, the inside bore where the upper and lower shoe rides in, was all scarred up and the shoes were unable to move up and down freely.

Slack in cam chain 1

Slack in cam chain 2

8761 - 8780 of 8984 Posts