Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

8741 - 8760 of 8774 Posts

·
Registered
26,468 Posts
The light may not be damaged, it may simply be the difference in the ballast. I've noticed this when my TRS ballasts died and I had to use an older backup. With new ballasts, the headlights are back to where they should be.

On my ballasts (Morimoto), the plugs failed after being removed from the car once after just over 1 year of use.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
It's the bulb. I swapped the ballasts and even tried another ballast with the bulb still being slightly off in color.
At least it's an easy fix.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I scanned my FIL's 2001 Passat for codes the second time within a week. The CEL lit up with no noticable issues. The first scan resulted in seven engine codes, SAIP, O2 sensor, MAF, MAP, and evap system. The second scan only showed the O2 sensor. Pre-cat and 17511/P1103. Once he gets the new sensor I'll be changing it. Is there truly a need to use a crow's foot/sensor wrench to get the sensor out if the sensor isn't overly tight?

·
Registered
26,468 Posts
It's almost always too tight from the heat cycling.

·
Registered
26,468 Posts
New front pads and rotors on my youngest's 2000 V6 wagon. They said the calipers were good despite uneven brake wear, so I guess the slides had too much rust built up in the last 4 years since they were changed. The shop also found a freshly torn CV boot (also about 4 yrs old), but since it's not clicking, I will replace the axle (lifetime warranty) when he comes home in 6 months. The rear brakes will need to be changed then as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I replaced the right side seat position adjustment cable. It probably just needed the slide pin cleaned and re-greased but I broke the plastic clip that secures the cable at the lever side while I was trying to figure it out. All good now. :)

·
I'm just itching to be Banned
13,871 Posts
Heeeeeey Buuuuuuddy! You can get a good plastic replacement hose set from Amazon or Ebay for less than $20 if that is the part you are looking for. Mine worked great!
Hey, long time no see! I'm going to try that out, seems like a part I can cheap out on a bit.

I'd be really happy to go three years without a CEL and 10 years on an axle.
The cel part is a miracle, the axle has been slightly torn for a year or so but not enough to fling out grease so I've been nursing it along. The biggest source of CEL's for me seemed to be vacuum leaks and it was 100% solved with the 034 motorsports hose kit, I really can't recommend it enough.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Monday:
Oil change. Replace both front wheel speed sensors.
Yesterday:
Wash car.
Go to diagnose the non-operative RF seat heater, and... it's operative. ((shrugs))
Inspect plugs at seat & right A-pillar station, nothing to see.
Install front tower brace that I picked up last month (via FB B5 Owner's Group.) Wow, what a difference. Hard to tell about normal driving (e.g. turn-in), due to snow tires. But, the difference in how the car handles mid-corner bumps is amazing.

·
Registered
26,468 Posts
2 point bar? I've had my bar off since the swap and it was like adding a rear sway bar when it was on. Turn in was almost violent, but in a good way. I need to swap in the upper control arm mounting plates from the donor as I stripped one of the bolts last time I had the bar in place. Of course, I kept waiting to do it until after the electric fan was working again (recently fixed) as I need it off to check the a/c pressure and to pull the battery. Kind of a hassle, but eventually the battery will go in the hatch.

8741 - 8760 of 8774 Posts