Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

8701 - 8720 of 8774 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought a new stearing wheel

This is how it looked like after the install

But...i was not happy with it so I bought a new Android headunit and a Golf 7 stearing wheel

And this is the final result

Im quite happy with the result
Looks like a new car now

·
Registered
5 Posts
Glad you like it!
They dont work right now

I orderd myself a colored 3d board computer since mine faded
The company I order from also sold a Canbus adapter which can connect the stearing wheel to the navigation and board computer
Im not sure how it works or how to set it up
Ill make a post once i get it

·
Registered
26,458 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
I didn't do anything today. Got in, pushed the rear window defroster button, and the wood-grain trim piece corner popped loose. I guess after 17 years, the adhesive finally gave up the ghost.

Anyone have suggestions as to what I can use to glue this back down in sub-freezing temperatures?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I replaced the PCV valve to silence the tooting pancake, and decided to toss in a new relay to see see if that would solve the case of the slumbering smog pump, which it seems to have done. Then tried rubbing and polishing some dead looking paint on the roof and hood, and spruced up the headlights at the same time. So Edward should be good for a few months.

Question: has anyone else wondered about the Audi engineers who were so stupid as to design the ultra-durable splash shield cover of the relay block with 5 screws (when one or clips would do), where one screw is only accessible by prying off a little access plug that is sure to go flying every time? The relay block is of course open to the elements from the underside. All this while the plenum cover is made of garbage can plastic and just thrown on to be held down by the engine compartment gasket?

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I took the battery terminals loose to clean the interior contact surface of the terminals and the posts to ensurea good connection during the upcoming winter months.

I also measured the voltage at the terminals while the engine was running. The interior fan was the only accessory going. I am not sure if the glow plugs were still cycling. I measured 13.7 volts. Is this still acceptable or is an alternator rebuild in the future?

·
Administrator
23,496 Posts
My 90a original on my 1.8T put out ~13.7 for years with no battery problems it only ramps up voltage if it needs to. It never failed. Even if you need a rebuild, it's usually only brushes or a regulator which are really easy.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I took the battery terminals loose to clean the interior contact surface of the terminals and the posts to ensurea good connection during the upcoming winter months.

I also measured the voltage at the terminals while the engine was running. The interior fan was the only accessory going. I am not sure if the glow plugs were still cycling. I measured 13.7 volts. Is this still acceptable or is an alternator rebuild in the future?
Good question that needs to be answered, if 13.7 V is still acceptable. I suppose there is a guide somewhere on voltage or use another VW as a benchmark to measure and compare...

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I have a feeling 13.7 V is fine. I should have waited a little for the engine to warm up more to ensure the glow plugs weren't cycling on and off. The battery seems to be able to turn the engine over fine even after sitting for an extended period of time (longer than a week) in cold weather.

·
Registered
26,458 Posts
13.7V should be fine. I've seen as high as 14.1 with the engine at higher speeds.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Glad you like it!
They dont work right now

I orderd myself a colored 3d board computer since mine faded
The company I order from also sold a Canbus adapter which can connect the stearing wheel to the navigation and board computer
Im not sure how it works or how to set it up
Ill make a post once i get it
Please do!
This is a thing that I've wanted for some time - but, can never seem to find any info on having the thing actually work.
More than anything, more buttons to control the HU would be nice. (Plus, my wheel has the olds, and gets a bit sticky in the summer, esp. when it's very humid.)

·
Registered
660 Posts
This didn't happen today but I'm getting back into the Passat scene after buying a new to me 2002 4mo V6 wagon a few months ago. Replaced a shredded flex pipe and both upstream O2 sensors. The headlight adjusters were broken on both headlights and stuck pointing down so I got Spyder headlights from Jegs fairly cheaply. Found a different badgeless grill in Latvia on eBay and threw a "grill badge" grill badge on it. Lightly smoked the tail lights and put LEDs back there to avoid any dirty looks from the police. Finally, I installed a double din Pioneer touch screen head unit along with JBL GTO speakers all around powered by some 500w Sony amp since the previous speakers were destroyed and since this had the Monsoon system, just replacing the speakers wouldn't work. Wiring the speakers to the amp was very easy thanks to the factory amp wiring harness! Oh and a backup camera to make life easier. I've been away for a few years but it's good to be back.

·
Administrator
23,496 Posts
This didn't happen today but I'm getting back into the Passat scene after buying a new to me 2002 4mo V6 wagon a few months ago. Replaced a shredded flex pipe and both upstream O2 sensors. The headlight adjusters were broken on both headlights and stuck pointing down so I got Spyder headlights from Jegs fairly cheaply. Found a different badgeless grill in Latvia on eBay and threw a "grill badge" grill badge on it. Lightly smoked the tail lights and put LEDs back there to avoid any dirty looks from the police. Finally, I installed a double din Pioneer touch screen head unit along with JBL GTO speakers all around powered by some 500w Sony amp since the previous speakers were destroyed and since this had the Monsoon system, just replacing the speakers wouldn't work. Wiring the speakers to the amp was very easy thanks to the factory amp wiring harness! Oh and a backup camera to make life easier. I've been away for a few years but it's good to be back.
View attachment 97991
View attachment 97992
View attachment 97993
Looks good! Welcome back!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Very nice looking wagon. You will cause some envy! But, The Grill badge needs more explaining. What's the significance of that? Plus, it came all the way from Latvia where basketball is popular. I met an Uber driver from Latvia who found out I'm from Kentucky and we went straight to basketball talk... So why a Grill Badge?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Well I had a grill badge on my old B5 so I wanted to keep the tradition. It was a German flag badge on that one, which seemed to be popular at the time, but I put the "grill badge" grill badge on partly out of irony. It's a grill on a grill badge, that has "grill badge" written around the edge (hard to see in the picture). It's very meta, had to do it.

Here's my old car for comparison. The colgan bra didn't fit that well around the grill and a it's bit hard to see the grill badge behind the mesh.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Oh, I had a well...duh moment about your Grill badge Or lights on. Am I the only one, I wonder? Yes, there is humor in the irony of the grill badge. I have R-Line badges and a few R decals all over my 2017 Passat. People ask what is R-Line? I tell them if you buy a Passat, VW will give you a letter badge to represent your last name. They fall for it every time :D

R Line badge.JPG

·
Administrator
23,496 Posts
Please do!
This is a thing that I've wanted for some time - but, can never seem to find any info on having the thing actually work.
More than anything, more buttons to control the HU would be nice. (Plus, my wheel has the olds, and gets a bit sticky in the summer, esp. when it's very humid.)
lookup colormfa. Matt Litke does them. Clusters by Litke on FB. He's a wizard with clusters and stuff. I believe he's jacking around with modding a Tesla now.

8701 - 8720 of 8774 Posts