Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

8661 - 8680 of 8697 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
three years ,but I'm in "rust belt" no snow for this car or at least limited from now on out, but the main reason I think most failures occur is that the factory set ups or OEM equivalents are too short to even flex at all, and I had new motor and tranny mounts, visualize a flex pipe from the down pipe to central muffler, it's convoluted structure would never be stressed to its yield point ( where it stays bent) It would fail by corrosion before it ever failed by mechanical flexing. Doubling the length was a educated guess, see you in a couple of years.

·
Registered
26,288 Posts
Pulled out the 2.0 stroker shortblock from the hatch of the donor where is has sat the last 16 months. Also pulled out the 4Mo Tip trans from the hatch. Then pulled out the old V6 longblock from under the hood where it has sat for over 4 years. Had help from "Twowagens" pushing, pulling and lifting the loaded engine hoist over the driveway and garage lips. For some reason it's so much harder to do alone now that I am retired. Probably about 900-950lbs for all.
Hopefully more work on that this week as I need to finally get rid of the donor car.

·
Registered
26,288 Posts
Yes, I am aging faster now that I am 56 :p Work did keep me younger, but also kept me in pain.
My Dad once mentioned it was much harder to move rock and mulch in the garden after age 70.

·
Registered
26,288 Posts
Working in NJ was worse due to the severe cold (not quite as cold as Columbus Ohio where my Dad lived). I prefer the warmth, even with the hot summers.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
the "heat" .....you do not have to shovel it
Yeah, I was once told before I moved out here, "you don't have to shovel the sunshine". That most certainly is a true statement.
But the freakin' heat out here from May to October is just ridiculous, at least for me it is anyways.
I don't know how you people in Texas survive. The heat is bad enough, add in that humidity, that is just downright brutal.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Yeah, I was once told before I moved out here, "you don't have to shovel the sunshine". That most certainly is a true statement.
But the freakin' heat out here from May to October is just ridiculous, at least for me it is anyways.
I don't know how you people in Texas survive. The heat is bad enough, add in that humidity, that is just downright brutal.
its why i live in VT.
my house doesn't even have AC....

·
Registered
26,288 Posts
We did not have a/c in NJ, but my Dad hated the hot/humid summer days. He had a/c in Columbus, and it felt worse in both those places in summer (to us) than it does here due to the humidity. It was a pleasant 79 and sunny on Tuesday with no humidity. I can adapt to cold or heat, but I don't like heavy humidity where you need to shovel air into your lungs. My wife hates the heat and the cold, funny as she grew up in a hot and humid tropical country.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Replaced the drivers axle as the inner CV blew apart while accelerating through an intersection. Luckily I was able to coast it off the road and have it towed back to my house.

·
Registered
26,288 Posts
Went to test fit the 2.0 in the donor car to see if the V6 snub mount and radiator carrier will line up with the B6 A4 style snub mount (fitted on side of oil pan, not front). Swapped the engine hoist off the V6, onto the 2.0 and moved it halfway across the garage. Stopped to clean up the work bench a bit and the 2.0 was sitting on the ground (has an old tire underneath. Tried to pick it up and the jack would go back down after each pump. Added fluid (it's not leaking) and no luck. It had a similar issue last weekend when we pulled the V6 from the front and 4Mo Tip trans and 2.0 from the hatch. I added a bit of fluid then and it worked. 10 years old, but it looks nearly new. I can pick up a new hydraulic section Sunday at Northern Tool.

So instead I ended up pulling the heads, ex manifolds and some other small parts off of the V6. Put them all in the hatch of the donor until I am ready to sell them (soon).

·
Registered
30 Posts
All I did to it is drive it to Cincinnati to watch the Steelers play the Bengals. NFL stadiums should have a special section for Passat owners because they are so VIP. 🏆

·
Registered
26,288 Posts
A pic from last weeks work:

Some nice weather last week:

And some from yesterday, the easy way to change V6 motor mounts:

An impossible to clamp CV, figured this after fighting it last week for well over an hour. New GKN boot is pretty thick, but with a good amount of silicone:

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
An impossible to clamp CV, figured this after fighting it last week for well over an hour. New GKN boot is pretty thick, but with a good amount of silicone
Thank you for posting this alternate process! I hate having to fight with the clamp also! I will have to try this the next time I am changing a CV boot.

·
Registered
30 Posts
PZ, those are excellent pictures of the CV boot. A wild question I have about CV boots is do you all know anyone who found a small crack in the boot and instead of changing it, used a silicone glob to close it?

·
Registered
49 Posts
PZ, those are excellent pictures of the CV boot. A wild question I have about CV boots is do you all know anyone who found a small crack in the boot and instead of changing it, used a silicone glob to close it?
On my wifes passat I do currently have a crack in the boot that is slowly leaking. I would like to do that to close it but have been lazy. In the past 3 years I have gone thru 3 cv axles each side (I bought autozone axles) so they keep warrantying them when the outer boots rip.

·
Registered
26,288 Posts
You would have to clean and dry the area completely and that is hard to do without the grease pushing through or the cleaning agent getting inside the boot. That and with one part is cracking, the rest will follow soon enough.

8661 - 8680 of 8697 Posts