Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

8641 - 8660 of 8697 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks man, You cant mess around with hacky electrical in a VW. Im sure the panel in the link was made in the same factory. As for the details the one I used is an Eaton. The whole panel is rated to 100 amps, each slot rated to 25 amps. I used a 10awg (Kind of wish i did 8awg but more then ok) wire fused and straight to the battery. Firewall holes on the B5 chassis are like finding unicorns. I already used the slot in the harness behind the ecu box for my boost gauge so i drilled a new hole coming in right behind the hvac box.

·
Registered
26,288 Posts
Put the lower dash cover back on with the help of several zip ties. It's broken at most of the bolt holes. Electric fan now works so the a/c won't cut out at stops any longer. The sunroof also works now, including closing with the key in the door. Took it for inspection and it passed without any issues.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Cleared the 'very small EVAP leak, intermittant' code, again.....took off the EVAP valve and tried to blow through it, it seemed fine so I put it back on. Replaced the rubber part that holds it to the bracket since it was torn. Replaced the clamps of course with some brand new oetiker clamps, checked the gas cap and put it back on with 4 clicks. I really don't want to spend a lot of time on this EVAP thing and my VCDS is currently out of action so hoping this will fix it. If not, I guess I'll get my VCDS back together and go from there.
If you know - or if anyone knows - 10 minutes +/- after shutting off and after removing/replacing the EVAP valve, should there be a gurgling sound in gas tank after loosening gas cap ? Sounded like fuel was draining back into tank.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm cleaning the wheels that have baked on black brake dust for who knows how long? I just bought this 2001 Passat wagon with 110,000 miles. I'm using engine degreaser, steel wool pad, and elbow grease. Working slowly and the difference is amazing.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Replaced the PS high pressure hose. Not a fun job. I've never been so frustrated working on my Passat. You can see the banjo bolt, you can touch it, but there is about 1/4" too little room in any direction to get a wrench on it. :mad: Anyway, after buying a 19mm GearWrench I was able to get the dang thing together. Fortunately, the tie-rod end came apart easily. That was the easy part of the job and increased access quite a bit. Woe to those in the rust belt who try this job!

I also found about 1/2 gallon of mud packed into the space behind the lower plastic trim where it meets the front wheel well. So I cleaned that out. Plus vacuumed the leaves from under the valence.

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,294 Posts
there is about 1/4" too little room in any direction to get a wrench on it.
That has been carefully thought on by German engineers to prevent the average Joe from being able doing it. It must generate lucrative profits for the dealerships.:devilish:

·
Registered
945 Posts
That has been carefully thought on by German engineers to prevent the average Joe from being able doing it. It must generate lucrative profits for the dealerships.:devilish:
Mid-way through, I was wondering how much it would have cost to have the dealer do it, and what the standard procedure and book rate is for the job. Or maybe there is some dealer-only specialty wrench available to make the job easier.:cool: But probably not, I bet the VW tech's hate it as much as anyone.

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,294 Posts
Or maybe there is some dealer-only specialty wrench available to make the job easier.
I'm certain there is. One such specialty tool that no dog in the world has it but the VW dealerships is the one to remove the 6th hidden bolt on ABS module.

Putting the coolant flange so close to the firewall, or the entire belts and accessories in such tight space is no coincidence. It is designed on purpose to generate revenue for the dealerships.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
and the 2.8 compared to the 1.8 is on steroids as far as access goes
Quit your sniveling. Those are gravy compared to the W8's. :p

·
Registered
4,380 Posts

·
Registered
26,288 Posts
Added 1L of oil and 1L of coolant to my oldest son's 01.5 Passat. I changed the CTS seal and did an oil change (along with a lot of other work) back around April. I knew the coolant would drop and he mentioned he had not checked the oil since then. I'll have to check the mileage when I did the oil, I think he has around 78-82K on the car now.

·
Registered
26,288 Posts
Got it registered and was able to give the driveway parking back to my wife's Golf. My car is happy on the street.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Now that's a proper weld.

·
Registered
139 Posts
How long did the last set go ? I did mine about 1K miles ago. I put threads on both ends and gave them a good coating of hi-temp paint. Wish I could have found some reverse-thread fittings; wasn't easy mating everything up. Not looking forward to this job again.

8641 - 8660 of 8697 Posts