Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

8601 - 8606 of 8606 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
I changed mine a few months ago. It was a bit hard due to cramped space.

I didn't remove the oil filter which made the job harder. But if it's removed perhaps will be somewhat easier. Overall it's not a job I'm looking forward doing again!
Same here, it's been a few years ago, but I had just changed the oil so I didn't pull the filter. Tough to access with the filter on. Next time, the filter has got to go.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I hate to say this but that's wishful thinking :p
Yeah, tell me about it. I have new rotors & pads for all 4 corners of the car. Wondering how much longer the clutch will last with 177k mi on it, (still original clutch). Could do with a suspension refresh. But I love the car, hoping to get a few more years out of it.

·
Registered
26,073 Posts
I had to change my engine speed sensor in the parking lot at work several years ago. I did not pull the filter and with the bright sunlight, it was like looking into a cave.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Over the course of yesterday and today the timing belt, tensioner, idler, water pump, oil, oil filter, air filter and cabin filter were replaced. I really appreciate the ease with which a timing belt change can be accomplished on a 1.9 TDI engine.

You can see the locking tools for the camshaft and crankshaft in the picture below.

The below shows how the water pump came off in three pieces. I had to use a hammer to remove it and in the process broke off the cast mounting hole (piece in center of photo) for the timing belt cover. When I was finally able to remove the water pump from the block the outer ring (top left item) off the impeller was sitting in the water jacket. I don't know if it came off due to my hitting the water pump with the hammer or was already loose. The water pump O-ring had fused the pump to the block.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Finally found/made the time to change my O2 sensors out today. After 18 months of owning, would be nice to have no CEL - until the next problem rears it's ugly head.

While underneath, I noticed that there are plastic plugs in the underbody. I also noticed that these plugs, which are supposed to be covered with undercoating, are now probably exposed on most of our B5's. Before the snow flies and the salt is spread, might be a good time to give them all a new shot of undercoating.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
I replaced the radiator on my FIL's Passat. It wasn't as difficult as I was anticipating. I was dreading removing the hoses but when I did the timing belt I applied silicone grease to the fittings and they both came off very easily.

I also bled the clutch and brakes on his Passat.

The next task will be the tie rod ends.

8601 - 8606 of 8606 Posts