Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

8581 - 8600 of 8607 Posts

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Replaced the missing VW emblem on my engine cover. Bought four inexpensive wheel hub centers from Amazon. Put three on the wheels. For the fourth, I broke off the tabs, sanded on a belt sander, and epoxied it to the engine cover. Eye-sore no more! View attachment 97339
Even has the valve cover covers on. I'm impressed.
VW really made a tidy engine compartment back in those days. My '98 Mercury Mystique had the Duratech V6 engine in it, which by it's own rights looked cool, but the engine compartment looked as though it was hastily put through the design phase. Even to the point a couple of items seemed as though they were overlooked/forgotten until right at the end.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
manual wagon, 1.8T ,as said in the past by many a COMPLETE package by VW......and last of a dying breed . I have the 2001.5 with the AWM. as a sidebar to this an easy TB job, question.....whose tensioner do you use ? Always suspect for me (their design and operation) ....know that you have to compress them VERY slow but what I have noticed/observed........ so I do a timing job, set the tensioner at the specified 8 millimeter gap, start her up ,turn off ,come back the next day and gap has been reduced to 5-6 mm due to exhaust cam wanting/turning CCW ever so slightly to relieve itself from the cam spring pressure.

·
Administrator
23,302 Posts
Clunks? Have none. Or are you talking about another post?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
When I swapped out the rear springs a couple weeks ago, I noticed the bump stops had perished. Put in some sport length ones today in about an hour total. Cleaned up the shocks and gave her a bath, too.

Very nice.
These white replacement bump stops seem to take the elements better than the older yellow ones.

·
Administrator
23,302 Posts
Very nice.
These white replacement bump stops seem to take the elements better than the older yellow ones.
First time I have seen the white ones. Can't remember what the yellow ones are made from, but these are polyurethane foam.

·
Administrator
23,302 Posts
Cleaned up the engine bay a little bit. Noticed that a three way check valve connected to the SJP was cracked. Yes, I have the original suction jet pump at 175k, but it's not cracked open, so I ain't touching it!
Good thing I always pick up new-ish looking spares when I go to the junk yard.
IMG_9853.JPG IMG_9851.JPG IMG_9854.JPG IMG_9850.JPG

·
Administrator
23,302 Posts
Getting some work done! Bought a 120a alternator a while back with crunchy bearings. Swapped out the bearings and put on a new voltage regulator. She kicks out a mighty fine 14.29 volts!
IMG_9869.JPG IMG_9871.JPG

·
Registered
904 Posts
New G28 sensor on the 2002 1.8t, aka ESS (engine speed sensor), CSS (crank speed sensor), rpm sensor. What ever you call it, mine was bad was throwing codes for implausible signal and intermittent no signal. Sorry but I forgot the actual code numbers. I was also getting a timing error code for camshaft not reaching advance or something but I'm hoping that was just related to the G28 problem. Car runs fine now and no more MIL/CEL. I also had a EVAP small leak code but I'll either fix that later or ignore it if there is no light generated.

Replacement wasn't too bad but the oil only had about 500 miles on it so I tried to save it, which was probably more work than it was worth.

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,241 Posts
Replacement wasn't too bad
I changed mine a few months ago. It was a bit hard due to cramped space.

but the oil only had about 500 miles on it so I tried to save it, which was probably more work than it was worth.
I didn't remove the oil filter which made the job harder. But if it's removed perhaps will be somewhat easier. Overall it's not a job I'm looking forward doing again!

·
Administrator
23,302 Posts
Noticed your ABS module is intact which is good given the age of the car.
Also the VW badge on the engine cover looks pretty new to me. Mine has faded away a lot.
Yep. The only two major issues I've had since I bought it with 24k are the original water pump shattering and a coil pack dying. Part number on the badge should be 038 103 940 F https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/vw-engine-cover-emblem/038103940f/

·
Registered
904 Posts
I didn't remove the oil filter which made the job harder. But if it's removed perhaps will be somewhat easier. Overall it's not a job I'm looking forward doing again!
I'm impressed you managed without removing the oil filter. I was about ready to remove the oil/coolant heat exchanger but I didn't want to deal with replacing the o-ring or whatever....

·
Administrator
23,302 Posts
I'm impressed you managed without removing the oil filter. I was about ready to remove the oil/coolant heat exchanger but I didn't want to deal with replacing the o-ring or whatever....
I had to do it on my wife's B6 AMB on a hot engine. That 940/25 filter left a nice 1st degree red patch on my forearm for a few days.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Today: Reinstalled the headlights that I clear coated yesterday. :)

About 10 days ago, I clay barred the car so that I can machine polish the finish soon.

Within a month, I'll paint and clear my front bumper (I painted the back bumper last year).

8581 - 8600 of 8607 Posts