Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

8561 - 8580 of 8617 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Replaced PCV valves and tubes with the 034 Motor Sport kit. Cleaned intake manifold (took 2 hours of scrubbing) and injectors, Other general cleaning as well. Redid vacuum lines with silicone as well. The SAIP is still leaking like crazy and causing super rough idle for the first 30s or so of startup. Need to fix that soon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Pulled the blower assembly out from under the glove box and started troubleshooting tests to locate the fault. I’m not a young man anymore so laying arched backwards over the seat with my head and arms under the dash was less than thrilling or comfortable.
Pretty sure it’s the thermal fuse and when I told a buddy that if it is I’ll just run to Radio Shack and get one to solder in. He laughed for 5 min barely able to say “Radio Shack? There are no more Radio Shacks, dumbass”.

·
Administrator
23,309 Posts
Popped in my Shine "Race" springs in the rear and coilover adjusters to get the height I wanted. Perfect spring rate for a Wagon to compliment the Shine "Street" springs in the front. Very balanced and promotes turn-in

·
Registered
908 Posts
Wasn't me but I still claim ownership to the car....my son texted to say he filled the PS and the whining sound went away. I guess that's sort of good news as it could sure be worse but now I have 1) a PS leak somewhere on that car and 2) a mix of PS fluid types in the system. I guess 2 isn't a big issue since it will probably have to be drained to fix the leak, so I just hope he can get it home before any permanent damage is done. Probably 1000 miles away at this point.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Replaced the SAIP outlet hose with one from Amazon.. Was a big crack on the old one. Still not the best idle on cold starts - need to look into more. Other than that though, runs great. About to roll over 250k miles.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
what exactly is that? My doors ALL suck lol
It's a small, approx. 3 inch cable with plastic custom ends, that connects the door lock mechanism latch to the external handle. It's a separate part, does not come with the lock mechanism, or the handle. Normally, this doesn't require replacement, but the external handle side of mine became marred when the door wasn't opening at all, and I was trying different approaches to get it to release.

The door lock mechanisms on the B5 are notorious for failing for several reasons (e.g. microswitch solder joints). My suggestion is to start a new dedicated thread and describe your symptoms, and we can probably narrow it down.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Wasn't me but I still claim ownership to the car....my son texted to say he filled the PS and the whining sound went away. I guess that's sort of good news as it could sure be worse but now I have 1) a PS leak somewhere on that car and 2) a mix of PS fluid types in the system. I guess 2 isn't a big issue since it will probably have to be drained to fix the leak, so I just hope he can get it home before any permanent damage is done. Probably 1000 miles away at this point.
Check near the two PS cooler attach points near the driver's-side bottom corner of the backside of the radiator - those started leaking a long time ago on mine. I bought new worm clamps, and double clamped them - a new hose would have been optimal, but the opposite end, connecting to the engine, is much more difficult to access, and the part is quite pricey. I also had small leaks at the two connectors to the reservoir. Reclamped those too. I still have a very very slow leak, but I just top it off every 4-6 months. Not ideal, but you do what you have to do.

FYI, I ran regular PS fluid in my car for a few years, when I didn't know a thing about cars. If you can believe it, I asked the VW dealer parts dept for PS fluid for my Passat, and they sold me regular PS fluid! Anyway, I eventually flushed the system, and returned to the appropriate stuff. Besides the leaks mentioned above, the steering rack seems to be OK (knock on wood). So there's hope.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've seen this on many forums and it's always been a winner. Post up what you did to your car today. Add a picture or two that show what your did.

With that, I give you my addition, I polished my headlights.
Nice job on the headlights. Did you use a compound and mechanical polisher or just wax and a lot of rubbing.
My task today (in getting this 1999 road worthy, again) was to track down and stop the battery leak. Found it!
The passenger visor mirror flip cover got broken (to my amazement) and so the switch that turns the visor light on/off did not operate and was in the "on" position all the time. Popped out the bulb and fixed, for now. Will be looking for a replacement cover and lens.

8561 - 8580 of 8617 Posts