Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

8541 - 8560 of 9214 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Passat GLS 1.8T 4Mo 5M Wagon!
29 Posts
It may not be perfect but neither is the original design by VW.
Hell yeah man, I love seeing when people think outside the box to come up with solutions for issues that VAG R & D Engineers should be embarrassed by! It seems that the gloveboxes and center console armrest compartments have been frustratingly notorious for their lack of quality and probability of failure for 20+ years....

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Went to fill up my W8 with premium gas - NO GAS AVAILABLE IN PARTS OF PHOENIX!!!!

Some gas stations are on a daily allotment of gas. When did the embargo happen?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Repaired glove box .When open was hanging down on left side. I removed the complete unit only to discover the dash mounts were completely broken . After checking the web the consensus seems to be you have no choice except to replace the dashboard. I decided to see if anyone makes a repair kit . There are kits for Jettas but nothing for Passats. I just couldn't see putting in a new dash so I made my own repair . It may not be perfect but neither is the original design by VW. I took a piece is aluminium aluminum flat stock 1/2 X 1/16 it is strong but bendable . I was able to bend it to fit the glove box and attach it with #8 X 9/16 self tapping screws to the air box . I then used #8 1X1/4 self tapping screws to attach the glove box to the bracket and one through the top of bracket into the bottom piece of bracket for strenghth. .Overall it feels solid. The picture of the bracket on the tile is just so you get an idea of how it bent back around with a screw attaching the end back to itself for strength . I will probably buy a new $30 glove box door of Ebay rather than trying to repair the current door.
awesome idea! I'm in the process of replacing and fabbing up my dash and wanted to reinforce mine as well. great job!

·
Registered
27,097 Posts
Went to fill up my W8 with premium gas - NO GAS AVAILABLE IN PARTS OF PHOENIX!!!!

Some gas stations are on a daily allotment of gas. When did the embargo happen?
No issues here, but I expect we have plenty of other suppliers. $2:25 at Costco a few days ago.

·
Registered
27,097 Posts
Finally started working on the wagon again. I decided 100 was warm enough to stop the joints from creaking and went out to the garage around 4pm. I needed to swap the upper fender wiring harness from the 1.8T into my car. The V6 harness does not allow the electric fan to run and the a/c is marginal unless you are on the highway and temps are below 90 (maybe next October for us). This harness runs from under the dash panel, through the fender top and then to all of the 6-8 connectors next to the p/s steering reservoir and down to the fan controller under the front frame rail and fan coolant temp sensor in the lower rad hose. Pita, which is why I waited 4 years to swap it out (plus I can get lazy). The initial though was that I could add the V6 after run coolant pump, but that would not be a simple task for me.

Started with jacking the front and pulling the LF tire. Then pulled the fender liner. Found the washer fluid leaking at the pump, so pulled the washer tank to clean and check. I had to put the car into service position to remove the V6 fan control module. The donor car had some poor electrical connections, repairs and damage for the wires running from the connectors to the sensors and fans, so I kept the original V6 connectors and wiring when I did the swap. Now that I am installing the 1.8T harness, several of the connectors are different and I had a few splices to make too. Got the splices mostly done and the old harness out from the engine. The mosquitoes started buzzing just before sunset, so I headed in. Next will be the fun of hanging upside down in the driver's seat swapping all of the under dash connections, then back under the hood to hook it all up and test it.

I also have to look at running power to the sunroof as the donor did not have one and I swapped the full dash harness (with fuse box), so there is no fuse or wires in the slot for the sunroof. Never missed it, but it would be easier to sell with it working.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
No issues here, but I expect we have plenty of other suppliers. $2:25 at Costco a few days ago.
$2.25 - I'd kill for that. We're at about $2.60ish for the cheap stuff. Premium is still $3.10 and above. :thumbdown

·
Registered
27,097 Posts
$2.25 - I'd kill for that. We're at about $2.60ish for the cheap stuff. Premium is still $3.10 and above. :thumbdown
The local Quicktrip is a little higher, so about $2:30 and 93 is $2.79. Not a huge difference and not as bad as California, where it was $4+ for 87.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
The local Quicktrip is a little higher, so about $2:30 and 93 is $2.79. Not a huge difference and not as bad as California, where it was $4+ for 87.
True that. I was over in Burbank a few weeks ago. I paid around $4.20/gal for 87. I should stop my complaining about prices here in Phoenix.

·
Registered
27,097 Posts
True that. I was over in Burbank a few weeks ago. I paid around $4.20/gal for 87. I should stop my complaining about prices here in Phoenix.
This was in Death Valley in May:
IMG_0590.jpg

·
Registered
2004 Passat GLS 1.8T 4Mo 5M Wagon!
29 Posts
I'm slowly but gradually working on several of the projects that I have started on The Unicorn. A few weeks ago I was doing my usual Craigslist browse when I happened upon a local guy selling his 19x9 set of RS6 reps with really decent Bridgestones for the "even though they're not 100% my favorite wheels but would look good and I would be an idiot for passing on them" price of $200... ? So, I picked them up and just kinda set them aside for the time being. After all, my list of projects I have now started on the car but can't seem to knock out for one reason or another has now grown to an almost overwhelming state. Anyway, since I wasn't completely in love with the wheels and figured I could use some cash to help finish some of the other stuff, I put them on Craigslist a few days ago. Wouldn't you know it? Some dude with a new-to-him B6 A4 Avant came and snapped the wheels and tires up earlier today and I managed to turn a decent profit!

Besides, ever since I saw this B5.5 wagon with color-matched MAE Crown Jewels I have been obsessed. ?

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
VW should be ashamed to sell such a well built car with such a flimsy glove box. I was shocked at how thin and cheap the plastic used for mounting the glove box was. I understand the reason VW moved the owners manual storage to under the steering wheel was because of this failure . I love the car but couldn't see putting a new dash in a 15 year old car.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
VW should be ashamed to sell such a well built car with such a flimsy glove box. I was shocked at how thin and cheap the plastic used for mounting the glove box was. I understand the reason VW moved the owners manual storage to under the steering wheel was because of this failure . I love the car but couldn't see putting a new dash in a 15 year old car.
VW has never been shocked at going cheap. In fact, they’re proud of it. This was their claim to fame - a people’s car. If you’re tired of that, move up to a late-model-run Mercedes (not C-class or smaller); they fix most design problems by the time the model hits end of life.

·
Registered
27,097 Posts
8541 - 8560 of 9214 Posts