Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
BTW, not my car, but "twowagens" 04 1.8T Passat wagon (now his son's). I spent the nice warm weekend (1st 100 degree day this year on Sunday) in his garage instructing, directing, and helping on multiple repairs. Kevin and his 2 sons did most of the actual work.

Large water leak in the car along with sagging headliner. Checked all drains, including running trimmer line down each one. Dropped the back half of the headliner and found the repair shop that cut back the blown side head airbag did not plug the drain tube back in. Also checked the fresh air vent seal.

Traced a vacuum leak to a cracked PCV rubber T, the plastic tube shattered once touched, replaced all.

Replaced the coolant return line from the turbo, replaced the rubber elbow on the SAIP system that cracked when touched.

They finished up the last repair, the SAIP flex hose replacement today when the part arrived.

Couldn’t have done all of this work without your help, Paul!
Car is running nicely, and now our son Alan has headlights that actually are useful!
Kevin

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's a two-sided tape or glue like substance. Try using dental floss to cut through the adhesive. Worst case if there are clips you will find them but I think it is just taped on. Once you get a foot or so of trim off the door you can carefully lift/pry the rest of it off.

Had to replace one on our 2004 wagon. Now our son’s car. It was an adhesive, possibly 3M tape.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Well, it's not what I have done to my Passat today, but rather what happened. I parked it, and went inside for the evening, having not so great a day already, when my neighbor called me. Said he was sorry, but nothing I could do about it. His trailer with 3 ton of hay rolled into the back of my car, crushing the deck lid.

View attachment 104157

At least it didn't hit the lights I guess. Bumper got squished, and this is about as bad as it is.

View attachment 104158

I have another deck lid that I was prepping for paint so I guess now I have to hit the gas on that now. So I'll do a hood, deck, and roof.
Ouch!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Drove on a flat tire today. (n)
On the way home from work about 2 miles away from the homestead, I hit piece of flying debris with the left front tire. I knew right away it wasn't good.
I sure in hell wasn't going to ditch into the right lane, especially here in Phoenix with all these nut jobs driving around.
I took the chance and drove it the rest of the way, slooowly. Made it home without doing any damage to the wheel. So I guess there's that.
Not a good time for me to be buying new tires. All 4 tires are pretty much end of life so it's going to be a new set all around.
What will you be going with for tires?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Damned dashboard cracked on me today. Jacking up the pass. side to check suspension must have been too much stress on the old girl! View attachment 104929 View attachment 104930
I guess now I get to find out how much of a pita it will be to remove. Bad timing - it's finally getting cold out.
Same crack on one of our Passats. It just happened one day, no apparent reason.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Saturday: Helped clip the sunroof drains, check the sunroof, check the door drains, remove and re-seal the cabin filter housing, remove the battery and remove the remaining drain plugs and cleaned everything along the way. Oh yeah, Kevin (the owner) did some work too, probably more than half. I am sore today as expected.
Yeah, Paul, I forgot how heavy that battery is!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
About 4 months ago I bought brand new Cover Craft car cover for the Pacific Blue W8. Spent in excess of $500 for the cover as it was specifically rated for direct sunlight and high UV protection. What a joke.
This is what it looked like when I pulled the cover off this morning. The car cover is almost completely disintegrated and left this very fine light baby powder like dust all over the vehicle.
It actually looks much worse in person as the picture shows a lot of reflections.
After the sun goes down I'll go wash the car and see how much damage to the paint there is.
I'm guessing a color correction will be in order.
Just goes to show that nothing survives the sun out here in the desert. What a waste of my money. Fortunately, my days of apartment living are now over.
Inside storage from now on.
View attachment 106536 View attachment 106537
Ouch!! That’s crazy! Hopefully most of it will wash off….

·
Registered
130 Posts
🤮 I don't know why, but after owning a Passat with the grey interior, I would not want one again. It might be that the dirty soft-touch color reminds me of work and I'm still having nightmares about that. With the soft-touch cleaned off, the lighter color is much better looking to me.

I've already been shot down for upgrading the Tiguan interior with this fabric:

That might be a little too much!😀

·
Registered
130 Posts
Not quite old, but really tired. With one car and only 15K on it, I will never need it for me. The Golf went from 64K to 92K in a year with my son. The Passat is a 2nd car that does not get driven often by my other son. They share the newer X3 and alternate days in the office with work from home.

Our Grauwagen has come in handy the last three and half months……🧐
He still drives pretty well…….

·
Registered
130 Posts
Less "What did you do to your Passat", more "what did someone do to your Passat". This happened Friday morning. Some !?!$%%!!head blew thru a red light. Wife was driving. Wife is.... rather sore, but okay. The car, though.....
RIP, Brick (July 2001 - 19August 2022)

View attachment 106929

View attachment 106927
:(
Damn that sucks but I'm sure glad the back of the car was hit and not further forward.
Hope your wife is all right. And no hidden injuries.
The wagon looks like it did it’s job. Was a nice car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts