Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 435 Posts

·
Registered
29,152 Posts
Ignored it while I have it apart in the garage for yet another day. I took the intake off 2 weeks ago to fix a coolant leak from a $2 O-ring. Got tired of working on it and let it sit while I worked on other cars. Seals are fixed, I just need to bolt down the intake, put the throttle body back on and clean the suction jet. I guess Sunday will be the day as my wife gets home Tuesday and will want her car back.

I've been really lazy...

·
Registered
29,152 Posts
Put my car back together today and cleaned the MAF too. Then it would not start!
Closed the hood and was ready to give up for the day. Decided to try once more and it started right up and runs fine.

Then it started pissing coolant all over the place while I dropped it off the stands. I pulled it out and parked it as I had another car arrive for a brake inspection. I popped the hood to loosen the coolant tank cap and found I did not tighten it. I had left it loose to top off the coolant, then got distracted when it would not start!

I'll double check Monday, but I am sure that was the leak.

I forgot, I also sent my B5.5 wagon tails out to be tinted. Should have them back later this week. Then I have to have some minor bumper paint repairs before I re-wire the car and install them.

·
Registered
29,152 Posts
I changed the oil in my wife's Passat yesterday. 8 years old and only 61K miles.
My wife's Golf is 5.5 years old and just hit 34K..Should last a bit longer at this rate. She drove less than 3K in the last year. "Unemployment, good for the miles, bad for the bank account."

·
Registered
29,152 Posts
Hauled 115 bags of mulch from Home Depot. Made 4 trips, I can easily load 30 bags and not be above the top of the front seats.

One day soon, I will clean all of the spilled mulch out from the car, it is a mess.

·
Registered
29,152 Posts
Put the H+R Race springs from the back on the front. A bit of noise and a bit too low.

Need to crank the coilover sleeves up 1/2" and get another set of rear spring upper seats cut to fit the front to fix the noise.

·
Registered
29,152 Posts
Buffed the paint on repairs to some large scratches in the side, left by the previous owner.

This after having done the timing belt/water pump job (and plugs, wires, gaskets, etc.) after having bought the Y2K wagon a month ago. I guess I got lucky with the timing belt job -- no bent valves in the 300 miles driven since the job. PZ, I certainly feel for you though...I know darned well I could have had the same problems if the cogs or stars hadn't been aligned right during my first dive under a VW hood. Good to hear that you're back up and running (right?).
It was not my car, but another poster who did not have luck changing his timing belt. I was paid for the repairs as he did not want to attempt them.

I did my car almost 4 years ago when a replacement idler roller destroyed the timing belt and bent 21 valves. It's far easier the 2nd and 3rd time around (this was my 3rd rebuild).

·
Registered
29,152 Posts
The front is in the service position, but pushed back close to the mounts while I pulled the heads.

·
Registered
29,152 Posts
Let my son take it back to Austin while I do a brake job on his Legacy. I hope it returns in good shape.

·
Registered
29,152 Posts
Finally worked on my own car for a change. It was feeling neglected. Oil change, cabin filter, air filter, 1 new fender liner, new belly pan hardware, checked everything under the hood and under the engine. Rotated the tires. Swapped the front springs back to the rear (where they belong) and put the correct front springs back on (H+R Race from an A6Q). Adjusted the coil-over sleeves to compensate. Gets dropped off for an alignment and tire balance on Thursday. Even washed it today.

·
Registered
29,152 Posts
Got my 98 1.8t repainted this week.

Here is the finished product (cell phone camera doesn't really do it justice)

https://picasaweb.google.com/matt.h...authkey=Gv1sRgCIOw8YeTxfCh9wE&feat=directlink

Despite the internet reputation, Maaco at Arden (Sacramento, Ca) did a nice job on this car - it just did not make sense to spend the money on a really good paint job for a 13 year old car - no matter how much I like it, it's just plain not worth enough to sink $1-2k into the paint.

For reference, here are the before pictures. I did the sanding prep myself, so the total cost of this job was a little over $400.
https://picasaweb.google.com/matt.h...authkey=Gv1sRgCMbNmubDqPW3nAE&feat=directlink
Looks good, now just use some "Back to Black" on the lower molding.

·
Registered
29,152 Posts
I love how easy the oil is to change in this car. No ramps even. I can reach the drain plug and filter just by lying on the floor under it. 5.7 Qts of Mobile1 0W-40 synthetic and a Wix premium filter.

Rob
The ATQ takes 6.5-6.75 liters depending on how big of a filter you run. I guess you are missing the belly pan or have very long arms to remove it on the ground.

·
Registered
29,152 Posts
There were a few factors that went into the price. The main one being that I got one of the low-price options, their "Presidential" paint option, which is a single stage enamel with no clear coat. It is really shiny right now, and I hope it holds up. The color matches very well with the original paint, and the metallic effect looks great in the sun. I was actually really surprised at how it looked when I picked it up.

They were running a sale, so the paint was $250, and the "value prep" was $150, which only covers a "light machine sand" and masking. Since I did the heavy duty sanding myself, they did not warranty the job. It would have been another $300+ for them to do the prep necessary for a warranty, with the way my clear coat was initially peeling off. So, without a warranty, the extra cost of a base and clear coat option was not justified.

There are some small issues with some areas of the paint, but for the cost, I'm really happy with how it came out.

I'll try to remember to post an update if any significant issues come up with the paint.
I had an Earl Shieb paint job on my 87 Taurus wagon back in the mid 90's. I got the premium job for about $400 and it looked great. It also held up well as we kept the car for another 7 years afterwards.

·
Registered
29,152 Posts
Where does that info come from? The manual says 5.7 qts (5 lts) and when it was in the level on the dipstick was right in the middle of the indicator range. The filter is a standard size one--maybe 1/2 qt total volume.

Rob
From the dozen oil changes I have done on mine. 6.5 on a smaller filter and 6.75 on the larger. It ends up at the top of the indicator level. Even Firestone specs had 6.5L in the computer the one time I let them change the oil. I'd look in my manual, but I have an aversion to them :)

·
Registered
29,152 Posts
I have not had caps on my headlights since I installed the Hella HID's 2 years ago. They did not have the caps and I have not had any moisture problems :confused:

·
Registered
29,152 Posts
If it was raining, the water can actually seep through the lens if there are microscopic cracks in the plastic. I have Laminex headlight covers, maybe that helps mine.

·
Registered
29,152 Posts
Put it in the garage when we had an unexpected hail storm. Tornado sirens were also going off, but nothing spotted. It's getting worse as it moves East, so be careful.

·
Registered
29,152 Posts
Replaced the driver's side mirror I broke when I dropped a tree on the car 2 weeks ago. Now I need to clean up the scrapes from the roof, door and hood. Was tempted to leave it out in the hail storm last night to get a new paint job.

·
Registered
29,152 Posts
Hey guys,
Long story short husband back my wagon into telephone pole wire

Finally fixed her...lookin beautiful...I work for a body shop in central jersey anyone ever need work done let me know...:wrench:
Looks good. I need some similar work, my son backed into the concrete base of a light pole. A small dent and lot's of scratches.

·
Registered
29,152 Posts
Replaced my roof rail that broke when I dropped a tree on the car (sideswiped it really). Found the roof to be slightly dented at the front mount, so it's not quite as good as new, but good enough. Did a quick drive through wash, will need to clay bar to get what's left of the back stuck in the paint.

1 - 20 of 435 Posts