Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just wondering what kind of schools and jobs the people around here have. I'm a high-schooler too, and maybe if you like your college enough, you could recommend it to me too!!!

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
Williams College
Class of 2001
previous job - Admissions Officer @williams
current job - Product manger @medical tech company
future job - grad student @b-school and ed-school.

I loved my school, so if you're looking for a small school with a lot of faculty attention and world class professors, let me know.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I went to Junior College for 2 years, then to USF (University of South Florida) in Tampa. Majored in Political Science and Environmental Science. Now I have a job totally unrelated. Go figure.

Advice: Go far away from home. Go to a big school and study something that interests you. Live on campus for the first year. Play IM sports. Meet chicks. I miss school so much. :(

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
currently
Montgomery College (2yr community)

Major: Mechanical Engineering
Transfering to UMCP

i love my school, and statistically speaking, those who transfer from MC to UMCP, do better in the engineering school than those who have gone to UMCP all four years.

advice: dont downplay community colleges.

this is a great thread, would be a lot of help to all of us still in school.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Clarkson University
Class of 1998
BS in Chemical Engineering
Current Job - IT Consulting for Accenture (majoring in PeopleSoft ERP/System Architecture)

Um, I didn't really enjoy that place, at all.

·
Registered
11,542 Posts
CSU SB - San Bernardino
Class of 99
Got a BSc. in Biz Admin - Computer Info Systems
-----
Then I got real and...
Got a A+, Network+, Server+, CCNA, CCNP, MCP/MCSE 2000, LPI, SCNA

I was a Sys Admin, then a Net Admin again, then a Technical Trainer/Instructor then Net Engineer.
I'm now the Program Director, LaunchpadIT at Hardcore Techies.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Mount Union College 1998
BS-Business Admin./BA Communications

Worked in the automotive industry for about 4 years out of school (Didn't take one class inregards to automotive in college)

Now I manage a national BMX team.

College was a trip. I honestly learned more outside of the classroom than I did in. Also made some of the best friends of my life.

Goodtimes.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
'99 from Cal State University at Sacramento with a BA in Broadcast Communications
'00 from American River College with a AA in Computer Information Systems.
'03 from Cal State University at Sacramento with a Masters in Business Administration (MBA)
Working on my Real Estate License next.

Worked as a TV news production Assistant then went on to work as a Software Programmer.

Consiering the idea of going for my PhD in Business so that I can teach at a University and become tenure one day.

I'd recommend broadening your scope of study so you won't feel stuck in one area of discipline.

·
Registered
411 Posts
University at Buffalo
aka State University of New York at Buffalo
Class of 2003
BS Business Administration, Concentration in Management Information Systems
Currently: Unemployed, but that might change this week.

·
Registered
428 Posts
baccalaureate: Carnegie Mellon Univ., Carnegie Institute of Technology- B.S. in Electrical and Computer Engineering, 2000. Did research in manufacturing operations in what's now the Institute for Complex Engineered Systems at CMU. Started in the U.S. Navy ROTC program, but dropped out of ROTC after the first year (and paid back all tuition).

current: Master of Business Administration, University of Indianapolis. I attend course meetings at night and am a manufacturing worker in the pharmaceutical industry during the day. In the past, I've worked in manufacturing related positions in the automotive, industrial chemicals, and metals industries.

future: Since making burgers at a quick-serve restaurant is now considered a manufacturing position, perhaps that will be my next career choice. To get myself prepared, I'm thinking of enrolling in Kettering University's (Flint, Michigan) manufacturing operations M.S. program.

Kiyoshi, hockey345, rollininstyle- best wishes in your decisions. Just be sure to look past schools' clever marketing. Also, a college/university degree of any kind is neither necessary nor sufficient for success, financial or otherwise.

·
Super Moderator
14,051 Posts
I have 3 degrees:

- 1993 Associate of Science from the Community College of the Air Force in Fire Science
- 1999 Associate of Science from the Community College of the Air Force in Instructor of Technology and Military Science
- 2000 Bachelor of Science from University of Maryland University College in Business & Management with an Accounting Minor - graduated Magna Cum Laude

- Now working on an MBA with Touro University International

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, that's a lot of colleges :weirdo: I also thought that this thread may fade off the front page and never be seen of again :lol:

Funniest thing so far is:
Majored in Political Science and Environmental Science. Now I have a job totally unrelated. Go figure
Well I'm sacrificing a "fun in the sun" spring break in order to go see colleges in New England. I'm not completely in-the-know of what colleges we're going to go to, but I know we'll be going to Harvard, MIT, University of New York in Manhattan, maybe Penn State, and I'm sure plenty more. I also just got a letter from Worster Institute of Technology, which seems to be MIT's little brother that's easier to get into (70% acceptance :weirdo:) but they said in the letter that you can get $17,000 ANNUAL SCHOLARSHIP for either being a National Merit Finalist (something like that) or by being 1st or 2nd in class. Right now I'm 1st in my class and I'm sure if I work hard enough I can stay up there....(this is through 3 semesters, 5 to go)

Aren't there any Illinois-er's around here that can vouch how good of a school U of I at Champagne-Urbana is? Cuz it's a cheap, public, in-state school that's MUCH better than when my parents went there 20 years ago. I think it's only about $7,000 a year to go there.....

One last note: The fields I'm thining of going in (with all my geekyness) are

Computer Programming
Computer Science
Computer Engineering
Electrical Engineering
Physics (It's just so cool!)

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
University of Maryland College Park Class of 1991 degree in Political Science (at MD they call it Government and Politics)

-Immediately out of College got a job working for a Senator on Capitol Hill
-Quit after a couple of years to make money (senate staffers make nothing) to go to law school, managing camera stores
-Decided not to go to law school and worked in sales for 3 years
-Moved to California, took a job as a programmer in a start up
-Promoted to Vice President a couple of years ago, and I am also working with another startup.

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
Well I'm sacrificing a "fun in the sun" spring break in order to go see colleges in New England. I'm not completely in-the-know of what colleges we're going to go to, but I know we'll be going to Harvard, MIT, University of New York in Manhattan, maybe Penn State, and I'm sure plenty more. I also just got a letter from Worster Institute of Technology, which seems to be MIT's little brother that's easier to get into (70% acceptance ) but they said in the letter that you can get $17,000 ANNUAL SCHOLARSHIP for either being a National Merit Finalist (something like that) or by being 1st or 2nd in class. Right now I'm 1st in my class and I'm sure if I work hard enough I can stay up there....(this is through 3 semesters, 5 to go)

If you decide to come out to Williams to visit, let me know. :)

1 - 20 of 155 Posts
About this Discussion
154 Replies
120 Participants
JayTheSnork
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing