Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took delivery of our new 2003 GLX. It had between 40 and 45 PSI in the tires. I checked the sticker on the fuel door but it seems to me to be impractical to change the tire pressures for different loads and top speeds. I set them to 35 PSI all around as a compromise.
If you have the stock 205/55 R 16 tires what pressures do you run?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Re: What Cold Tire Pressures Do You Run? (adamsocb)

36 front, 35 rear (stock 15" steelies).

The 32 suggestion is crazy. I get no squealing at ~35, and the road feels better (not as rough).

·
Registered
577 Posts

38f/44r

·
Registered
4,998 Posts

I run 37

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
Re: What Cold Tire Pressures Do You Run? (B5sport)

34-35 all around.

Using the stock reommendations, I have gotten very uneven tire wear after about 15-20k miles on stock Michelins (showing underinflation).

·
Registered
2,723 Posts

Jeez, everyone seems to be filling their tires pretty high!

I just follow the pressures listed on the fuel door and filled up somewhere in between full load and half load specs (30 psi front and 29 psi rear).
I don't follow the psi listed for speeds over 100 mph, since I rarely drive faster than that in the winter time. Also I thought that you should have your tires at a slightly lower psi in winter so that you get better tire contact with the road for better traction.

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
Re: What Cold Tire Pressures Do You Run? (aowhaus)

Alan, like I mentioned in my post, the outer portions of my Michelins are wearing about 50% quicker than the inners, and that's using the VW recommendations. I filled them up to about 34 lbs all around, and haven't noticed any decrease in traction.
HTH

EDIT: by "outers," I mean both edges (inside and outside, while the center is still deep)

<![CDATA[Alan, like I mentioned in my post, the outer portions of my Michelins are wearing about 50% quicker than the inners, and that's using the VW recommendations. I filled them up to about 34 lbs all around, and haven't noticed any decrease in traction.
HTH

EDIT: by "outers," I mean both edges (inside and outside, while the center is still deep)

[Modified by ashman78, 3:39 PM 11/5/2002]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts