Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know everybody loves there own but I want to hear from those with 1.8t wagons.

I have to do the timing belt kit from ecs first- but this summer... vrrummm.

soon to mine:
TT dv
new air filter OEM
s2000 stubby
40k tune kit from ecs

yeah I am still on the stock wheels and springs...I am trying to hold out as long as I can.

-Rock

·
Registered
196 Posts
What year? How is your suspension? How long CAN you hold out?
If it were me, I'd do your suspension first, then chip.
You will feel a difference in ride quality, for sure...especially once you
get the vrrummm.... :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2000---suspension still feels good- OEM stuff. I know I will not be able to hold out long so please don't tempt me.

she is my daily commuter and if I do go springs then it would mean wheels/tires (just got new dunlops on the oem 15's) and such. ummmm I will be living in my shed. A chip is more $ conscious. especially with the dealer doing the ecs timing kit...ouch.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yeah...I see. What chips are you thinking?
If $$ is an issue, I'd suggest getting in contact
with Kelly at Wett.. She's awesome, and will be fair with
pricing.

Otherwise, my buddy has a GIAC and raves about it.
But definatley more$$$.... :(

·
Registered
897 Posts
i put my suspention on first. nothing like a new suspention and new wheels its like a whole new car.when i got the chip,and is was blownaway.i have an APR chip and love it ,but will probably replace it with GAIC .for turbo upgrade reasons.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok I'll bite. what suspension/springs?...mine sits kind of high which is annoying after seeing all the dropped wagons. Consider I am in pa. Big bumps.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I've got the APR 93 octane chip in my 2000 wagon. No complaints at all. It was very peaky until i put the new TT DV in it. honestly, it's so smooth, it can sometimes be hard to tell the diff until you really nail it, then the 15" yoko's just can't hold on :D :thumbup:

btw, I'm still thinking of swapping my ecu out if you are interested? Your ECU +$400 for my APR chipped ECU. stock mode, code reset and the 93 octane mode.

I finally drove a TDI wagon. Silverstone Gray, anthracite leather, gls trim. Nice ride, 38mpg, good power, great torque. It just sucks it's only available with the tip. It would rock with a 5 speed stick and a chip. I'm trying to find one with cloth or I would have jumped on the one I drove Friday. Can't swing 28K and change plus T&T right now and it's kinda hard when i can get a 1.8t 5 spd with the leather for 23 and 0.9%

·
Registered
897 Posts
no i will not mater .if you car DBW than yes it will get programed into the cruise control.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Yes you switch programs and clear fault codes with the cruise control switch. Mine is a 5 speed.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
jeffsu350 said:
HeidelbergJohn4.0 said:
Yes you switch programs and clear fault codes with the cruise control switch. Mine is a 5 speed.
what chip does that, and what is the exact procedure
APR, either using their chip with EMCS, or via DPP, can be controlled via the cruise control switch.

Here are the exact instructions.

http://www.goapr.com/VW/support/emcs_instructions.html

GIAC does switching via a small remote.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I was in your position a couple of months ago, B5.5 variant 5 speed. I agree with the previous posts, starting with suspension leads to more driving satisfaction than the chip. I dropped her with neuspeed sports via s-klass group buy, I kept the stock shocks to keep it cheap. I know I'll have to change them sooner than later, but ride feels nice "stock" until you push around corners. Then I swapped the rims for 17 avus s4 and she got alot stickier, ride suffered a little, but worth it. Just got 91 octane APR with stock mode via direct port programing "DPP", to "hide" the chip from the dealer to maintain warranty... still justifying the $600 to the wifey. If warranty is not an issue for you, I would go with the neuspeed p-chip or wett both around $300. My wife has a B5 tip sedan, which I chipped with p-chip, feels comparable to APR... until you really stomp on it. For the way I drive I would have been happy with p-chip for the price but wanted to keep warranty. The other option to keep warranty is to keep a spare chip, but I like the convenience of switching to stock without much work. This is just my experience, I would recommend "searching" this forum for different points of view, (CB5 rocks) then you can make an informed decision based on your priorities :wink:

-K

1 - 19 of 19 Posts