Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I get back to my baby, I have a check list of stuff to do, and if I can find a good shop in boston I'm going to paint my lowers... With that said what can I do the day before they go to the shop to "prep" them? Sand (what grit) liquer (is there a process)? Any help would be great to save me some $$! :D I want it done right the first time!
Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Clean them with some lacquer thinner really well. This will remove any residue that could be on them. Hopefully they will sand them and do the rest. I would make sure you find a shop that has done this before. I took a chance and the job is just okay. Wish I waited and went to someone experienced.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How would I put laquer on them? Rub on with a towel soaked in it or pour it on then rub off? Can you soak it in laquer or will it deteriorate the plastic?

mbogosia: :thumbup: PICS!PICS!

·
Registered
6,875 Posts
I would think that if they did a crappy job, and then found out that you had prepped in some way, they could drop the liability onto you, and not on them. Ive been wanting to get my lowers painted, but have heard horror stories about them not coming out right.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I would Get a gallon from your local Sherwin Williams store. Should be open from 12-4 today. Just put a small amount on a rag and wipe away. You don't need to soak the rag. If you leave the rag out in the hot sun it can cause a fire. Be careful. Pics can be seen under my profile in the central section.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OMG Your car is awesome!! I love white B5's with the lowers painted! :bow:
You painted them yourself? Looks good to me!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is there anything I should be aware of when sanding them(can i do too much)? Is there a time limit that I should stick with on each grit? I know they sound stupid, but please bare with. :roll:
Ryan

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Ryan when you are sanding you can determine when it time to move on when the grit you are using does not have an effect on the surface any more. Meaning if you are using 220 grit when the surface is not getting any smoother with the grit you are using.

I would not use any sand paper coarser than 220 grit anything rougher that that will do mort damage than good I suggest that you be very careful when seeking any advice on this forum because it is easy to be misledl.

Since it is obvious that your autobody knowledge is minimal don't do anything to the car let the professional prep the surface.

One thing the you can do to prep for the paint work is make sure that there is not protectant on the tires for a couple of weeks so it does not contaminate the lowers and that you don't put any protectant on the lowers themselves.

Before you use something harsh like laquer I suggest that you use a moderate powered degreaser to clean the lowers better safe than sorry.

I hope that this put things in perspective for you. It may not make any sense to do anything to the lowers if you have not consulted with the auto body guy about what needs to be done and how you want them done.

Like the old adage goes measure twice and cut once. :thumbup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.