Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
8,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have my puppy alm and with new TRE's and well...the wheel is off-center..not that I really think about it. It always has been, what causes this and what is the fix if anything??
TIA

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
chances are they did the toe-in portion of your alignment with your steering wheel slightly off center. if so, you probably want to go back and make them fix it right.

how far off is it?

8,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they did the toe-in portion of your alignment with your steering wheel slightly off center. go back and make them fix it right.
So it really couldn't be anything else? Because of the paper work they gave me, it even states can be an iusse and should have it checked out??

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
it could be that the steering wheel was installed off-center... so the steering rack isn't centered when the steering wheel is centered. but that's not very likely.

also, it could be an issue with camber & caster... too much variation in either of these between the right & left front wheels will create a slight amount of drag: causing you to have to point the wheels at an angle in order to go straight.

another possibility is your weight on the left side of the car is causing enough change in camber to cause the same issue as above. this may account for about a 1/4 or maybe a 1/2 degree of off-center, but if you are off by a degree or two then that's not it.

finally, you could have frame or suspension damage that has moved your suspension geometry "out of square".

...i'm still betting on their being lazy about holding the wheel straight.

can you post the before and after printout data? was it a four-wheel alignment rack, or just the front?

8,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it could be that the steering wheel was installed off-center... so the steering rack isn't centered when the steering wheel is centered. but that's not very likely.

also, it could be an issue with camber & caster... too much variation in either of these between the right & left front wheels will create a slight amount of drag: causing you to have to point the wheels at an angle in order to go straight.

another possibility is your weight on the left side of the car is causing enough change in camber to cause the same issue as above. this may account for about a 1/4 or maybe a 1/2 degree of off-center, but if you are off by a degree or two then that's not it.

finally, you could have frame or suspension damage that has moved your suspension geometry "out of square".

...i'm still betting on their being lazy about holding the wheel straight.

can you post the before and after printout data? was it a four-wheel alignment rack, or just the front?
Well the before is shot for I had new TREs but I do have the print out of the alignment and I just had the Front done. But the only thing I can think of is that maybe the motor mounts could have cause this?? But the back was one the ground the whole time and did one at a time and bolted it up to the old holes

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
^^i don't know either: I just went with the flow...

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
Ah, I get it. You got your "puppy" aligned. LOL!!!

I agree with Pete, they should be able to center your steering wheel.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Ask them if you can sit in the seat and hold the wheel straight... that will also take care of any toe changes that are due to the added off-center weight.

8,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ask them if you can sit in the seat and hold the wheel straight... that will also take care of any toe changes that are due to the added off-center weight.
LOL...R you saying I fat???? I will have to ask...I really wanted to put anti-sieze on the TRE too but didn't.:banghead: :banghead:

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
no, you're not fat... really. :hmmm: :lol:

Seriously, even a 150lb driver adds about 10% more weight to the driver's front wheel. 15 to 20 people weigh as much as the whole car.

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,698 Posts
When Sears did my alignement the first thing they did was block the steering wheel so that it was straight before they start fooling around with the suspension.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I did my TRE's one at a time. The wheel was centered to start with. After installing the first one, I drove the car to check the steering wheel aim. It was off a little so I adjusted the new TRE until it was aimed straight. At that point, I figured I had the new TRE very close. Same process was used for the second TRE.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It's a relatively simple fix - you need to remove the airbag though and get a special 12mm 12 point triple square tool to remove the wheel. (at least on the a4). Pop off the airbag (t-25 needed for this), remove the bolt holding the wheel on, lift the wheel off rotate ever so slightly and put everything back. This is assuming that all the suspension bits are in order and the wheels are turned perfectly straight ahead.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts