Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What brand of oil filter to you all use out there? I've been using bosch oil filters since I bought my car, and it seems to be a descent, quality filter. Anyone have a better recomendation?

·
Registered
9,154 Posts

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
k&n
since we're on the subject of oil filters, wasn't it recommended to fill the oil filter before putting it on the car?
I imagine this is for the oil pump, or for the first start after changing the oil.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I use Wix #51333 (Big Kahuna). It's over sized and adds extra oil capacity.

B5V6,
The oil pump isn't affected because it gets it's oil straight from the sump. What your really helping by pre-filling the filter is shortening the time that the bearings won't have oil supply (time for the filter to fill and supply oil pressure). The 1.8T filter can only be filled about 3/4 full because of the angle of the filter when installed. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
has anyone tried the napa 1333 on a v6

any problems with space?

who much did it cost

did you just pick it up at the store or did you have to order it

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Just ordered 4 of the 1333's from Napa online.
Came to $53.83 w/ tax and shipping. We don't have many Napas in Houston, so getting it shipped was easier.

Went by the local O'Rielly and they had none in Houston. They suck anyway. At least Autozone carries the Mobil 1 0w-40.

Was funny, when I went to Autozone, I picked up a Fram oil filter and 4 quarts of dino 10w-40 for my fiancee's Integra. It's been ages since I last bought dino oil.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I use the vw oem oil filter
where can i find a better oil filter, and better brand??

we have Autozone here in Monterrey and i live 2 hours from Laredo/Mcallen TX and they have Pep Boys/NAPA/AUTOZONE

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
The general consensus around here regarding Fram is ... junk :thumbdow: . You'll be much better off with M1, K&N, or better yet PureOne PL30001. The Big Kahuna Napa 1333 or Wix 51333 are much larger and will significantly increase the oil sump capacity :thumbup: .

·
Registered
11,542 Posts
I'm running K&N.

Bigger oil filter means more oil in circulation (in the system). More oil in the system means more medium to suspend/carry impurities and buildup. Just like how a smoker in a small room stinks up the air but hardly affects a large hall.

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
S_Klass said:
I'm running K&N.

Bigger oil filter means more oil in circulation (in the system). More oil in the system means more medium to suspend/carry impurities and buildup. Just like how a smoker in a small room stinks up the air but hardly affects a large hall.
More importantly, the big kahuna increases the oil sump capacity to an additional 1 qtz. For the 1.8T engine with the already small sump ... this is a good thing :thumbup: .

Quoting from our resident lube expert:
atomicalex said:
The increased oil volume is the big deal. Each time the molecule sees heat, it gets beat on. More oil = more molecules = fewer times each molecule gets beat on.

·
Registered
11,542 Posts
vuvision said:
Quoting from our resident lube expert:
atomicalex said:
The increased oil volume is the big deal. Each time the molecule sees heat, it gets beat on. More oil = more molecules = fewer times each molecule gets beat on.
Hey isn't that what i just wrote... just in a more scientific AA-sorta way?? :p

All joking aside. The turbo needs all the protection it can get. Have you see those badboys glowing cherry red?

It's a sight you won't soon forget!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
17 Participants
99blackmagic
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing