Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to take a shot at replacing my pads & rotors. I don't know anything about this. I've read a bunch of threads, and see references to slotted, drilled, coated, etc. I looked on-line and see a range of options, i.e., EBC premium, EBC sport, EBC Ultimax (for one brand).

I've got a 2000 Passat GLX w/ 4 Motion. About 90,000 miles. It's a weekend car, sitting most of the week in a covered, but open garage. Probably and equal divide of city and highway driving. I don't drive very aggresively.

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,401 Posts
Last week I got EBC coated rotors and pads for $230 (both front and rear). I chose the coated rotors not to have the rusted edges over time that decreases the available surface for pads. I haven't put them yet but will do soon. EBC is supposed to be an acceptable brand but we'll see.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
You might consider checking the ImportRP thread here in the vendor section. They offer free shipping and a PassatWorld discount. I have Brembo slotted rotors all around and will switch back to plain faced rotors. I don't think there is any practical benefit based upon my experience.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Good time for the disc's ( rotors) conversion, if you can get the 312mm brake carriers of a v6 tdi, i paid £60 for them over here in England, then you just buy the 312mm disc's, no need to change or even take the caliper off, its plug and play,

ive had this conversion on my passat now for about 3 month's, and boy do they stop well

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
The V6 TDI wasn't available in North America. For the conversion to 312mm rotors he'll have to purchase the appropriate carriers.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
I will give another vote to ImportRP.com free shipping and a little discount for PW members. Solid rotors are all you need and give you great stopping power.
And you want Free shipping on rotors!
ATE, Meyle, Brembo rotors are very good. rear rotors around $22 ea and fronts around $50 ea. By the way ATE is the OE rotor and Pagid is the OE pad but dusty. Dusty usually means better stopping power, low dust still very good stopping. PBR Deluxe Ceramic pads are used by a lot of PW members.

I am running ATE rotors and PBR Deluxe pads. If you live where is cold most of the year I wouldn't go ceramic pads. Go with and OE style pad. when it's cold and wet the ceramic pads need some heat to work well in my experience. So, I tap my brakes in the cold rain during the winter before I need them.

2002 VOLKSWAGEN PASSAT Drums And Rotors Parts - Import Replacement Parts | 1350-5125.sophio.com

·
Registered
65 Posts
don't mean to thread jack but my last break job was done with some off brand breaks and boy do they need time to get you to come to a stop. I would also love some recommendations, maybe even some further insight into upgrading to bigger breaks or just getting better breaks. I do like to get my passat rolling and those off ramps seem to be getting smaller and smaller :lol:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've got EBC Ultimax USR rotors both front and rear, and EBC Ultimax pads both front and rear. I'm happy with that combo - the slotted rotors look cool too :cool:

There is slight brake squeal when coming to a stop sometimes, but it doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Meh; when my fronts are finally due for replacement (coming up on 150k, and I still have the original pads and rotors on the front!) I'll just go with White-Box rotors from Advance/AZ/OReillys/NAPA/whoever. White-box rotors are both nearly-ubiquitous these days (as in, the "name brand" rotors often come out of the same factory as white-box units) and much better than they used to be.

For pads, I'll probably go with PBR/Axxis Deluxe... unlike rotors, pads aren't quite so generic. You can do all sorts of crazy things with friction compounds and how they attach to the backing plate. (As opposed to the rotors, which are just machined cast iron; either you know how to do a smooth cast and accurate machining or you don't. No fancy chemistry or complex design work involved.)

·
I had a steering knuckle in my shed. Really!
4,164 Posts
I bought "white box" rear rotors for daughter #2's 98 wagon. One side was fine. But on the second side, whenever I bolted on the wheel, the brakes would start to bind.

Removed and checked my work a few times, and finally gave up and thought a quick test drive was in order--maybe all it needed was some spinning so things would settle into each other properly.

Well, that wheel was HOT after a short drive. Finally found the cause-- the rotor was too deep on the inboard side, so it was pressing into the caliper carrier. I noticed a nice groove on the rotor from it.

Reinstalled the old rotor; problem gone.

I returned the defective rotor and would have gotten a replacement, but they were out of stock. So I will just stick with the old rotor--it wasn't too thin or anything.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just ordered Bembro rotors and PBR/Axxis Deluxe Pads from Import RP. With the extra PassatWorld Discount, it came to about $253. As noted above, I could have gotten Bosch/Pagid from Autohausz for about $50 less.
The guy I spoke with at Import RP was very helpful.

Thanks again for all the advice.

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,401 Posts
I bought "white box" rear rotors for daughter #2's 98 wagon. One side was fine. But on the second side, whenever I bolted on the wheel, the brakes would start to bind.
I've bought front and rear rotors. The rear one came in EBC box but the front ones came literally in white box. I'm worried that they have not sent genuine EBC rotors.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts