Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I am driving at either low or high speeds, and especially slowly accelerating, my steering wheel and car feel very wobly and shaky. could this be the tie rods? or is it something different all together?

·
Registered
261 Posts
It could be but first have the balance checked on all 4 wheels. While the tires are off take a look and see if the rubber boot on the tie rod end is torn. If it is torn then the tie rod ends are toast, it just a matter of time(i.e. no grease and dust/dirt=wear).

·
Registered
177 Posts
What size wheels do you have? I know my car does that on bad roads, there is a lot of Tracker Trailers in my area, so the roads are all grooved pull up to and away from stop sign and lights where the weight of the truck has damaged the road. When my tierod ends went. I had a little road walk at high speeds, but not much, My car was more into whinning, and groaning when I would turn at low speeds. hope this helps. Good luck, that isn't cheap to fix!

·
Registered
25,996 Posts
They are easy to check. Besides the torn boots (they might last a year like that)
they can wear out even with good boots. Jack the front wheel off the ground and
shake at the 3 and 9'oclock positions. You will see the tie rod end move.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
PZ
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing