Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 Passat V6 Auto w- Trip.

I will be replacing the motor mounts on my car and wanted to know if I have to replace the 6 bolts (3 per side) that you need to remove to remove what I'm guessing is part of the sub frame to give clearance to remove the mount. I changed the mounts on my 01 and never replaced the 6 bolts but no longer have that car.

I have read here that yes they need to be changed because they are stretch bolts. I have also read here that they don't need changing.

I had a lot of different information that I put together to get the job done on the 01 but I believe I may have done something that wasn't right.

What is the correct way to change the motor mounts?

Thank you

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
The only V6 mounts that I've changed were on my 1996 A4, however I believe that the design is pretty much the same on the Passat (and I have also changed the 1.8T mounts on that one too). Those three bolts per side fasten the aluminum castings for the motor mounts, and I didn't change any of them, just used Loctite to ensure they stayed put. I have no doubt that the official manual says "always replace".

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Don't know about the V6, but on the 1.8t, the front bolts (two on each side) can be reused, while the longer rear bolts (one on each side) cannot, as they are torque to yield bolts. (And those subframe threads are prone to strippong already.). Not a place to use loctite.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hope I'm describing which bolts correctly.

ylwagon, sirwired I believe these are the correct ones I'm referring too.

I went to the dealers parts department and he looked them up then looked at the history of the bolts to motor mounts. They didn't see where they sold any bolts with the mounts. I asked a master service tech there and he said there was no reason to replace them unless there in bad shape.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Frankly, my mind boggles that any dealer tech would re-use a TTY subframe bolt. That makes about as much sense as re-using head bolts. It can't be to save money... even at full retail, that bolt is like $2.12. I can understand not swapping some of the bolts where the only reason it's being replaced is because VW doesn't trust techs with a bottle of loc-tite. But TTY bolts are a different animal entirely.

The TTY process inherently puts them "in bad shape" by elongating the bolt. If nothing else, the threads are going to be a bit shallow the second time you use it.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Seems two different discussions going on...

Dropping the subframe (and buying the necessary stretch bolts) is not required to replace your three engine and two (maybe more for the 4-Motion) transmission mounts. Now, if you want to remove the metal brackets the left and right engine mounts rest on (for more working room), knock yourself out.

Here is the write up from the Passatworld Information Base: V6 Engine Mount R&R DIY

Who'da thunk we actually had that^? ...after ~19 years. ;)

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
If VW charged a lot for these bolts, I can understand a reluctance to re-use, but they really are that cheap. Given that the alternative is your subframe dropping onto the road suddenly while driving (and these particular threads are well-known for stripping), I'd say they are worth the $4.50 or so.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Electron Man

In pic's 2 and 3 of your link. That aluminum bracket that has 3 bolts and holds the sway bar in place is what I'm talking about. Are those not stretch bolts? Is that not part of the sub frame? Does that aluminum bracket have to line back up perfectly?

Forgive me if I'm asking the same question or not understanding this correctly. I'm trying to get info from my phone while at work.

Thank you for all the help people

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I changed the motor mounts yesterday and followed the link supplied by Electron Man It was pretty much spot on with the instructions!! :thumbup: Both of them had leaked their fluids. The passenger side had significant separation in the rubber. Enough so that it was easy to break it in 1/2 :icon_eek:

No one around had any of the 6 bolts that hold the bracket that the sway bar and motor mounts connect to. I inspected them and the threads looked fine. No irregularities in them compared to the thread areas that don't get touched. Put some blue Loctite on them and reinstalled.

Vibration at idle is significantly less :)

Thank you for all the guidance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.