Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after 50K+ miles of tempting fate, the last 10K of them very seriously tempting fate, my belly pan finally gave up and started to fall off. It appears to be attached at the back still.

It seems that you can drive at about 25mph with it tucked up under the bumper on one side. Anything above that and it catches the wind and starts to drag. I will find out in the morning when it is light out.

Chronology of my belly pan screws (for fun):
500mi - separate driver's side fenderliner from belly pan in large puddle. Well worth the sploosh!
10K mi - 35K mi - lose rest of wheel liner screws to dealer in Philly.
40K mi - lose front screws to dealer in Savannah.
45K mi - lose little nut in front to dealer in Troy.
51K mi - lose belly pan. ;)

So there you have it. The lifetime of one belly pan. I hope it is still salvagable. I will start carrying zip ties now. :oops:

Uh, not looking good.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Mine completely fell off on the freeway at eighty after an oil change place forgot to put the screws back :mad: . I change my own oil now!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Be carefull with the zipties. They held the belly pan in place but I ended up having a "V" groove hole in the wheel well liner. The wheel well is held in place with the support of the Belly Pan. I am on my 2nd belly pan and the the Plastic half turn screws in the wheel well fall off every few thousand miles now. $2 a piece :mad:

G

·
belly pan smelly pan i got rid of mines and never looked back, now i have a cool polished oil pan....you know you want one!

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Damn Alex! And I thought mine was a cobbled together pile of crap. Mine looks like a Dr. Frankenstien experiment gone very bad. I've had to use pop rivits and metal straps to hold the dame thing all together. It's been ground down in spots to a paper thin level, cracked, bounced on by my kids and utterly abused in various and horible ways. :oops: :sad: :shock: :crazy: :roll:

But at least it hasn't just dropped off the bottom of the car like yours has. Errr... maybe I shouldn't say that out loud, you never know what might happen with these things. :roll:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts