Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an appointment with Kelly @ Wetterauer to chip, but there is an APR chipped ECU on the classifieds for $450 which is mine if I want it. I'm conflicted. I guess with the money I just spent at the dealer (http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=690040#690040) I should opt for the Wett because of the $150 difference and since there isn't a lot of difference in performance. Plus I don't plan on selling the car anytime soon. I can switch back to stock programming if I need to go back to the stealer, but will have to open up the ECU for that. APR is convenient but that's about it.
Any help or opinions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Neenad,
I'm leaning the same way. I'm trying to come up with a valid justification for a second ECU and I'm having a hard time.
Am I missing some nuance?
Anyone else?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
The ECU will be good if you are still under warranty. That way they wont be able to flash your chip (its happened before) and they wont be able to say hey, this car is being heavily abused with some remapping of the ECU with good reason.

Extra ECU would be nice. Convenient.. is this convenience worth the cash?

·
Registered
493 Posts
As long as you are assured you won't have issues from APR, I'd go with APR because they have a local rep. I love my Wett chip for the price but ended up getting an extra ECU just in case so I didn't really save over what you would be paying.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
I bought an ECU out of the classifieds already chipped for my '99 1.8t.

I agree that it's nice to have a spare around.

Keep in mind that if you buy an APR chipped ECU, you will need to pay a $50 warranty transfer fee to get the APR warranty.

I'm happy with the customer service at APR. Patrick and Jeremy are helpful and friendly.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
NotAPreppie said:
I bought an ECU out of the classifieds already chipped for my '99 1.8t.

I agree that it's nice to have a spare around.

Keep in mind that if you buy an APR chipped ECU, you will need to pay a $50 warranty transfer fee to get the APR warranty.

I'm happy with the customer service at APR. Patrick and Jeremy are helpful and friendly.
Thanks, I haven't considered that yet either. This forum is one of the biggest pluses about owning my car.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Get the APR chip all the way.. It may cost more, but you will be getting a spare ecu with the deal (all that stuff new would cost over $1500) FWIW, this may be anectdotal, but I see alot of WETT horror stories posted here all the time.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
... WETT horror stories posted here all the time
In all fairness to Wett, I would say that for every "horror" story, there are many, many more satisfied Wett customers. And as far as I know, most if not all the issues were resolved by Wett one way or another.
And yes, I would agree these are all anecdotal - I remember seeing "horror" stories for almost all the common chips on this Board, APR included ... :)

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The fact is, I'm not sure about buying a secondhand ECU/chip. Nothing against the seller. Plus, Wett is cheaper right now, their office is 2 hours away from me if anything goes wrong and I can switch it back to stock mode if I plan a trip to the dealer. I think I'm covering all of the bases. I'm hoping not to contribute to any more horror Wett anecdotes.
P.S. I've looked and usually the problems were immediately rectified by Wett or was unrelated to the chip. I'll be going there in person so if there are any issues the will get solved on the spot. I'll not leave Kelly alone until my baby is a fire breathing monster. :lol:

·
Registered
329 Posts
Who should you go with? Tough question, actually had this discussion with another board member last night. APR apparently does LOADS and LOADS of testing on their ECU's but is still a fairly new company. Wett however has been around for many YEARS and chips damm near everything probaby including some small animals. So they definately know what they are doing and are very experienced. It's a toss up. I have APR because I got a good deal and they are 2hrs from me, my buddy has Wett since he got a good deal and they are two hours from him.

Just an FYI, I have a second hand ECU and have had 0 problems.

Both are good companies with good products.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd love to get my cat chipped for when we play fetch. The only thing that I'm conserned about is torque steer. I don't want him bumping into stuff.
:thumbup: :lol:

·
Registered
224 Posts
I just bought an APR chipped used ECU for my 2000 from the classifieds here about two weeks ago. Had stock and 91 octane EMCS settings. Took it to my local APR rep, APTuning, and they reflashed it with stock and 93 for $25. He said it was one of their earlier EMCS chips, with serial number 1984. Says they're up to the 8000's now. It is great, paid $425. Plus I get to keep my stock ECU for whatever. Very smooth boost response, very factory like. What the 1.8 should be, but not so neck snapping that I worry about reliability of turbo or engine internals. Good luck in your decision, but I am now pro-APR.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
HarrisburgJoe said:
I just bought an APR chipped used ECU for my 2000 from the classifieds here about two weeks ago. Had stock and 91 octane EMCS settings. Took it to my local APR rep, APTuning, and they reflashed it with stock and 93 for $25. He said it was one of their earlier EMCS chips, with serial number 1984. Says they're up to the 8000's now. It is great, paid $425. Plus I get to keep my stock ECU for whatever. Very smooth boost response, very factory like. What the 1.8 should be, but not so neck snapping that I worry about reliability of turbo or engine internals. Good luck in your decision, but I am now pro-APR.
Cool, unfortunately there are no local APR vendors in my area. Wett is the closest one and that's 150 mile drive. Nice to hear that you're happy with your chip :thumbup: .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts