Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since PES seems to be falling through with the GIAC chip - my last 2 e-mails have gone unanswered and it's been 7 months since the ball got rolling, I'm contemplating Wettauer. Good ? Bad ??

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
outside of the fact that wett germany is bankrupt, Kelly and the US operation has top notch customer service.

Do they even have an app for the 8 yet? I know that some people got some of their ECU's back with bad soldering jobs, but the guy doing it got let go....

I think as long as you're willing to be the guinea pig, Kelly will work with ya.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Ditto's for Kelly and Wett USA. FWIW, what I hear about Wett DE is that they have "restructured"; the new company is called Wetterauer Racing AG and business is good as far as Kelly knows (got this tidbit from her some time ago).

I'd go with Wett again ... :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
716 Posts
Although I read of several problems, apparently both bad solder issues and purportedly programing on certain vehicles, I have had zero problems with my Wett chip. Works great in my '02 1.8T and in my brother's '01.5 as well. When they have problems, Kelly stands on her head to get it right. I'd recommend without reservation. :thumbup:

·
Registered
334 Posts
the customer service is very good.

the only thing that i noticed after the chip was my MPG. i went from about 360mi a tank to 260mi a tank. kind of sucks. but the difference it makes as far as power is very impressive.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
atomicalex said:
:thumbup: :thumbup: to Kelly and to Frank's programming.
Hear hear!

Now if I could just fix my boost leaks (intercooler o-rings) i could keep the chip in for more than an hour. :D

Love the chip. Socketed is the only way to go. Buy one - you'll like it.

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
I've been wondering for some time if their W8 chip would be worth it. But now ones stepped up and done it to my knowledge and if they have we haven't heard anything yet.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I have a Wett chip and i love it!

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
eurotrash said:
the customer service is very good.

the only thing that i noticed after the chip was my MPG. i went from about 360mi a tank to 260mi a tank. kind of sucks. but the difference it makes as far as power is very impressive.
Leadfoot! :poke:

If you actually drive the speed limit (yes, its possible), you can make ridiculous mileage. I made the 71 mile trip from Norwalk, CT to Newark, NJ with 41.0 mpg average w/ my 1.8T chipped by Wetterauer. :shock: That's a potential 672 miles before filling up. Screw hybrids, just drive like a grandma! :p

·
Registered
602 Posts
Had some issues with the programming. Kelly went back and forth with me every step of the way. I was refunded with no hassles and profuse apologies. I was so impressed with the customer service, I came back and they resolved the problem. If Kelly is there, I give Wett my full endorsement.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
The Wett chip will be the best performace/$ you'll ever spend on your car. At least that would be the case for the 1.8T and V6 program. Also, their customer service can't be matched by anyone in this business.

Long live Wett :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I have a Wett chip and eventhough I got my chip from a Canadian distributor, I spoke to Kelly before I got the chip. She recommended Vince from Autobraun in Calgary AB. I was impressed by their customer service. I have 25,000 kms on the chip now and zero problems since I got it.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Little trouble at first... all it took to fix was 4 minutes to put the stock chip back in, and two overnight flights to get a new PERFECT chip.

I've kept a socket wrench and the socket that fits the ECU box in my truck ever since, (10k) and I've never had to use it!

Kelly ROCKS! Go 1.1 bar!

·
Registered
448 Posts
I also have the Wett chip and is quite satisfied with the improved power. The only problem I have is their web is mostly written in German and with the chip they sent me, there was no owners manual or anything. I don't even know if it is a 0.8 bar, 1.0 bar or 1.3 bar chip and what kind of output figures I can expect. I think they should provide more info in English for this great product. As to the customers service, I agree Kelly is a helpful person.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts