Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1.Now what is a wett bar chip?
2. How is it different from a chip from anyother company?
3. what do the #s mean? wett .8 wett 1.1 ?
4. what advantages does it give you?
5. Horsepower? Boost? Torque?
6. Gas Mileage?
7. Engine destroy? Turbo destroy?

Sorry about all of the questions. I just have no idea what it is. I am not really a noob to cars either.

·
Registered
370 Posts
6. Gas Mileage?

Sorry about all of the questions. I just have no idea what it is. I am not really a noob to cars either.
1. It's a chip for your engine. One of many companies out there
2. Wett is said to be one of the more conservative chips, ittle less jerky and more smoothe, though not top of the pack as far as power
3. .8 and 1.1 refers to the bar programs. 1.1 is more powerful than the .8
4. Chips give you more boost which emans more HP, plus some say if driven moderatley, improve gas mileage
5. You can expect a 30-50 HP gain based on type\brand of chip; boost increase with higher program; torgue increase a lot too, which really helps
6. If you are a spirited driver, your mileage will go down, reverse is also true
7. Most say chips wont hurt your engine at all, but its a good idea some say to upgrade your diverter valve and vacuum hoses.

hope this gets you started.

fyi - i got my 99 passat 5-speed Wett chipped at 55K miles and it really made a difference and i saw nice mileage improvement and lots of extra power when and where i need it.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
The problem with Wett though is you have to send your ECU to them to be socketed and chipped. Most GIAC and APR chips can flash the ECU at their reps location and then you are good to go.

Wett is cheaper, you can usually find one floating around the classifieds, just make sure it matches your model year & ECU numbers. Then you just send it to them and for a small fee they put it in.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
local support?
will it not pass smog or somthing, its strict over here in California.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
I own a Wetterauer chip for my 2002 1.8T and I would have say pass on the Wett chip as well. It's a decent chip but there are better ones out there. I have the Tipronic transmission and I think it hinders that setup sometimes, maybe it's better on the manuals.

If I had to do it again, I would spend the extra money and go GIAC or APR.

Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have an 91 octane APR chip for my 99 1.8T manual - its great. I had to send this in to get soldered in my ECU, no problem just had to wait 3 days w/o the car. Not to bias you, but APR has good support and they've been around a while.

search the forums for plenty of info...

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Are you sure it's APR that you have? APR has great customer service and does not require you to solder a chip, It's strictly a bios flash on your existing OEM chip. I think everyone is speaking about Wett's poor support not APR.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I think GIAC can only flash newer cars - my 2003 V6 had to be soldered (2 years ago) but I think they flashload it now.
I just had my 2003 "E" file W8 chipped a month ago by the local GIAC rep.
Got the handheld flashloader w/ "pump" 91-93 octane, "stock", and "race" for 100+ octane, files - and he locked my Tip in sports mode no charge.
APR offers a similar system, but they use the cruise control as a switcher.
GIAC also allows you to vary boost level (Low, Medium, High) if you purchase the handheld loader - check out goapr.com and giacusa.com.
Some local guys up here also run RevoTek in their 1.8Ts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Are you sure it's APR that you have? APR has great customer service and does not require you to solder a chip, It's strictly a bios flash on your existing OEM chip. I think everyone is speaking about Wett's poor support not APR.
I think some of the older chips are soldered in.

·
Punches Dubs. True Story
9,982 Posts
6. Gas Mileage?

Some of the answers were not as complete as they might have been. Considering that someone out there may actually use the search function one day ...

There's no such thing as a "wett bar" chip. I'm planning on building a wet bar in my basement someday, but what you're really referencing is a performance-enhancing "chip" or program from Wetterauer - commonly shortened to "Wett". Wett is one of the companies (APR, GIAC, others) that offer enhancements to your car's stock computer program that increases your car's top HP and TQ output.

While some chips are rated based on the grade of gasoline that must be used in conjunction (APR 93 Oct), Wett chips are referenced based on the amount of turbo boost they'll give you. A Wett .8 Bar enhancement will have your turbo putting out approx. 0.8 Bar of pressure. (Bar = 1.0 Atm = 14.7psi) The 1.1 Bar chip puts out 1.1 Bar. (I believe that the stock setting for the turbo in the 1.8t set up is something like 0.4 Bar.)

The advantage is more power and a higher top speed. The disadvantage is that this is fun and you may find yourself stopping for gas more often.

Whatever you do ...enjoy!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts